I absolutely hate it when my kids are sick, it just upsets me to no end. If I could take their pain and their discomfort away for myself, I would in a heartbeat.
When I had Jasmine 9 years ago I only wish that blogs were around, that YOU all were around for advice and ideas. Nowadays there's so much information out there and there's so many blogging friends always willing to give some advice or that are going through the same thing you are.
So I thought, why not help out all the new moms out there today. I want all of my readers, whether you always comment or are a lurker, to come in and talk about Kids and what works and what doesn't for colds and flu's and stomach bugs and all that non fun, scary stuff for us parents.
Here's some of the things I do when my kids are sick:
1 - One of the things that I do that I learnt from my stepmom, grandmother and greatgrandmother, is for diarrhea. Basically you boil 2 cups water and 1 cup rice. When the rice is cooked drain the water into a cup and let it cool. Add a dash of sugar or natural honey to sweeten it a little, it will help with the diarrhea and settle the tummy.
2 - For colds I try not to give any sort of medicine unless they're running a high fever. I stick to keeping them hydrated, lots of fluids, juice etc. At night time I rub some vicks on their chest and back to help with the congestion and coughing, helps them sleep really well too. For coughs and sore throats, I also give them a teaspoon of honey with a little dash of cinnamon, it really does help.
3 - If it's a stomach virus, then I remove all dairy from their diet for a few days, I give them Ginger Ale and 7 Up, toast and no sauces or heavy meals.
Here's some questions for you guys:
1. When your child has a fever, what medicine do you give them, do you stick to one or do you do the whole Tylenol/Motrin alternating and HOW do you do it?
2. When it comes to stomach bugs, how do you deal with it, what are your true and tried home remedies or over the counter meds that you know for sure will help?
3. What about diarrhea, how do you deal with that?
4. Kids are playing outside and one of them falls...cuts and bruises, how do you deal with those?
5. For burns, what do you use?
Let's talk kids and health, who knows who will stop by and be in need of some advice from other parents.