Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday!!!



It's wednesday and that means another "Works for Me Wednesday". I think that by now I probably don't have to tell you where to go for a list of other participants, BUT in case you're here for the first time, head on over to Shannon's Blog.

I don't have a coffee table in my living room.

  1. Because the kids use it as a play gym and think it's fun to get on and then jump off.
  2. Because it really does take up way too much room, in our already small living room.
  3. Because it just invites the kids to eat in the living room, hence spilling everything on the floor around them.
After getting rid of the coffee table, we were left with a lot more room, but no place to set our remotes and magazines etc. It was a constant battle trying to find that elusive remote control. It was really good at hiding too, sometimes under the couch, other times behind the couch pillows and it even made it BEHIND the couch on day.

I wanted a quick and easy way to keep them all in one place. I had this basket which I had found at a yard sale for like 25c. It doesn't have any handles and it was just perfect for this.
I set it next to the couch, filled it with our magazines, Jasmine's Chapter books, and then I placed a small flower pot where I put all the remotes. Everytime someone uses the remote, it goes right back into it's holder and I've had NO problems finding it ever since.
Even the kids follow the rules, and know where to find the remotes if they want to change the channel. Works for me!!!!




14 comments:

Laura said...

Hi, you can never go wrong with a basket....looks great! BTW I love the Taste of Home cooking magazines too!

Susanne said...

Great idea! We didn't have a coffee table for years either! Never thought of this. Clever. Love your new look! Did you do it yourself?

someone else said...

What a great idea! I have a similar thing for magazines, but we found a small coffee table several years ago at a yard sale that is indestructible and put that in the den. The grandkids can play on it all they want and I don't worry about it getting ruined. It's looking more loved all the time!

Mama Duck said...

Now to keep the little one from taking everything out of the basket.... our remotes love to hide as well, despite our baby gym/coffee table ;).

Shalee said...

We don't have one either, but that is because I kept knocking my shins on it and thought, "I know how to fix that!"

Actually, I love the space that is available if you don't have a coffee table there.

Beck said...

I'm with you in the Absent Coffeetable Club AND we have the same magazines at my house! I find that baskets disintergrate pretty quickly, though - is yours holding up?

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That's smart, AND cute--and my magazine rack is getting pretty ratty. Hmmmm...maybe it's time for a change!

Unknown said...

Your blog is beautiful. I like that idea, and I like the reiman publications, too!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

We do have a coffee table, but lived for years without one because I couldn't find "just" the right one. We STILL lose the remote. Maybe I should have a basket behind the sofa just for that (either that or I'm gluing it to something!). That is so cute!

Love your blog - beautiful!

Michelle said...

Great idea! We don't have a coffee table either. Once Kayla had started pulling to stand she would pull all the mags off the table! We never put it back up either because, well, base housing living room is too small anyway!

Glass Half Full said...

I think I comment over and over again how I am a basket/container addict!! If I need to place a bunch of things somewhere -- GRAB A BASKET!!! Seriously they look great and keep things from scattering all over the place. :)

Carol said...

Very clever! Great problem-solving. I think this may be the solution I've been looking for in the kids' playroom. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Good suggestion. Looks like it's working for you well.
Pam

Overwhelmed! said...

Sandra, this is great! We don't have a coffee table either. I might try this.

I posted my first WFMW. Stop by and take a peek. :)