Friday, September 10, 2010

Trip to the ER

2010_09100006

As a mother, the worst thing for me is getting a phone call during a school day and seeing the school's name on the ID. My heart always lurches in my chest and I find myself almost out of breath until I get through with that call.

So it happened today, at 12:30pm, the phone rang and it was the nurse, informing me that Jasmine had slipped and fallen at recess and was in a lot of pain, it seemed that she hurt her wrist and she wasn't sure if it was broken.

After picking her up from the school I had to do the usual referral dance with Tricare and the base hospital, so frustrating and another reason this base irritates me to NO end. Our previous base had a fully functional hospital WITH an Emergency Room. This one? We're lucky to even get an appointment on base.

2010_09100001

Anyway, we were seen at the West Valley Hospital, thankfully the whole staff was exceptional and we were seen without having to wait too long.

My poor girl was in excruciating pain and hungry because this happened right before lunch, but I tell you, she is SO strong. There were a few tears, mostly because she was supposed to have her best friend over for a sleep over and that had to be postponed.

They took her back for X-Rays and then the doctor came in and told us that she broke her wrist. She actually chipped one of the bones on the base of the hand and broke the two bones in her arm, right at the wrist. Thankfully both breaks were under the growth plate, so there is no need for it to be set or straightened.

She is in a splint for the next 2 to 3 days until the swelling goes down, then she'll be getting a cast for 4-6 weeks.

What a day, it's the phone call you don't want to get and it kicks in that adrenaline like nothing else.

She's ok right now, they have her on pretty strong meds for the pain and I'm sure once she's in her cast, it will be easier.

2010_09100002

I just feel like my girl's had a bad start to the school year, if it's not one thing it's another.

No comments: