Sunday, August 13, 2006

Getting Crafty!!!!



We had such a good day today. We got some housework done this morning, me inside and the hubby outside in the yards, and then the kids got to play in the sprinkler again right before lunch.

After lunch we were all just sitting around and I decided to do some crafts.....call it inspiration brought on by some of the new blogs I found.

The first thing we did was make some cool crayons for the kids. I got the idea from Beck over at Frog and Toad are Friends....go on over and see what she and her kids were up to :)
I can't believe I never thought of this myself, I tend to walk around the house collecting tons of crayon pieces, halves etc. Without knowing what to do with them, I just tossed it all in the trash, but NOW guess what we'll be doing with all of those???




The kids are so exited over their new funky crayons. You know come to think of it, I should have waited for Wednesday to use this as the WFMW LOL
Thank you Beck for the great idea :)

While the crayons were melting in the oven (and no I didn't cook them lol), I set about making some soaps. I've wanted to get into Soap Making for so long and just never had the time, but I figured today was it. I brought all my supplies out, not that many since it's a starter kit, but in no time I had made 4 beautiful soaps. Since the kit brings no fragrance oil or anything to add, and I didn't want just plain scenteless soap, I went looking for some sort of fragrance oil to use, I came up empty handed. But not for long, because then I remembered the Baby Oil I had sitting on my bathroom shelf. I poured some of it in with the glycerine and also added two drops of coloring. So instead of plain no scent blue soap, I ended up with this wonderful Baby Oil scented light purple beauties.

Here they are right after I poured them into the mold:



And here they are out of the mold, too bad I have to wait two weeks to actually use them or wrap them, they smell SO good....just like a baby freshly out of the bath:



What a fun afternoon it was.

We just finished having dinner and I am done with the dishes and the usual clean up, so now I'm heading upstairs for a nice warm bath, candles, bubbles and some soft music. Ahhhh great for the soul.

Btw, I posted tonight's dinner recipes on my Food Blog if you want to go take a look :)

7 comments:

Barb said...

Beck's crayons are great. I can't wait to use this idea. When Cameron gets a little older I know I'll have a gazillion little broken crayon pieces. And I'm headed to Full Bellies, Happy Kids right now.

Michelle said...

Your crayons came out great too! I'm going to start collecting Kayla's crayon pieces as well!

Your soap came out great too - quick thinking on your part w/the baby oil! :)

Melany aka Supermom said...

Hey that crayon idea is great!

Beck said...

Beautiful soaps! I'm glad you had fun making the crayons! Yours looked really cute!
Email me my blog code, pretty please - I've very excited!

Jen said...

I'm so impressed with your soaps. I wish I had time to do that......with Miller I'm lucky I have time to pee and Blog.
Jen

mom of 2 said...

I always loved melting crayons as a kid. When we had the garage sale a few weeks ago it was smoldering hot out and I sent Emily in to get her old broken crayons. They let them sit in the sun for a while and then they had the best time mixing and molding them. Who knew broken crayons could be so much fun??

Christina said...

BTW I just love the new look. Where do you get these awesome headers and how the heck do you put them on your blog.
I think the crayons are awesome and I think I will try this one day this week.
I tried soaps once and they came out pretty good, but I think yours are a lot nicer. I didn't know what I was doing so mine just came out plain white (boring) and I don't think I remembered to add scent.
I am going to check out your cooking blog, but I keep forgetting to mention I tried the rice pudding over a week ago and it was awesome. I am going to make some more this week. Your recipes look like their sooooo good. You must be a fantastic cook. If I lived next door I would invite myself over for dinner. Any chance you all will get stationed in Hawaii? Hickam air force base is nice and practically next door to me. In fact I go to the beach over there at least once a week.