Tuesday, January 29, 2013

For the love of cookbooks.....

First, I wanted to start by thanking you all for the kind comments left on my previous post.  I appreciate them and I'm glad that you all understand the reasons why I have to do what I have to do.  :)

Being away from the unnecessary things in my life, has done wonders for my soul already.  I feel free, and as if this huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  I am ever so thankful for the Lord's influence in my life and the way that he constantly shows me when I'm going in the wrong path.

Funny how you never think it's the wrong path but you don't feel happy, and you don't feel comfortable....and then you decided to follow your instincts and suddenly it's like a whole new outlook on life.  Night and day, that's what it feels like to me :)

2013_01290008

Today I had to write my new menu plan, but instead of relying on online recipe searching, I decided to forgo that and make use of my vast collection of cookbooks. I have so many, and they just sit there on the shelves, so, I snatched a few off the shelf and sat down to some planning.

I started with Secrets of Better Cooking, first published in 1973.  This gem of a book is filled with amazing information, tips, recipes, illustrations and everything you need to know to cook meals for your family.

2013_01290010

This table of measurement conversions is so helpful to me.  Having grown up with the metric system, I still get a little confused when it comes to the way things are measured here in the USA.

Give me grams, centimeters and liters any day, but throw pounds, inches and gallons my way and I'm a mess.

A lot of my old recipes are also in grams and milliliters so this helps me convert them.

2013_01290011

It's also helped me with pastry making and knowing how to roll it out and transfer it to the pan etc.

2013_01290012

I ended up not writing down any recipes because I spent most of the time enthralled in it's pages of information.  It's such an interesting book.

The next book I pulled out is one that I purchased back in South Africa, when I was a teenager, and I've had it all these years.  Truth be told, I forgot about it, it sort of got lost in my shelf of cookbooks and I recently came across it again.

2013_01290013

Lemon Pork Chops with Mustard Sauce, THAT went straight into the menu plan for next week.

2013_01290014

This cookbook takes me back home, meals I hadn't even thought of in so long, like bobotie, biryani, milk tart....*sigh*

I wrote down a few to make and I'll share them with you too.

2013_01290017

Finished with this one which I love, wrote down quite a few from there.  So menu plans and grocery list compiled and it was time to move on to normal day to day stuff.

2013_01290016

Have another giveaway coming up for you guys next week, so had to get my items all sorted out and ready.

Trying out some recipes and cleaning the kitchen while watching The Mary Berry story on BBC2.

2013_01290019

It was so fascinating. I love Mary Berry, she is such an inspiration to me when it comes to cooking and baking.

2013_01290023

Buttermilk bread thawing on the counter.

2013_01290022

Starting some sweeper covers using my summery colors cotton yarn

2013_01290027

Making dinner...I love the heat coming from the wooden spoon.

It's usually a busy time in the kitchen, and there's always a pug under my feet which finds me tripping and jumping all over the place.

2013_01290032

Finally sitting down to a home cooked meal, we love dinner time because we get to sit and chat about our day.

2013_01290042

My poor husband had a dentist appointment this afternoon, ended up with 3 fillings so he's not feeling all that well, so I'll be sitting down with him to watch some of our shows on DVR.

Have a wonderful night,



10 comments:

Susanne said...

I love hard copy cookbooks too. There is just something about flipping those pages rather than scrolling. :v)

Hope your hubby feels better soon.

Kathy Skinner (Kat) said...

Ahhh, cookbooks! I love reading them; looking at the pictures and dreaming about yummy things to make for my family:)

Miss Ruthie Aileen said...

I love betty Crocker. My husband's grandma who became one of my best friends gave me an old worn and love handled betty Crocker cookbook. I miss her foodie wisdom since she has been gone 2 years ago Christmas. Her gardening skills were also unmatched.
I also love all things taste of home & subscribe to their magazines.
Thanks for sharing...I love your pictures in this post :)

Debby said...

Glad to know I am not the only one who can spend hours reading cookbooks! Ha Your photo's are so lovely, I can smell and taste the food from here just looking at it all

Amber said...

I just spent some time digging through my cookbooks the other morning as I planned out the menu for a baby shower brunch I'm throwing for a friend this weekend. It was quite enjoyable. I can completely understand about having a dog afoot while preparing meals. I can't tell you how many times my little dog has tripped me while I'm in the midst of making dinner.

Jamie @ Prepared to Eat said...

You make a great point. I'm getting my February menu plan together now, but I still need a few things to put on there. I think I'll pull out some of my favorite cookbooks that I haven't looked at in a while. :)

TheFishie said...

I've been meaning to cook through my cookbooks for some time now. I've tried about three new recipes from a couple new cookbooks since the new year. I definitely want to step that up. Thanks for the nudge to do so for next week!

Sherri B. said...

It is fun seeing some of your cookbooks...I collect them too and really need to take time to revisit some of mine also..Thanks for sharing! xo

Cathy said...

I love cookbooks and have collected quite a few of them over the years. That sweeper cover is such a neat idea!

Stay at home mom said...

I love cookbooks! I mean, what did we do before the internet and pinterest? My mother collects ccokbooks and has to pick one up wherever she travels. Me, I have quite a few, but they only come out during Christmas and Thanksgiving, for my favorite recipes. But you have inspired me to get them out and take a look. I need to do a little menu planning myself.

And I wanted to say about your previous post, I do love your blog. I have had to make some changes and decisions too. Not everyone likes them, but they are for the better. I am new to blogging, and find that bloggers can be very competitive. I just do my own thing. My blog started as a place for me to write a collection of thoughts, without posting them all over Facebook. It's good to see someone else taking a stand for who they are. Keep up the good work. :-)