Friday, May 04, 2012

Cleaning and Cooking

Two words that are used in my household, daily.

Two words that I have learned to embrace and love.

It's what keeps me busy most of the time, well, aside from homeschooling and laundry and errands and being a mommy and a wife and a military spouse.

I've been finishing up our homeschool year, Nicholas is DONE and is happy to have put 3rd grade behind him and now just concentrating on enjoying a few months of summer fun :)  Jasmine has a two days left and then she too will be enjoying her summer :)

2012_05030003 

And seeing as laundry is never ending, I've been trying to embrace it and not fight the urge to burn all the clothes and thrust us into a nudist colony. LOL Speaking of laundry...you know those nasty yellow stains under the armpits on white shirts? I really dislike those and it's always been a struggle to get them out, but not when using this little concoction. 

2012_05040001 

 Baking Soda, Dawn soap and peroxide. The formula is pretty easy to remember. 

 1 part Dawn dishwashing soap 
2 parts peroxide 
1/2 part baking soda 

Mix all,

2012_05040002 then using an old toothbrush,

 2012_05040003 

scrub into the stains and let sit for a few hours. Just remember to make a new batch everytime you use it. Now I know that it may not work for everyone, there's been times it didn't work for me but most of the time it works wonderfully on those white shirts. 

I've also been busy cooking and baking.

My husband has his next PT test in about a week and a half, so we've been eating healthier, adding lots of veggies and fruits and trying to cut out ont he bad snacking.

These are some of our favorite go to healthy snacks.

No Bake Energy Bites.  You can get the recipe over at the food blog :)
2012_05040016

 I dare you to eat only one. I actually have to control myself with these, they're worse than chips for me. 

So now you know what I've been doing...well sort of, you know some of what I've been doing.

As usual, while doing housework I try to have my laptop nearby playing something on to keep me entertained.  

This past weekend I watched The Awakening.  It's a great ghostly British movie, good actors, good story and I enjoyed it :)

And now I'm going to go sit on the couch, put my feet up, grab my crochet and watch my Friday night shows, Dead Files, Supernatural and a series the family and I just found on Netflix last night, called The Universe.  So good and very educational too, the first episode was about the Sun :)

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday night and a great weekend.  We have errands to run tomorrow and we all need to go for haircuts :)

God Bless,
Sandra

2 comments:

Kelly H said...

I love when you add what you're watching on Netflix or You Tube. I am going to add The Universe so the kids can watch that during quiet time in the summer.I want to keep their minds learning this summer. Thank you for taking the time to run a awesome blog.

Christy said...

Hi Sandra,

Soaking white clothing in a bath of Oxyclean (I use the powdered - I think it works better) and water also gets out the yellow stains and whitens the garment overall. (Takes care of female stains as well.) My mother in-law gave me that tip and it has saved a lot of clothes that were headed for the trash.