Sunday, September 16, 2007

Space Center and Cabela's!!!!



We set out yesterday morning to the Arizona Challenger Space Center and what a blast we had. It's inexpensive, there's so much to see and learn, there's tours, presentations and gift shop etc.

Curt and Jasmine sat in on the presentation they had about "Understanding the Nature of Light", they really enjoyed it and I was only able to catch bits and pieces because it was an hour long and Nicholas was NOT going to sit through it. I spent the time walking around the building, letting him play in the rotunda which is surrounded by this six-story mural depicting the beginning of the universe, dinosaur time, human race, flight and space flight etc. It's beautiful!!!

Here's a slideshow of the pics I took:



We left the Space Center and headed to Cracker Barrel for dinner, on the way there we came across a dust storm. Curt is used to them, everytime he got deployed to the desert he would tell me about the horrible dust storms they went through, but for me and the kids it was pretty much the first time. It's horrible but I got some good pictures of the storm moving in and it was just amazing watching the cloud move across the land........look at these pictures, the storm is coming in from the left.




Suddenly we were right in the middle of it, driving down the freeway and all you could see was brown in front of you, the cars were slowing down and there was so much dust around.




We made it to Cracker Barrel and had a wonderful dinner then browsed around the gift store. Seriously, is there anyone out there that can get through that store without picking up at least one thing??? Because I can't, if it was up to me I would bring the whole store home. LOL
We walked out with some old fashioned bottled sodas, some old fashioned candy and I picked up a Gooseberry Patch cookbook "Slow Cooker Recipes". You better believe that I'll be picking up the whole collection of cookbooks they have, not all at once obviously, but slowly LOL


I also picked up one of my favorite lotions from Dionis "Blue Ridge Wildflower", it's made with goats milk and it's just wonderful, I love it.

Right next door to Cracker Barrel is the Cabela's World Outfitters and it's basically a HUGE store for outdoors stuff, camping, fishing, hiking, hunting and whatnot.

"massive 230,000 sq. ft. showroom is an educational and entertainment attraction, featuring a décor of museum-quality animal displays, huge aquariums and trophy animals interacting in realistic re-creations of their natural habitats."

They're NOT kidding when they say this, it's really not just a publicity stunt to bring in people, you have to see it to believe it. There's the retail store, there is a restaurant which offers burgers and sandwiches etc but also some specialties such as Venison, Buffalo and Ostrich. There's a chocolate shop with so much yummy stuff and while you're walking around on the top floor (where all this is located), there's a small airplane hanging from the ceiling and all around you there's rocks with animals displayed on them in real life situations, attacking each other, or grazing or jumping over rocks.....it's just amazing. These are REAL life stuffed animals and we just couldn't believe the selection they had.



They also had an African Exhibit which made me feel right at home....the kids were jumping up and down and asking if these were all the animals they would see next year at the Kruger National Park. Now they're even MORE excited to go.



I have a LOT more pictures to share, but I'll do it another time.

This afternoon we're heading to the Glendale Main Library, it's HUGE, it's like being inside a Borders or Barnes and Noble, there's coffee shops and Booksales, Computer rooms and Youth areas and tons and tons of books. Can't wait.

I'll be back tomorrow with my Menu Plan Monday, don't forget to go on over to Laura's blog and add your name to Mr Linky if you're interested in sharing your own menu.

God Bless,

15 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, the pictures of the animals are amazing. How cool!

Let us know what you think of the cookbook.

Anonymous said...

i liked the pictures and im glad that yall had a great time!

Michelle said...

what a fun time you all had! I'd heard of Cabela's but have never been in one before - wow didn't realize what I was missing out on! Kayla would love the aquariums and animal displays!

someone else said...

Wow, you've had some great adventures. I love all the pictures!

Mari said...

What a day! Sounds like you all had fun. We have been to a Cabela's in Michigan and it is quite an amazing store! I have also gotten the goats milk lotion and really liked it.

Ladybug said...

Wow! You had a much better weekend then we did!! LOL

Jen said...

What amazing pictures....the dust storm is pretty amazing....wow.

Susanne said...

That outfitters looks amazing. What a fun day, all except for that dust storm. That looked a little scary to get caught up in.

And I'm wanting that cookbook! :vD

Cheri said...

My kids love Cabelas too! I can't wait to see what recipes come out of that book!
Cheri

Courtney said...

Pictures were great & looked like so much fun. Isn't it great having a day out with the family. May be crazy at moments but so worth it. I'm glad you all had a great time♥

Jill said...

I actually bought a nativity at a Cracker Barrel when we made a quick "pit stop" on the way to Asheville to tour the Biltmore. We didn't even eat there. My husband cracked up when he saw me carrying out the box with the nativity. It was under $40 and I cannot tell you how many compliments I get on it. So, I agree....it' impossible to come out of there empty handed.

Ms. Kathleen said...

Cabela's and Crackerbarrel. Now that is a GREAT combination!

We stop by Cabela's in Mitchell, SD whenever I visit family in Nebraska plus they are building one here in Rapid City! We do not as of yet have a Cracker Barrel, which in my opinion is downright horrendous! It is my favorite place to eat.

We used to visit the Space Museum in Omaha quite often and I loved going to the air shows when I was growing up - Dad was Air Force.

Thanks for some great photos and memories!

God Bless!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Wow, what a great day! The Space Center looks really cool. We've been to a couple and I'd love to go to that one also, one day :) We've been to a couple of Bass Pro Shops, which looks like the Cabelas'. We've actually ordered stuff for my husband from Cabela's online, so I know he'd love the actual store!

I LOVE Gooseberry Patch books, and I did NOT know they had a crockpot one. How fun! Can't wait to hear what you think of that one. They usually have really good recipes, very "do-able" :)

Have a wonderful trip to the library. From your description, I could easily spend a couple of hours in there, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like you had a great time! It is wonderful to be able to spend time together like that as a family, making memories :) Thanks for sharing,
Love,
Joy

smilnsigh said...

Yeah, just imagine living with that DUST, all the time. Just another one of those *little* things our military do for us, *on occassion.*

Mari-Nanci