Monday, November 26, 2007

Being sick and having no internet makes Sandra

something something........

Yes folks this was my weekend, no internet and sick as a dog. I have this horrible chest cold, my voice still sounds like I'm either hitting the bottle or smoking 10 packs a day and I have a nagging cough that does it's best to keep me up at night. But I can deal with all that, a little hot tea with some honey and lemon, some cold medicine, a little vicks on the chest at bedtime etc etc.

What I CAN'T deal with apparently is knowing that I have no internet. When did we all become so dependent on the online world??? (Yes I say WE because I don't want to feel like the only one addicted to it)
I had no idea that pretty much everything I do is done online, so when it's not available I feel naked and crazy, annoyed and frustrated and just don't know what to do with myself, which in itself is ridiculous because being a housewife there's always things to get done around here.....but they're boring.....boooorriinnnnng *stomps foot*

So anyway, I didn't have any new Netflix movies to watch and couldn't get online to surf, pay bills, check the bank, do christmas shopping, do my blog, look for recipes, look for crafts, visit blogs, look at Ghost Cams (yes I know, I get so bored at times I go out of my way to find interesting things to do lol).

I pulled out my books and on Saturday I hid out in my bedroom for pretty much the whole day. I felt so rebellious, I had already announced to the kids "Mommy is on vacation today, if you need anything ask Daddy". Doesn't really help because they still come to me for things, I think it's habit but I stuck to it, pointed towards the living room and uttered not a word....it worked.

I read 2 fulls books and am already on my third one....aaahhhh it feels good to read. With the holidays and everything else going on around here I don't really get to sit back and enjoy my books and I totally forgotten how much I love reading.

Highlander in Her Bed by Allie Mackay

What can I say? I'm a sucker for romance novels and especially medieval, historical, hot highlander knights seducing beautiful maidens. HAHA I can't believe I just said that out loud!

Anyway, this book is set in Scotland where Mara McDougall has inherited a castle and also fallen in love with a medieval looking bed which she bought while on a visit to England. BUT, the bed belonged to Sir Alexander Douglas and he is still haunting it, even worse, he has a grudge against the MacDougall and McDougall clans and hates Mara with a passion. Problem is, he falls in love with her and she with him, but how are they going to surpass this when he's....well......he's a ghost.

It was such a cute story, I truly enjoyed it and read it in one day, just couldn't put it down.

Leave a Candle Burning by Lori Wick

This was the third and final book in the Tucker Mills Trilogy and I just loved it so much, I can't even begin to tell you how much I love Lori Wick and her book series, if you haven't read any you have no idea what you're missing.

When the young, handsome Dannan MacKay comes to Tucker Mills to take over the practice of his uncle, Doc MacKay, he feels welcomed by the town, the church family, and his patients. Life seems complete.

Then the steady rhythm of his new life is interrupted. A young cousin has been orphaned, and Dannan offers his home to the child. This act of kindness turns his thoughts to the child’s need for a mother—yet the one woman Dannan is drawn to cannot be his.

Leave a Candle Burning reveals the joy that comes to those who are willing to trust God’s own plan for their lives.


We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, ate more than it should be legally acceptable but who cares right??? It's once a year and it feels good to not worry about how much food you're ingesting and how many pounds you've put on......truth be told, I have not even gotten on the scale since last week and I don't plan on doing so until next week, I guess I'm waiting to let some of the added fat work itself out of my body.

Here's our beautiful Cajun Fried Turkey and OH.MY.GOSH was it ever sinful and delicious....crispy skin, tender juicy meat. It was just to die for.

Then I made my stuffing and it was new recipe that I was trying, I can't for the life of me remember which website I got it off, I do remember the Blog owner was Chris in Brazil....so thank you Chris!
But let me tell you something, I usually make the whole Thanksgiving Dinner by myself which means I tend to use the boxed stuffing because well....it's easier and faster?? I know I know, all the true hardcore Thanksgiving Chefs out there are probably turning a nose up at me right now, but it just happened.

Anyway, Jasmine and Nicholas refused, yes, REFUSED to touch the stuffing all these years, they hated it. So I was a little worried that when I made this one they would also not want it and I would have to end up eating the whole thing myself, only not really cause Curt loves stuffing too, but it was just too much for us both. The kids smelled it, took a fork and tasted it and devoured 2 servings. *GASP*
I was in shock but now this will become our Thanksgiving Stuffing....it's Cornbread Stuffing and it's honest to goodness, DELICIOUS!

