Monday, March 11, 2013

This being an adult, is not fun at times.

2013_03110005

I love my life, I love my husband and my children and everything about it.  But I would be lying if I didn't say that there are a few moments where I kind of miss being a child, not having to worry about making tough decisions, not having to worry about being in charge or being the responsible one....the extent of my worries was if my best friend was upset with me, or if the boy I liked found me weird.

But, alas, I can't just go back in time, I have to be the grown up and sometimes do things that I don't want to do.

We're kind of stuck right now...in a sense.

The whole retirement thing, is sort of on standby at the moment.  Things are not easy for anyone, and especially in the military it just seems to be going from bad to worse.  Seems that when the going gets tough and the push comes to shove, the military are the first to get hit.

My husband's retirement paperwork is in, it's been approved and end of May is IT.  Right???

Well....kind of.  Here's where we stand at the moment, next Monday in a week from today, my husband tests for his next stripe.  We won't find out the results of those tests until May.  If he makes it, he has the option of staying in another 2 years instead of getting out....if he doesn't make it, then we are out for sure.

This is where the "doing the best thing for the family" comes in.  Truth be told, we would like nothing more than to pack up, get out after 22 years and move onto the next chapter in our lives.    Contrary to belief (and trust me, there are still many people out there who believe this), the military do NOT get paid well.

So when sitting down and working it all out, his retirement check is about half of what we get now, but the bills will be the same, with the added expenses of buying a house, paying for utilities etc.  Not to mention having to find work after getting out.

2013_03110006

So everything is on hold until the end of May, which is but a little less than 3 months from now.  Can't plan one way or the other, can't make definite decisions on anything and have to be prepared to just up and go if need be.

It's frustrating!

I bounce back and forth between feelings of calmness and sheer panic.

Leaving in May would be what we want to do.....staying in another two years would be the RIGHT and BEST thing for our family.  *sigh*

Either way, it's in God's Hands, He knows where we'll be in a few months, He is already there waiting.

So anyway, for those who have asked what is going on, now you.  But moving on to happier things, like what my day was like.

I collect rolling pins and sometimes it's hard to find a place for them all, so I decided to use what I have, and that little spot on the baker's rack that is originally designed for wine bottles?  Works just fine.

2013_03110001

Have started working on the new menu plan and pulled out some of absolute favorites. I know I seem to say that everything is my favorite, and it kind of is because I don't keep anything that I don't like. These books though........just love them.

2013_03110008

Keep Calm and Bake, filled with so many yummy recipes, the kind that really make me want to get in the kitchen and pull out the flour canister.

2013_03110009

These are on the menu, my husband's favorite thing on earth is lemon anything.

2013_03110010

This one was actually given to me by my daughter, she knows me very well indeed.

2013_03110012

I don't think there is one recipe in here that I am not itching to make. Many I remember from the Great British Cook Off.

2013_03110013

2013_03110014

Cherry Bakewells....oh YUM!

I have two Trisha Yearwood cookbooks and they are both phenomenal. I used the other for last Menu planning, so I'm using this one this time.

2013_03110016

And now let me show you this one that my husband bought me a few weeks back. I am in love with this book, not only for the delicious recipes, the beautiful photography, but the gorgeous paper it's printed on, it's like vintage fabric flowery patterns. Love it.

2013_03110017

2013_03110018

Just look at the lovely border

2013_03110019

it also contains cute little tidbits throughout the cookbook

2013_03110020

and at the end? 2 pages of jar labels....adorable.

2013_03110021

I think I have a lot of inspiration for my next menu plan, don't you?

I will be coming around to say to everyone in the morning, was going to do it tonight but have a little boy who is not feeling very well and is needing my attention.

I'll leave you with a photo of our dinner. I made a very simple chicken pot pie with veggies and bacon, and topped it with some biscuits drizzled with melted butter, sprinkled with pepper and topped with chopped bacon. YUMMY!

2013_03110032

2013_03110033

20 comments:

Mari said...

I know how you're looking forward to moving. Praying for wisdom and direction as you and Curt make these big decisions.
The pot pie looks wonderful!

NITA said...

