Tuesday, March 03, 2009

{ Woodpecker }

The Woodpecker

Photobucket


Where do you suppose
The Woodpecker goes
Photobucket

When he carries those
Little crumbs away?
Photobucket

Across the lake, and
Across the land,
Photobucket

Clutching in his hand
A parcel of hay

Photobucket

For his little ones,
The Woodpecker runs.
For just a few crumbs,
Photobucket


He spends all the day
Flying to and fro,
Photobucket

But ne'er will I know
Just where he will go
Each time he flits away.

*Jean Mallette*

Photobucket

* I love my little woodpecker friend, though there have been Saturday and Sunday mornings where he decides to peck at my wall in the bedroom, waking me up at 6 am with his constant peck peck peck....but for the most part, I absolutely love watching him from my kitchen window. This tree is right outside and he works diligently all day long, pecking here and there.*

15 comments:

Lara said...

I love your photos!

Cheri said...

I love woodpeckers too- they are one of the most unique little birds!

Anonymous said...

He's adorable!! He can come peck at my bedroom wall any time he wants.

Susanne said...

He's a gorgeous woodpecker. The ones I see are pretty plain compared to him!

Misty said...

I love this... precious.

threesidesofcrazy said...

Great captures - he's so cute! Nice poem too. Our woodpecker though just leaves it all to fall at the base of the tree.

Anonymous said...

Great photos! I've never seen a woodpecker in real life. Can you believe that?

The Raggedy Girl said...

I love Woodpeckers too

Roberta Anne

Unknown said...

Great Pictures, we feed the birds here and have all kinds of critters to watch, its so fun. The woodpeckers are very diligent in their pecking aren't they?

Tina Leigh said...

I love them but they are death to our pecan trees. When they peck a hole, it brings the sap which brings the bugs that lay the fungus in the trees & KILLS IT!! Whew! But I love them other wise, lol!

JMRCH said...

Those are great pictures! The poem was a nice one too. I'm looking forward to the warmer weather when we can go outside more and enjoy the birds!

heidi @ ggip said...

How wonderful! I love bird watching when I have a chance and looking int he bird book to find the species (for ones I don't know). Great photos!

Conny said...

great pics - wonderful poem :) we have a woodpecker too - but ours pecks on our HOUSE!! (wood siding!).....yikes!

Anonymous said...

He's a cute birdy - lol I'd have to have words with him if he woke me up at 6am on the weekend! ;)

Bonnie said...

I've never seen a real live Woodpecker !! How cool !! Loved seeing your photos !!