Sunday, January 20, 2013

Weekend in Review

It's been a quiet, relaxing weekend so far.  I have to say that I'm happy tomorrow is a holiday and we can sleep in again.  I know, I am bad, and usually I don't mind getting up early but by the end of the week my husband and I are dying for the weekend.

Yesterday was a little busy for us with a few errands.  We took walks with the pugs, the kids rode their bikes, we enjoyed the 70 degrees and the sprinklers in the back yard have started back up.

2013_01190054

We ate good delicious low calorie food (review this week),

2013_01190038

we indulged in glasses of our favorite wine

2013_01200044

I picked up some new summery colors of cotton yarn for a new project

2013_01190043

did some more bird watching

2013_01190018

and finished off the night on the couch, with a latte and a puzzle

2013_01190058


Sunday morning rolled around and my husband made us all omelettes. I do love his breakfasts, this man can whip up an awesome egg.

Right after breakfast we set out again with our pugs in tow, they love walks around the neighborhood and the weather was just gorgeous today.

2013_01200041

the rest of the day has been spent just doing absolutely NOTHING.

Though a little more bird watching was done, these house finches are so cute

House Finch (Male)

and I have a pair of Gila Woodpeckers that love coming around to the palm tree, here's the female

Gila Woodpecker (Female)

and here's the male

Gila Woodpecker (Male)

Today I put everything aside, the laundry, the deep cleaning, and just did the basics and the necessities. The rest will be done tomorrow.

I caught up on my British shows, found some new ones to watch, read An Amish Kitchen on my Kindle, did a few more rows on my granny stripe blanket and then cooked up a super easy dinner.........all this while my husband and kids played outside all day long.

2013_01200048

It felt more like a spring day than winter :)

Now, let me tell you about what I've been watching:

♥  Ripper Street which is fantastic, in my opinion.  If you love crime solving period dramas, along the lines of Murdoch Mysteries, then you'll really enjoy Ripper Street, and hey, Matthew MacFadyen is the main character :)   I've been watching it live from the UK, but it HAS premiered on BBC American, so you can watch them there too.

  Emily of New Moon, oh boy.  It is like Road to Avonlea or Anne of Green Gables, so if you loved those you're going to enjoy this one tremendously.    Watch all the episodes here.

♥  Royal Upstairs Downstairs, really enjoying this series that takes us to some of the castles, palaces and stately homes frequented by Queen Victoria during her lifetime.  The first one is Chatsworth House.  You can find the others on YouTube.


♥  Great British Railway Journeys, great documentary where Michael Portillo takes us through England on a train ride.  Beautiful scenery :)  You can find most of the episodes on Youtube and also online at BBC Two.  You can watch the first episode Liverpool to Eccles here

♥  Servants the True Story of Life Below Stairs, well this one peaked my interested a few months ago, mainly because of Upstairs Downstairs and Downton Abbey.  Very cute documentary showing us exactly what it was like behind closed doors for the servants downstairs and the Lords and Ladies above stairs.  Watch them here.  

I think that is enough to keep you busy for a bit, right?  Or maybe you're like me and have a bunch of shows going at the same time.  LOL

Anyway, I'm off to watch today's Ripper Street, followed by some Mr Selfridge and then I will probably go with Royal Upstairs Downstairs.

Have yourselves a wonderful Sunday night and enjoy your holiday tomorrow.  I'll be here in the morning with our Happy Homemaker Monday.



4 comments:

Tina Leigh said...

I'm so excited about "Ripper Street" but I am struggling because I'm really having a hard time with the accents! How crazy is that?! I have to keep rewinding and listening several times. Fingers crossed that I get use to it! Same trouble with Sherlock on "Elementary"! But I love that show too! You may have to be my interpreter!
I think you may have the male & female mixed up on the woodpeckers. The male birds (don't know why! Not fair.) are usually the most colorful. The red head is probably the fella...poor old girl! Lol!

Your favorite sister said...

I have been wanting to watch Ripper Street! Matthew is my favorite Mr. Darcy :)

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

What fabulous photos! So glad to have found your beautiful blog.

Amber said...

What beautiful bird photos!