Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Got Rain????

Yesterday afternoon, we started getting warnings about rain and severe thunderstorms, and actually got some tornado warnings, which for Idaho that is just weird.

By the time it got to around 5pm, the rain started coming down real hard. It's been raining since then, so when I opened my front door this morning this is what I saw:



Instead of being annoyed that it was raining, I couldn't help but to sigh at the sight. All the green trees and the beautiful lawn, my beautiful rose bush and that wonderful-can't-describe smell of rain. You know the one I'm talking about right???
So I thanked God for the rain!!!

I had almost forgotten that the Fifa World Cup had started. I'm portuguese and if you're from Europe you know how HUGE the world cup is, that together with the fact that I'm a soccer fan, had me scrambling to the computer and the tv to find out when the matches were being played.
I was happy to find that they had just started so I would be able to watch all my favorite teams.
Now I know at this point a lot of you are just staring at the computer in utter shock, wondering if I've lost my mind, or maybe you're just struggling with the mental picture of this SAHM sitting on the couch yelling at the tv, things like "Oh COME ON", "Give him a red card", "Hey that was completely offside". Yes, hard to imagine, but maybe I will take a picture or film it for you all???? LOL

See I grew up with just boys, I have 3 brothers. When it was World Cup Season, we would sit in front of the tv and root for Portugal or Brazil to win. It's what I remember doing with my brothers and I guess in a way, this helps me feel closer to them. Well, actually, I just love Soccer and can't deny it LOL

With Curt working this weekend, I know what I'll be doing this saturday morning. Watching Portugal vs Iran. Yep, wish you could be a fly on the wall, I go on to full portuguese mode and my poor kids just look at me trying to desperately understand even if just a word that comes out of my mouth. I WILL eventually teach them portuguese. For now I'm happy that they enjoy soccer too, they sat with me yesterday afternoon as we watched Brazil vs Croatia. It was fun!!!

Alright, so now that you know that little secret fact about me, let's move on.

I uploaded a video of Bella dancing. Yes, we didn't know she danced on demand and it's really funny to watch, so go on over to my Pug blog to see it.

I also updated my food blog with a recipe that my greatgrandma used to make all the time. It's for a Portuguese Rice Pudding (Arroz Doce). It's sooooo good, so if you are looking for an easy and deliscious dessert, be sure to give it a try, I even share my photo of the one I made last night. I will also be adding my menu for the next two weeks so be sure to check back later today.

This morning while at the thrift store, I found something I had been wanting for a while. It's one of those smokeless small indoor grills. It was only $5, can you believe it? Can't wait to cook on there :)

So what's on my to do list today:

  1. Vacuum and steam clean the living room carpet
  2. Laundry, wash, fold and put away
  3. Work on my Recipe Scrapbook
  4. Post weekly menus on Food Blog
  5. Dye my hair (yes I have to because I'm being overtaken by grey hairs)
  6. Work on budget for this pay period
  7. Get bills filed away and new ones ready to pay
  8. Mop kitchen floor

Right now I have to get the kids some lunch, they want tuna salad. I make it alot because it's so quick and easy and the kids just gobble it down, I think it's one of those dishes that they have seconds and thirds. Plus it's a great lunch for summer days!

God Bless!!!


12 comments:

Charla said...

I love the smell of rain too!! Especially on fresh cut grass, there's just nothing else like it! :) Thanks for the comment on my blog. Let's just see if I can get all that laundry put away before next tuesday! LOL Talk to ya later!
Big Hugs,
Charla

rena said...

World Cup soccer!! Yeeehaaaa. Totally know what you mean. Vancouver is a very ethnically mixed city and our local newscast is doing a special every night where they take their camera crews into the various cultural centres and places where nationals are gathering to watch "their" country play. They had the cameras at the Portugese Cultural Centre the other day and those fans were CR AZ EE! Today it's Germany and Poland's turn.

Sandra said...

charla - oh man me too, nothing like the smell of rain and fresh cut grass :) Big hugs to you :)

mugwumpmom - YAY you know what I mean LOL Oh yeah, portuguese get very carried away with it, it's like that all over europe actually, businesses close and everything grinds to a halt while their teams are playing LOL

Bethany said...

Oh rain, rain! Sounds soooo wonderful. Can you tell we are having a drought?

I do love the smell of rain....and the glow of the grass and bushes....

Okay. I'm officially jealous!

someone else said...

What a terrific sight and smell to greet the day. Aren't we having crazy weather??

I understand about the sports events. I have 5 brothers and growing up it was baseball and basketball year round. My son-in-law loves soccer, so now we hear about that too.

Beck said...

Oh, the smell of rain. I grew up in the country but I love the smell of rain in town - the way wet pavement smells! I think we're in for some rain tonight...

Diane Viere said...

You have a busy day ahead of you! And how happy you sound in spite of the busy-ness.....that rain smell must have mesmerized you! I love the smell of rain too. And you are right--it does motivate!

Diane

Shionge said...

Hi Sandra - Yes I love the smell of the rain and Yes Sandra! Hurry for Cup Fever and ok..I'll be cheering for Portugal now that I know your 'secret'

I'll be around to embrace new found friendship with you.

Cheers from Sunny Singapore :P
Ole! Ole!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the world cup! As much as I know about rugby and cricket, I know nothing about soccer lol

Sandra said...

bethany - LOL want me to send some rain your way? We still have it here and it's supposed to rain again today.

morning glory - This is just weird weather for idaho LOL I love soccer, it's the one sport that I really enjoy :)

beck - nothing better than the smell of rain huh? :)

Diane - Yes I did, and I managed to get it all done ;)

Janice - LOL would be bad if you didn't like the smell of rain.....I think there's nothing better than it :)

shionge - Thank you for stopping by my blog :) Can't wait to read yours and become blogging buddies :)

mel - LOL I used to enjoy watching cricket, never cared for rugby though LOL

Emily - Thank you :) I'm glad that I can be an inspiration to you in some way :) It's taken me years to get this organized LOL As for you flying out for the laundry, BRING IT ON!!! LOL I will gladly help you with the budgets and the menu plans LOL How was the chicken??? Love ya girl, been thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers :)

Christina said...

I happened upon your blog and just thought is was great. I love this picture. What a nice neighborhood yours looks like. I am here in Hawaii living on post and I can't wait to move back to the mainland where I can enjoy a nice neighborhood where it occasionally rains and all is green. Here the rain stops all summer and everything on our post turns brown.

Christina said...

By the way I checked out the rice pudding and it looks so yummy that I am going to make it tonight. My daughter is married to a Mexican guy who makes something similar. Like Rachael Ray would say YUM-O