Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cooking Thursday -




Good morning everyone :)  Can you believe it's already Thursday?  Where did this week go?

So I'm here to tempt you with some yummy chocolate cake.  If you don't like huge pans of cake because your family is like mine and after the first slice, we're done.....then this is the perfect batch to make.  It is done in a small 8 inch square pan, so just big enough to enjoy a slice and not have to worry about cake just sitting around in your fridge. 



Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake

Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons oil
1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup cold water


In an 8 inch square baking pan, mix together with a fork the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.

Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake

In a separate bowl, mix together oil, vanilla, vinegar, and cold water. Pour all at once into the baking pan with the flour mixture and blend with the fork until thoroughly blended together.

Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake

Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.


From: The Homestyle Amish Kitchen Cookbook








6 comments:

Amber said...

Hey! I made this the other day, when you provided the link to the recipe on your food blog. I was pleasantly surprised that this is the same cake my grandmother used to make when I was growing up. But she called it "Wacky Cake." I think because it was all done in the pan! It brought back great memories! When I was mixing it up, I thought it might be her cake, but then when I tasted it, I knew it was! I took several pieces to my mom so she could have some because that cake always reminds her of her mom! So glad you shared it! I added it to my "make frequently" recipes!

Debby said...

Thanks for sharing!! This will be perfect for when it's just hubby and I during the week. Can't go wrong with chocolate

Sew Very Me said...

Oh Sandra, this in evil!! It's quick and easy and I have just made. I had to after reading the post! It's just nice too that the cake isn't big and doesn't "have" to be finished off so that we're not wasted. I think my 6yo daughter is thanking you from the bottom of her heart.
This recipe has just been added to my Favourites-list

Mari said...

I don't make cake often, but this one looks really good!

Unknown said...

Made this wonderful cake last night for our after dinner treat! I topped it with mini chocolate chips instead of frosting - it was amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Amy said...

Looks yummy!

Do you remember "Stir N Frost" cakes from when we were young? It came with the little paper type pan and you mixed it up in the pan and baked it? Fond memories :-)