Of course we had the pumpkin pie and the pecan pie and just because they're not that fattening on their own, you HAVE to.....yes I'm sure it's a law somewhere......you HAVE TO put whipped cream on top, or whipped topping or whatever you want to call it. It's just not pie without it for me!

So my thighs are complaining, my stomach is bloated and expanded, my clothes are tight fitting and I'm still sick AND I finally got internet. Yeah I'm happy, I'm truly happy! Oh and thankful for everything and for everyone.....or as Nicholas said "I'm thankful for mommy and daddy and Jasmine and for mommy cooking food". I love my child!



I'm working on my menu plan for this week and I'll have it up this afternoon along with my Gooey Caramel Rolls, so check back on my food blog later.

Right now it's time to get Jasmine from school and then we're doing the Christmas tree and decorations, I know it's a bit early for some and usually I myself wait until at least the 1st of December, but let's face it, it's on a few days away and the kids and I just can't wait any longer.

Hope you're all having a wonderful monday, it's cold and dreary here today, the first time since we got here that it actually feels and looks like a late fall day.

16 comments:

Renee said...

Hope your feeling better soon!

Mari said...

Sorry you are sick - I had that nasty cold too. I think being without the internet is almost worse! Feel better.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Sounds wonderful, two whole books!! Sigh...

Hugs

heidi @ ggip said...

I hope you feel better soon. I'm glad you found a stuffing you like. I really missed regular sage stuffing this year. It's a family favorite and I like it a lot better than what they made this year.

Eden said...

oh Sandra, i'm sorry to hear that you are still under the weather. I'll be praying that you get better soon.

Glad your Thanksgiving was yummy and that you have found a stuffing that the kids will eat!

You go girl! 2 books down and working on a 3rd. I am totally behind on my reading for the fall challenge over at Katrina's. I was doing so well and I have hit a "I don't feel like reading at the moment" stage. I know it will pass.


Hugs,
Eden

Jen said...

I'm so sorry you feel so bad have you tried Vicks Vapor Rub on your feet when you go to bed? Try it....see if it works...I have friends who say it helps.....try it....let me know.
I have a really good chicken & Dressing recipe we eat throughout the year because my family loves stuffing...let me know if you want it and I will email it to you.....hugs.

Becky said...

Sandra,
This is the first time at your blog. Love it!! How cute everything is....I noticed how we both have nasty head cold right now. And then I keep reading back into your older posts and I find that you have two pugs!! I love pugs!! You should see my blog - it's called Dreaming of Pugs. I can't wait to read more from you and hope you feel better tomorrow.

Barb said...

You function at a much higher level when you're sick than I do, Sandra. I just shut down. Good for you for taking Saturday to stay in bed and read.

I laughed at Jen's comment about putting Vicks on your feet. Honestly, it sounds so crazy, it probably works!

I saw your photo of your be warm snowman in a previous post - adorable. I can't wait to see the finished ornament! You chose such nice colors.

Michelle said...

Hi Sandra I too agree with Jen..Vicks on the feet works wonders!!!And it's good too for snoring HUSBANDS!!!*wink*I hope that you are feeling better soon..(((((hugs))))
xoxo

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving - it sounded delicious!
I sure hope you feel better soon! You have more than your fair share of colds it seems to me!
Enjoy those Christmas decorations....

-Andrea

Cheri said...

I lost my internet for half a day and I about went beserk!
It's ridiculous but it's terrible to be without it.
Hope you're feeling better soon!

Susanne said...

Hope you're feeling better soon. Although I must say a day in the bedroom by myself soaking up novels sounds like heaven to me.

Your turkey sounds excellent. I have never in my life had a fried turkey.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sandy! I just wantes to stop by and say hi! I forgot to bring any e-mail address with me when I moved, but this morning I woke and remembered your blog name! Hope all is going good with you guys. Cannot wait till Ben gets home. Can I just tell you that I will NEVER NEVER do this kind of move again! Hope you guys are enjoying a warm winter. I am! No snow here. Take Care,
Veronica

Eden said...

Hope you're feeling better my friend.

Anonymous said...

"Hi Sweet Sandra!!"

Sorry to hear your not feeling to great! I hope you and your family recover very quickly!! I sure miss you around, and hope you had a lovely "Thanksgiving."

Thank you for your sweet comment, and talk to you soon friend!
xoxo Jeannene

Michelle said...

It's funny to think how dependent we have become on the internet - what did we do before?! LOL

Good for you for taking the whole day to yourself and indulge in some reading!

Your turkey sounds like it was delicious!