Saturday, August 04, 2007

Taking the Proverbs Challenge!!!

I'm taking the Proverbs Challenge, do you want to join me??? August has 31 days and Proverbs has 31 Chapters, PERFECT!!!

If you want to read the rules or find out how to participate go check out this post and then join me and others.

You know the funny thing is that when my MIL and her hubby were here visiting he was telling me about Proverbs and how it's great to read a chapter a day during the months that have 31 days.....how neat is that??? Ok Lord, I get the message, I'm on in, reading Proverbs is what I need to do this month, I may not know exactly why yet, but I'm sure it will come to me.

***************************************

I've been spending way too much time on this computer, so much so that it's giving me headaches and messing up my eyes. No matter how much I sleep my eyes are still bloodshot and burning and itchy, yep I think it's time I cut back on the computer time and let my poor eyes heal. I often wonder how the people who work on computers daily, ever survive the beating on their eyes.

You know it's my birthday next week, on the 10th??? I'm turning 33 years old and it feels so darn weird to me because it seems that just yesterday I was graduating high school. I don't feel mature and old LOL I feel like the same old Sandra, still quirky and crazy and weary of responsibility, do we ever outgrow that feeling???

So, it's saturday and we're staying home, usually this is the day we run around and do all our errands in, but not today. For one, Curt is on weekend duty standby which means he has to be here in case he gets called in but I also don't feel like going anywhere, I think I want to lay in bed and read all day, maybe watch some movies or something. I need a quiet day after the craziness of moving and jumping right into normal life and not to mention school restarting on the 13th.

I have a question for you all...........do you also go through the Spiritual Rollercoaster???? I call it the rollercoaster because I've noticed that at times I'm extremely faithful and connected to the Lord, devouring everything in the bible and spiritual books that I can find and then suddenly, a month goes by, two months go by, three months and I realize that I've lost that connection, well maybe not LOST but definitely misplaced. I stray and that is usually when things start going wrong and I find myself wondering why.

I've been on the down side of the rollercoaster for a couple months and I miss the peace and the harmony I felt when I was closest to the Lord....having something happen and feeling nothing but peace and comfort in the knowledge that God will take care of it.

Well I'm happy to say that I'm back heading to the top of the rollercoaster, the past week I've felt this yearning for the Lord's word. It's quite scary when that happens because I literally feel like a scavenger, searching and searching for the christian music, the bible, the christian books and the devotionals and nothing seems to quench that thirst. So I'm throwing myself into it completely and letting it happen.

I've been listening to Michael W. Smith which has always been one of my favorites, I'm reading the Bible, I'm taking the Proverbs Challenge and I'm also reading Grab a Broom, Lord. . . There's Dust Everywhere!: The Imperfect Woman's Guide to God's Grace!!!
Oh and I've also rewatched my Nooma DVD's which if you have never watched, you really really need to.........my favorite is "Rain" go here to see the whole clip.

Things don’t always work out the way we want them to, or the way we think they will. Sometimes we don’t even see it coming. We get hit with some form of pain out of nowhere leaving us feeling desperate and helpless. That’s the way life is. Still, it makes us wonder how God can let these things happen to us. How God can just stand by and watch us suffer. Where is God when it really hurts? Maybe God is actually closer to us than we think. Maybe it’s when we’re in these situations, where everything seems to be falling apart, that God gets an opportunity to remind us of how much he really loves us.

**********************************************

For dinner tonight I'm making the Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken, I can't wait to try it, I'll let you all know what we thought of it.

With that my dear friends I'm leaving you, have a blessed saturday.!

18 comments:

Jen said...

You know Sandra....I think we all go through the Spiritual roller coaster....I think that is life. We attend church every Sunday and we read the bible but....when life happens like moving into a new home...sure we still go to church but my reading the bible slips.....it doesn't make us bad people. Praying helps me and reading devotionals....I know God knows I'm speaking to him...

Anonymous said...

Yes i go thru the roller coaster days too . But I still read my devnals and
go to church and do my bible studies.
but I know whatcha going thru.
and I know whatcha mean on he eyes burning on the computer.

