Sunday, August 31, 2008

Blessed Rain!

Come on in out of the rain and have some coffee with me. It's cloudy and dreary out there and there's some drizzling coming down.

See for the past week we have been extremely blessed with rain, which is just wonderful here in hot and dry Arizona. Every night the sky puts out a beautiful display of lightnining and then showers us with water, the kind that makes the grass gleam and the trees sing for joy. The kind that leaves that amazing rain scent. Is there anything better than that?

I could sit at my window for hours and just watch the lightning flash across the sky.

100_7543

100_7575

Yesterday we had a couple of errands to run and though the sky was littered with clouds, it wasn't raining YET. I just love this photo, so used to seeing nothing but desert and dirt, when I drive by this field I always smile, it makes me feel like I'm back in Idaho!

100_7594

We went in search of a Flea Market, but unfortunately the ones we tried in Glendale were just not good at all, I think next week we'll try the other ones around the area. I still needed to pick up some things, so we headed to Walmart and by the time we got there, you could see the sky changing.

The palm trees were blowing in the wind and the sky was darker, as a matter of fact the whole time we were inside it kept getting dark, it was like someone was playing with a light switch.

100_7596

Now by the time we left and headed back to base, the rain was moving fast towards us. The kids were amazed at how clearly you could see the rain coming down in the distance, how pretty is that?

100_7599

100_7601

I was able to get all my materials to start the Advent Calendar and that's exactly what I plan on doing today.

Photo courtesy: Allsorts

You may be wondering why I'm starting it so early, and the reason is that with all the craziness of everyday life, I tend to start projects for Christmas and half the time I don't get to finish, so I think that with all the interruptions, given this much time to make the Calendar, I should be done in a month or two. Hopefully, keep your fingers crossed LOL

Oh I have to tell you about this BBC Mini-Series I just watched over the weekend. It's called "Wives and Daughters" and it was based on the book by Elizabeth Gaskell. It was such a sweet story, just the kind I like. You do know I'm a huge fan of Victorian times so I'm always on the hunt for books or movies from that era. This one didn't disappoint.

And speaking of books, while at Cracker Barrell on friday I was able to pick up some new Gooseberry Patch books to add to my collection which is ever growing. I think one of the reasons I love these cookbooks is not just for the great recipes but for the tons of ideas they include on every page, I mean if I had to decorate my house with every single decorating tip, I would have the cutest darn house in the State.

http://lpi-gooseberrypatch.edgecaching.net/gooseberry?set%3Dimg%5Bm958.tif%5D%2Csize%5B600%5D%26call%3Durl%5Bfile%3Athumbnail.chain%5D%26sinkhttp://lpi-gooseberrypatch.edgecaching.net/gooseberry?set%3Dimg%5Bm920.tif%5D%2Csize%5B600%5D%26call%3Durl%5Bfile%3Athumbnail.chain%5D%26sink

I haven't had a chance to go through them yet, so that's something else I'll be doing today. As a matter of fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize that today is going to be one of those quiet, perfect days....those filled with cookbooks, cooking, sewing and crafting and cups of tea while the rain falls outside. Yes, indeed, I think I'll enjoy today!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

wonderful pics!!! I love cookbooks like these. I love the ones from Cracker Barrel

Michelle said...

I love the pictures Sandra :) The cookbooks look so interesting,I have a christmas one from Gooseberry Patch that I love..Thanks for your lovely blog comment.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos, although I think if you lived over here the rain wouldn't seem quite so pretty lol! It's done nothing but drizzle for about 2 weeks, grey and damp.

Wow, Christmas! You are organised.

Love and hugs

Sarah x

Mari said...

What beautiful pictures - sun or rain! Enjoy the cookbook reading - I love to do that too!

Kelli said...

I love rainy days! I've been thinking a lot about Christmas too and that Advent calendar is too cute!
~Kelli

Jen said...

Keep me posted on your cook books.

threesidesofcrazy said...

Great pictures & I love those Gooseberry patch books - great ideas. Congratulations Sandra you won my August pay it forward book exchange. You can email me direct with your address and I'll get your book right out to you.

Susanne said...

It's a good thing you carry your camera with you. Look at all the beautiful pics you got. It's raining here too. And it's a bit cool. I actually had a sweatshirt on.

Krista said...

What gorgeous pictures! i love the cookbooks too, and I'm glad I am not the only person who just likes to read cookbooks. BTW, my daughter has declared your pizza pasta her new favorite meal. Thank you for a great recipe!

someone else said...

I've got the materials to start that advent calendar, too. I'm trying to get my current project finished up (almost done) before I start this one. I'm excited to get going on it.

Renee said...

That calendar is great! And I have to avoid looking at the cookbooks when we go to CB or else I find that I can't resist them.

And I LOVE the picture with the palm trees. Those are one thing I miss now living in the Midwest.

Thanks for visiting my blog last week - I'm late visiting you from it but did want to say hi. :)

Anonymous said...

It's so fun to see local pictures and see familiar things on a blog.

Debbie

Michelle said...

you capture some great shots!

Your gooseberry patch recipe books reminded me of something - did you ever see this freebie I posted?

http://www1.gooseberrypatch.com/gooseberry/affiliates.nsf/f.sunmaid?OpenForm&action=initial

let me know if that link doesn't work for you.