Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Treasure Tuesday!!!



The treasure I have to share with you today, has made it all the way from South Africa, intact and in perfect condition. It wasn't easy and I remember making the trip thinking "oh boy, this is not going to work".



I'm talking about an Ostrich Egg. Yes from a real ostrich, and no it's not full of egg inside, it's one of those Hand Painted Ostrich Eggs.

No matter where you go in South Africa, you're sure to find these beauties all over, on street corner tables, at large craft markets, at expensive stores, you name it.



This one is special to me, not only because it's from back home, but it was one the first things that hubby and I bought together, as a married couple.
We had just made a trip to Sun City with my dad and stepmom, and on the way back home we came across a bunch of little street markets scattered along the road. We stopped to pick up some mementos, and this one caught our eye.

It survived a long two day airplane ride, and it's been with us for the past 8 years. It brings back fond memories of beautiful South Africa.
So there you have it, my Treasure for today. For a list of other participants, head on over to Faithful Mommy. :)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

What a beautiful hand-painted egg! It's amazing it survived a 2-day airplane ride - wow! I can see why this is a treasure for you.

Carol said...

That's really beautiful! Amazing, the craftsmanship and handiwork we find abroad!

Beck said...

Beautiful! So how DID you get it home safely?

Unknown said...

A good friend on mine has a bowl full of those on their coffee table. They moved to where I live from South Africa around 10 years ago. I love looking at the artwork and different items they brought with them. Every year they spend the summer back there, I hope to join them one time and get my own giant eggs!

Kim from Hiraeth said...

So beautiful, Sandra! Your treasures are always so exotic!