Toknowhim said...

I was just telling some friends that same thing (the rollercoaster thing)... I called it being in a state of spiritual boredom, and I am so frustrated with it... My best friend told me to "sow to the Spirit" and that is what I am going to do until I breakthrough... and not just until the breakthrough.. I want to "sow to the Spirit" continually.. It is my only hope in life.

By the way, I can't wait to try some of your yummy looking recipes :)

Blessings..

Denise said...

Hi Sandra, I've enjoyed reading through your blog today. I know that rollercoaster feeling!
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs Denise

someone else said...

The rollercoaster gets us all from time to time. I really believe it's part of the spiritual growth process and learning more about the Lord.

Take a break whenever you need one. We'll be here when you get back.

Susanne said...

I think we all go experience the rollercoaster. I think it's part of growing in God. Will we continue on even though we don't "feel" spriritual. You're not alone on this one.

I wish I could stay in bed all day on a Saturday and read but somehow I think it would come back to haunt me with my 17 year old. ;v)

Michelle said...

Is your base privatized housing? Ours just went privatized and maintenance is now on call 24 hrs a day for emergencies. That's one thing I've always enjoyed about living on base too - not having to pay for any repairs or anything like that (Well as long as you didn't cause the damage! LOL)

How neat for you that the commissary has the bread from your homeland!

Cheri said...

Sandra,
My sister led me to your blog through your slow cooking Thursdays. I enjoyed this post because I've just been through similar feelings. I had a medical scare and it really threw me for a loop. God used it though and I'm back on the right track again also. Thanks for the Proverbs challenge- I'm in! Cheri

Anonymous said...

My roller coaster just bottomed out a few days ago :( I picked up my Bible and have been reading much more fervently! I also started a new blog devoted to spiritual matters. (link on my other blog if you wanna see it)

I'm still working my way back up the hill, but I'll get there! It's definitely the best place to be!

Sherry

ps On your last post -- I wanted to say that the "Saving Dinner" cookbook is one of my favorite all time cookbooks! I bought it a couple of years ago and it is covered in stickers (rated meals from 1-5!) and creased corners, paperclips, etc! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sweet Sandra
We all go through dry times in our lives. It is in these times that we think we are too big for God that He shows his love for us by gentlely pruning us back to Him. I have been saved 37 years and I have been through this phase many times. I praise God He never has left me there and never will.
Happy Birthday. My dd son will be 30 on the 13th. My I feel old. I could be your mom. LOL
Your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

Mari said...

You've said a lot I can relate to, but most of all the spiritual roller coaster. I think we all go through it. After a low, I certainly appreciate the highs more!
PS - Cheri (above) is my sister!

gail@more than a song said...

I think we all go through those roller coaster times.
I'm trying to read through Proverbs too.

Eden said...

Hey Sandra! I go through emotional coaster rides as well. Lovely song by MWS. I love him!

Hugs,
Eden

Knit-Wit said...

I'm glad you signed up to join. Thanks for plugging the challenge. It's been fun to see all the people who have signed up.

Terri said...

I love Michael W. Smith too. I agree that we all have spiritual rollercoasters. The sad thing is that we tend to stay "connected" more when there are problems in our life. Otherwise, I think we feel that we're handling life just fine by ourselves. Count me in for the Proverbs challenge. I'll just start a few days late!

Anonymous said...

I have gone through that roller coaster, too. I think what you're doing, immersing yourself in everything prayerful/Biblical and taking the Proverbs Challenge, are the very best things you can do!!! I have read through Proverbs this way a couple of different times, and each time I always pick up something new. It's happened to me over and over again, that I get some kind of physical ailment (like the eye thing) and I realize it's a kind of message that I need to re-focus and get back to where I should be. I would love to hear what you pick up from your Proverbs study this time around!!! =)

Eden said...

Just stopping by to check in on you. Hope all is well. I'm praying for you.

Hugs,
Eden

Looney Mom™ said...

Hate to admit it but yes I totally get the roller coaster syndrome. So sad isn't it? Why do we do that? Thank God though that God knows how weak and wayward we are.