Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tips on Tuesday!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Do you have a tip on cooking, cleaning, homemaking, kids, marriage, travel or anything that you would love to share? Feel free to join in!

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/assets/managed/content/Thanksgiving%20Tips1.jpg

TIPS FOR THANKSGIVING

1. Make desserts the day before Thanksgiving. This really makes sense. It’s so hard to bake everything at the same time because everything seems to bake at different temperatures. Even if you aren’t baking this easy preparation tip comes in handy. Having your pies, candy, etc already made will give you more time to work on preparing the turkey, vegetables, etc.

2. Peel potatoes the day before Thanksgiving. This easy preparation tip may not seem to save a lot of time, but it really does. The day before Thanksgiving I peel the potatoes, place them in a bowl of water, and then put them in the refrigerator. This way, they won’t oxidize and turn brown. When you are ready to cook your potatoes, simply drain off the water and cook them like normal.

3. Make cornbread for homemade dressing the day before Thanksgiving. I can’t believe I went so many Thanksgivings without doing this. I used to bake my cornbread while my turkey was baking and hope I could get my dressing mixed and baked before the turkey was done. Now, I always bake my cornbread the day before and then all I have to do is mix up the ingredients and bake the dressing.

4. Cut up vegetables the day before Thanksgiving: This also saves a lot of time. Whether you need vegetables for homemade dressing or you’re putting out a vegetable platter, this is an easy preparation tip that will make your Thanksgiving more enjoyable.

5. Thaw turkey well ahead of time. Nothing is worse than going to fix your turkey on Thanksgiving and it’s still partially frozen. By following this easy preparation tip, this Thanksgiving, you will be able to get everything finished on time rather than having to wait longer because you turkey still isn’t done.

6. Purchase rolls rather than making them from scratch. You may be completely against this easy preparation tip, but believe me you can buy rolls that will be just as good as homemade. There are rolls in the freezer section that you thaw and then let rise. There’s also wonderful crescent rolls found in the dairy section next to the biscuits. If you honestly cannot do this, prepare you dough in advance and freeze it before it rises. Then remove it from the freezer and allow it to thaw and rise before baking.

7. Buy desserts from a local bakery. If you think making desserts from scratch will drive you over the edge this Thanksgiving, use this easy preparation tip. Go to a local bakery and choose desserts that you can pass off as homemade.

8. Have someone else do the little things. Whether it’s buying precut vegetables from the produce section or buying pre-made mashed potatoes, this is an easy preparation tip that just makes sense. Why should you waste your time this Thanksgiving cutting vegetables or baking rolls?

9. Share the responsibility. This Thanksgiving ask your friends and family to bring different dishes and then all you have to do is cook the turkey. This is an easy preparation tip that will truly allow you to have an enjoyable Thanksgiving.

10. Order a Thanksgiving dinner from the store. In this day and time you can get wonderful Thanksgiving dinners from your local grocery store. If you aren’t comfortable with having the whole dinner catered, only buy the items you dread making the most.

9 comments:

All My Blessings said...

These are good tips. I will have to copy them and use them at Christmas this year..thanks, Kae

gail@more than a song said...

Some good ideas there! I'm making some things ahead of time and putting in freezer so all I have to do is thaw and bake....dressing and a couple of casseroles are done. Maybe I can do dessert the day before if I don't get it in freezer this week!

threesidesofcrazy said...

All super tips! I'm making my cranberry sauce as we speak!

Anonymous said...

I do everything you mentioned and even go so far as to have my bird out of the plastic, washed and in it's pan in the fridge so all I have to do is sit it in the roaster and turn it on.
Giblets are cooked and in fridge in broth waiting for me to sit it back on the stove and add the bread cubes.
I'm not one that loves to stand over a stove while visitors are yaking at me.

Mari said...

Good tips - I try to get as much done early as I can!

Anonymous said...

GREAT TIPS!

This is my first year making Thanksgiving dinner & I'll definitely be doing these!

Renee said...

Sandra,
These are really great tips! I'll definitely be using some of these this year.

Quick question for you: I am renewing my Woman's Day subscription and it comes with a free (1 year subscriptions) extra. Are you interested in it? I'd love to send it your way. Email me at:
reneesblog@sbcglobal.net and let me know. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My best Thanksgiving tip is to make reservations...

Mozi Esme said...

Love your ideas! Though sometimes I decide we're not going to do the meal, and then at the last minute I run to the store and buy instant everything... :)