Friday, May 15, 2009

The beginning of my Summer Reading!


It's no lie that I love books, paperback or hardcover, big and small, leatherbound or not, new and old.

So while I was out running errands today, I ran across a new little shop that is opening up at our local BX, it is still in it's beginning stages, with little shelves, a small white desk in the corner and tubs full of books. Used books, the kind of books that I just love getting.

I think it's because I look at it as giving them a new home and then I wonder too just who the previous owners were, where did they live, what did they do, did they enjoy the book while sipping a hot cup of tea or coffee or were they snuggled in bed under the covers.

I browsed for a little while and walked away with 6 books, my first six on my Summer Reading list and I'm so thrilled.

Now I know there are all sorts of Reading Meme's out there, and as great as they are, they are not for me, I always feel overwhelmed and like I'm on a schedule to make sure I get them all read so I can review them on the blog. So I thought it would be easier to just embark on my very own Summer Reading program, where if I read the book great and if for some reason I don't get to them, that's fine too.

So what do you say? Do you want a peek at my first books on the list?



Montana Creeds Series by Linda Lael Miller

Montana Creeds: Dylan
Montana Creeds: Logan
Montana Creeds: Tyler



The First Time by Joy Fielding

Mattie Hart has spent the past 16 years destroying the evidence of an unfaithful husband: she has brushed aside countless scraps of scribbled phone numbers, thrown away hotel receipts she finds in her husband's coat pockets, and ripped up love notes. Finally, with the recent discovery of yet another indiscretion, she realizes that shredding physical evidence has done nothing to prevent her emotional fraying. Yet before Mattie can confront Jake, a high-profile defense lawyer, and come to grips with the fact that he has never loved her, he moves out of their beautiful suburban Chicago home and into his latest young paramour's apartment. And then Mattie receives some devastating news from her doctor: she has Lou Gehrig's disease. Struggling with a guilty conscience, Jake moves back home to care for his wife and repair relations with their angry teenage daughter, Kim. After a bout of furious denial, Mattie finds herself in the compromising position of depending upon a man whom she has never fully trusted. She also must convince Kim that her previously absent father will be there for her in the future. This is rich stuff. While skimping on plot, Fielding has created an adept study of three flawed characters who, after years of playing head games, must learn how to communicate. Despite such heavy psychological drama, the tone lightens as together these three vanquish inner demons. In the end, even as the novel races toward tragedy, Mattie prevails. Fielding has again pushed a seemingly fragile heroine to the brink, only to have her fight back, tooth and nail. This time, though, death is not the greatest threat.




Ransom by Julie Garwood


Gillian finds the key to resolving her troubled past in handsome Scottish chieftains Ramsey Sinclair and Brodick Buchanan. With the cunning and courage of the daring Scotsmen and with the friendship of a new ally, Brigid, Gillian at last fights the unscrupulous Baron Alfred, laying claim to her home, her family, and her father's reputation. But in the presence of the mighty warriors, Gillian and Brigid discover that desire can be a weapon of conquest, betrayal can slay trust in a heartbeat, and the greatest risk of all is surrender - to the deep emotions of unexpected love.



Mr. Cavendish, I Presume by Julia Quinn

Amelia Willoughby has been engaged to the Duke of Wyndham for as long as she can remember. Literally. A mere six months old when the contracts were signed, she has spent the rest of her life waiting. And waiting. And waiting...for Thomas Cavendish, the oh-so-lofty duke, to finally get around to marrying her. But as she watches him from afar, she has a sneaking suspicion that he never thinks about her at all...

It's true. He doesn't. Thomas rather likes having a fiancée—all the better to keep the husband-hunters at bay—and he does intend to marry her...eventually. But just when he begins to realize that his bride might be something more than convenient, Thomas’s world is rocked by the arrival of his long-lost cousin, who may or may not be the true Duke of Wyndham. And if Thomas is not the duke, then he’s not engaged to Amelia. Which is the cruelest joke of all, because this arrogant and illustrious duke has made the mistake of falling in love...with his own fiancée!




Secrets of A Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing--and persistent-- admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition... but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon--and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses... and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.



Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas

When an unexpected inheritance elevates her family to the ranks of the aristocracy, Amelia Hathaway discovers that tending to her younger sisters and wayward brother was easy compared to navigating the intricacies of the ton. Even more challenging: the attraction she feels for the tall, dark, and dangerously handsome Cam Rohan.

Wealthy beyond most men’s dreams, Cam has tired of society’s petty restrictions and longs to return to his “uncivilized” Gypsy roots. When the delectable Amelia appeals to him for help, he intends to offer only friendship—but intentions are no match for the desire that blindsides them both. But can a man who spurns tradition be tempted into that most time-honored arrangement: marriage? Life in London society is about to get a whole lot hotter….

*******************************


I'll be adding more along the way because honestly these will be gone FAST with me *snicker*

BTW, thank you all for the great book suggestions yesterday, I have taken note of all the titles and will be looking for them at the library and the store.

So now you tell me, do you do summer reading lists too and if you do, do you prefer fiction or non fiction? If you do have a book list posted on your blogs, let me know, I would love to come and see :)

16 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh gosh. I want to be a reader and I think reading is an "intellectual" thing to do. But the only books I can ever seem to finish are sci fi books...Twilight being the last.

Your look like you picked some great ones!

Bonnie said...

I don't usually have a list ... I just always have stacks of books from the library, or borrowed from friends, or from my book club. I just read one after the other ... the stack never decreases because I add them faster then I can get through them !!! :) I have read some Joy Fielding ... I'll have to see if I can find that one here ...

PS ... that new shop sounds like my kind of place !!

Conny said...

OHHHHHH - a used book store - that's our kind of place too!! You know we LOVE books :)

My summer reading plans aren't specific yet - but I prefer fiction. Occasionally a great parenting or marriage book will catch my eye - but for the most part, I want a break from REALITY! LOL

Anonymous said...

I phases where I read and read, and then times when I don't read anything for a while. I like both fiction and non-fiction, and love flicking through an encyclopaedia! :)

I'm halfway through Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers and I only started last night, lol. It's such a good book!

Hugs and love

The Frugal Apprentice said...

I'm so happy to hear that I am not the only one who goes through spurts of reading and then months of non-reading!

I haven't started a list for summer yet - but with your encouraging post - I am adding it to my to do list for this weekend!

Hugs,

Sherry

http://frugaldomesticgoddess.blogspot.com

Susanne said...

I don't usually do a list for summer. I do the fall and spring reading challenges at Callipider Days so summer for me is more casual in the reading department. I usually pick a bit lighter reading for the summer, more of a chick lit type fare. I have so many books in my book basket that I'm forcing my self to stay out of the stores. I think I'm going to start with "A Mile in My Flip-Flops" by Melody Carlson (one of my fave authors). Then I'm going to do "Legacy of the King's Pirates", a 3 book series. You never know with me in the summer though. It just might change up is if something else grabs my attention. LOL.

Mike Golch said...

Summer is a great excuse to grab a book and "park it"(not the book) in the sun and read away!

Lulu said...

i wish we had a used book store near by..The one we had closed down years ago..
the Mr. Cavedish I presume, is one of my kind of books that i love to read..
happy reading Sandra..

Anonymous said...

I have read the Creeds and the Lisa Kleypas ones and they were really good!! I love reading. Enjoy.

Amy said...

Ohhh... I could spend many hours in a book store like you speak about. We have one near by that I frequent. I can take my old books and turn them in for credit to purchase new ones. Love it. I see several on your list I am going to have to check out this summer too.

Sherry said...

I have a little bloggy bling over at my page for you "One Lovely Blog award" please stop by and take a look!

Unknown said...

WOW, you have a lot of good reading to do girl!!!! Books are great I wish I had more time to do that..

Crystal said...

Thanks for all the new suggestions to watch for! I love reading - winter, summer, anytime!! Please keep sharing lists and reviews. It's really helpful to people like me who are looking for new titles. Have a great week!

Tina Leigh said...

Looks like you have some good ones to read!!!

Steve and Eden said...

Oh, I want to join in! Can I use your Summer Reading 2009 pic at the top of your post, please? I'll link it back to your blog, of course. How have you been? Looks like you have some interesting books for this summer.

Renee said...

Your summer reading looks wonderful! Have fun!