Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Hello January.....

The first day of the year.

The blank slate.

The open book.

I used to really dislike the first of the year, I always felt this overpowering sense of worry and foreboding, wondering what was to come and if we would be ok, happy, healthy.

But it used to take a lot of out of me, all that worrying for things that are completely out of my control.

I choose to look at it in a different way.  It's just another day now, one filled with housework and family and normal every day things.  Why do we need to put a label on it, so much pressure on this one lone day for nothing.

I've never been one to make resolutions, never much saw the point in them other than to try and follow the masses, and since I've never been one to follow just for the sake of it, I've never made any.

But I am choosing to change some things in my life, mainly the way I see the world around me and the way that I act and feel.

*  I'm craving a stronger relationship with Jesus, and speaking of which, right now you can get "Do What You Can" Plan: 21 Days to making your life better, free for the Kindle.  (please check before purchasing as sometimes the free promotion doesn't last too long)
*  I'm craving an even simpler way of life.
*  I'm wanting to laugh more, to smile more, to joke more, to not take some things so seriously.
*  I'm needing to fill my heart and my soul with positivity and banish the negative thoughts that sometimes plague me.

So that is what I'll do.  Come on January, and February and all the months after that, I'm ready for you.

This morning began with my usual cup of coffee and a piece of toast.  After breakfast it was right down to normal business.....dishes, cleaning, laundry and beginning the process of taking down the outside decorations.

2013_01010001

We're about 90% done, still have a few things.  It took a little longer because as we pack these away we are taping it all up and marking etc for our move in a few months.

2013_01010002

Been working a little on my granny square blanket, this is one slow project for me, it's sort of become my go to when I have nothing else going on.

2013_01010003

And then I went ahead and got a Positivity Jar started.  I'm sure you've seen this idea floating around the internet and I think it really is a great way to count your blessings.

2013_01010006

I've already added one slip of paper in there and I can't wait to keep filling it up.

2013_01010009

If we just took one moment and stopped at least once a day to count a blessing, we would be surprised by how much we are thankful for.   Could be the tiniest little happy moment but if we don't record it, it will soon be forgotten and then we're opening ourselves up to the bad moments which unfortunately always seem to overshadow the joy.

Choose differently, don't let the small stuff get to you.

I'm a little tired tonight and my lower back is aching, so I think I may just go lay in bed with my warm blankies, my hot water bottle and my kindle.  Enjoying re-reading "Follow the River" by James Alexander Thom.  Anyone read it?





6 comments:

Suellen Roley said...

This is my first year EVER making a New Years resolution (or five LOL). My resolution is to pay off my back space rent and back taxes by January 1 2014 so that I can become roommate free by then. Of course, still working on my weight but that's simply ongoing, not a New Years resolution.

I've broken my resolution down into a few parts: double up on space rent payments for 6 months (by that point the back space rent will be paid off). After the back space rent is paid off, use that 'extra' money towards the back taxes for another 6 months.

I feel like I am taking control over what I can control, and letting the rest take care of itself!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

This was a lovely post Sandra. I don't like making new year's resolutions either, but I chose two words for this year and they are anticipation and thankfulness.

Love and hugs to you and your family as your prepare to move. You must be getting excited.

FlowerLady Lorraine

Debby said...

It's funny how hard we have to work to keep things simple isn't it!!! Good luck getting the last of Christmas packed away. Your blanket looks lovely

Unknown said...

The New Year used to be scary for me too. On New Year's Eve I would reminisce on the year past and feel nostalgic and then on New Year's Day I would worry about the year to come which just caused so much stress. We spent it doing normal things aside from going out to eat as a family which is something we don't often do. LOL

I always get overwhelmed with New Years Resolutions and find myself following them for awhile and then slowly I start getting out of the groove and the rest are left forgotten. I do have a Day Zero list which I keep track of on dayzeroproject.com
I have a list of my goals to accomplish within 1001 days which seems more realistic to me than 365. Of course you can set your own timeline for your lists/goals which is why I like the site.

I like the idea of the Positivity jar. I think I may partake in that. :)
Here's to wishing you and your family a Happy New Year! (even if it is a bit late. lol)

Lulu said...

great post..love the positives..
have a lovely thursday..

Steve Smith said...

It's difficult to be a good parent and simultaneously work well at home, says Durst, because most jobs require blocks of uninterrupted time to accomplish tasks, and children's schedules are less than predictable. For those who do choose to walk the tightrope between paid work and parenting, consider deadline-oriented work. Durst says it's generally better for those with younger children than schedule-oriented hourly work