Saturday, July 01, 2006

Happy and Sad?!?!?!


Is there such a thing??? I mean I'm ecstatic about Portugal moving on but I'm so sad about Brazil being eliminated by France. Yes, I'm talking soccer again. Today was a full day of soccer for us, we yelled and screamed at the tv and cried and cheered when Portugal won, then I wanted to cry again when Brazil lost LOL

Anyway, moving on. We finally got all my paperwork finished, got more passport photos taken and everything notarized. Let me tell you, there's one job I think I could do on the side, like a part time gig to my SAHM full time job. We paid $30 just to have the lady put a stamp on the photocopies and sign it. Shouldn't it be cheaper, or maybe I'm in the wrong business....That's all I'm saying!!!

I'm glad everyone likes the new template, I was getting bored with the other one and needed a change. If you find that you're missing from my links, please let me know, I think I have everyone but I might have missed somebody by mistake. Don't be shy, just let me know :)

We've spent a nice day, just the family, at home watching soccer, playing games and just hanging out. Tried to take the pugs out for a walk this afternoon, but it was SO hot I honestly thought I was going to pass out. The pugs weren't enjoying it either, so we walked to the park and right back home so they could get out of the heat. Poor things, if you could just hear them snorting around.

Nicholas is now fully potty trained. He not only wears just underwear during the day, but he wears it all night long AND he goes potty standing up. Ok maybe you didn't want to hear that, but as a mom it's a MAJOR achievement.....and I'm even more excited because I taught him myself LOL
Should have seen my face when he asked me to go standing up too....."sure hon, I'll work on that and get back to you". As if!!!

Thank you all for the advice on getting Jasmine to read. I've tried most of what everyone said but I'm still having no luck. It's not that she doesn't like to read, I just don't think she likes being told she HAS to read. She gives me all these excuses, like "can I read it to myself?", "can I read a smaller book?", "I don't feel like it".......and the list goes on and on. But I'm going to persevere and hopefully she starts cooperating :)



While sitting around today, I found myself remisnicing about different times in my life, things that happened when we lived in Portugal, things that happened when we took trips to Mozambique (where I was born) etc. I was telling Curt about this one time that we went to Mozambique on vacation. We stayed in Maputo but then we took a ferry across a river to Marracuene or Macaneta, I can't remember the name, I'm sure my dad will tell me later.
But what I loved about it is that we got to this place and it had a river on one side, then a huge sand hill separated the beach on the other.



The restaurant was on the river side, and had these beautiful bungalows outside, where we sat for lunch. You can see above the top of the bungalows. Now this is the beach, we came here for some sun and then headed back on over the hill to the other side to eat.
Here's the greatest part thought, we looked through the menu and then ordered our food which was Clams, Prawns and Peixe-Galo (Atlantic Moonfish). WOW is all I can say about that one, it's the best fish I've ever tasted.

But you order your food, and they tell you it will be a while because you see them give the orders to a bunch of guys sitting around, they then stand up, get on a small fishing boat and go out and CATCH your lunch. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Now THAT is what I call fresh. Top that with a couple of cold beers and you have a beautiful lunch :)

On the way out to leave, we came across a few ladies selling fresh fish and seafood. We bought a HUGE bag of clams, it was like 6 kilos for R6.00(rands), which is less than a dollar.



We're going to be heading to South Africa next summer and I'm definitely taking my family to Mozambique. I just can't wait. But don't worry, I'll have access to my blog and will be able to take you ALL with me, of course you're more than welcome to come along :)

Well it's time for kids bedtimes, gotta go do the usual convincing, tell them that it really IS time to sleep and nothing interesting will happen while they're in bed. You know, the usual kid things.
Hope you're all having a great weekend, will see you in the morning with a hot cup of Irish Cream Coffee :)

9 comments:

Looney Mom™ said...

I just can't my son Jaden to read; he acts like I'm asking him to walk on a board of nails when he does. I don't know why.

He almost didn't pass 1st grade because he just wasn't reading at the 1st grade level. Then we took him to get his eyes checked; that made a HUGE difference.

Now he's just being lazy, though so I don't really have any advice - just yacking!

Angie said...

Sounds like you are having a nice relaxing weekend. Kinda wish we were relaxing...but that is another post indeed. Just got home from seeing Superman Returns at the Drive-in. Hmmm...it was alright. So I am off to do laundry (I know you are thinking it is midnight and you are doing laundry...yep!) Crazy, I know, we've been busy playin'. Anyways, obviously I am tired cause I am rambling away, sorry! I will grab a cup of mocha with ya in the AM. (Fat free mocha that is...ugh!)

Angie said...

Me again, why is your right sidebar at the bottom? Just wonderin'?

someone else said...

Way to go, Nicholas!!

Glad your day was so nice. Ours was too.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you and Nicholas on the potty training

MaR said...

Over from eph2810 following a link to a soccer fan, cheers for youuuuu! I have been watching so much soccer, I am very happy about Portugal and still can't believe Brazil is out! love your pictures, I was in Tavira a year ago and enjoyed the scenery of the Algarve. Happy weekend, Happy 4th of july and happy World Cup to you!

Shionge said...

Yo Sandra! Although supporting England right when the World Cup commences, I must admit that Portugal played well last night.

Like your new template....cool!

Sandra said...

Liz - See with Jasmine, she LOVED reading in First grade and kindergarten, and she still loves books, but the minute I say "you have to read today", she gets annoyed and doesn't want to anymore. Kids!!!

Angie - Are you the laundry fairy? LOL Up late doing laundry while others are asleep? LOL Hope you get some rest, and I'll have your fat-free (ugh) mocha waiting LOL

morning glory- Glad you had a good day :) Ours was really nice but today I definitely need to get some cleaning done around here :)

mrs blythe - LOL Yes it IS Football, or how we say it in portuguese "Futebol". I usually say soccer because we're in the states and if I say Football they think I'm talking about "American Football" LOL Very confusing. Sorry England got knocked out, they played well, just didn't like Rooney, I think he plays dirty. Thanks for dropping by my blog :)

Mel - Thank you :) I'm happy that I was able to teach him how to do something I can't even do myself LOL

Mar - I can't believe Brazil is out either, it's actually shocking but in a way not so much, they haven't exactly been playing soccer the way we're used to seeing Brazil play :) I visited Marbella and Malaga and it was just beautiful, loved every minute :) Happy World Cup to you too :)

Michelle said...

Congratulations on the potty-training being accomplished! Big news indeed!