It's a tough decision and I know you and Curt will follow Gods leadership...We thought we had followed Gods guidance when we moved but found out God allowed us to move to teach us an important lesson...we may have made many mad in our decision to move back home but we are the happiest we have ever been and Uncle Mike is going on a mission trip in July...so as long as you are in Gods plan you will be taken care of...I will pray for Gods guidance in your decision...

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Oh my, the waiting sounds torturous! I'm so sorry! Praying you'll have peace and patience until May--and then wisdom!! The pot pie does look extra delicious! Yummy!

Unknown said...

Praying for you all as you sit and wait! My husband works for the government as well and it is absolute torture having to have plans a, b, c and d because you don't know exactly what is next but when the time comes you have to act fast. Dinner looks lovely!

Sherri B. said...

I will be praying for you as well. You are so wise to know that God has already gone ahead of you, but sometimes it is so hard to keep that in our mind when the concerns are crowding it out.

Love that you shared some of your cookbooks with us..it is fun to see what others are using.

Have a restful night. xo

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Sandra,

I will pray that God shows you in a BIG way what His Will is. I know waiting is the hardest thing!

Blessings,
Tammy

Sandrocas said...

I was in your shoes just a couple of weeks ago, awaiting a surgery date, seeing if we could make it to Portugal this summer, it's been 18 years since I've seen my family. Like you say, have faith, and all will work out for the best in time. It's very hard not to be able to plan, especially something so major as a big move. I wish your family the very best!

Susan said...

You will remain in my thoughts and prayers. I remember the pre-retirement days! We always felt we lived a comfortable life in the military, because of my husbands rank. Then it came time to retire and looks at what things cost in the real world and what we were going to be making! UGH! Reality set in quickly. We both had to go back to work just to afford the things that we needed. We made it finally, but not without a huge sacrifice. Your family is blessed and the right decision will be so obvious when God shows you in his time. God Bless you and your family!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Oh wow, this is tough, but you and your family will make it through this. God is with you every step of the way, just keep trusting Him as He works all things out for His honor and glory. He will do you no harm.

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

autumnesf said...

You know the hell year we just went thru. The good paying jobs just aren't there in this economy. And each moth out bills and living expenses were about a grand more than the retirement check.

Will it make a difference in his retirement pay if he does make a stripe and do two more years? Something else to think about for when you are truly retired and living off of it.

Good luck. We were there. Dion decided in the end he would always wonder if he could have made chief if he never tried so he was going to do it. We came up against other issues that made the decision for us.

Debby said...

I sooo know what you mean!! I have such a hard time remembering "Let go and let God" I too am a planner, the waiting around must be so darn hard for you. Hugs and prayers for you and your family

Wendi said...

I always struggle with change and knowing if I am doing the best thing. Praying that when the correct path is revealed that you feel peace about it!

Susanne said...

Those are such big decisions indeed. Praying you have God's direction and can make those tough ones knowing you've chosen the right one for your family!

Anonymous said...

So true...parents and their sacrifices. You are just going to have to pray very very hard, unless God just closes some doors and the choice is easy. (I like that method best..God usually closes doors for us and then we have no choice!) My husband retires from his job in 5 years and he has told me that I need to stop spending to prove we can afford to retire. (I don't think his company is going to hang on for too much longer anyway).

I made your "husband's delight" recipe the other day and we all loved it! Thanks for your food posts..you are a good cook!

heidi said...

What I don't understand is if the military doesn't pay very well then why do want him to stay in? Sounds to me like you live a comfy life and want to continue living like that cause you know once he gets out you aren't going to have the money you used to. You say the pay isn't good but yet you are scared to death to have to get out in the "real world" and have to earn a living. Guess you are going to find out how really hard it is for us regular folks who don't live on half of what you do. He's already done 22 years, how many more do you want to bleed from him? I think you're greedy. You pretend to your husband like you are cool for him to get out but in reality you are hoping like all get out he makes rank and stays in another 2 years, right? My sister in law is just like you. All the credit cards, new cars, going out to eat all the time, splurging on junk you don't need. Who needs all those rolling pins? You better learn to live within your means real quick cause you are going to get a reality check come May if he doesn't make rank. All this whining about how bad military pay is is a joke. You're gonna miss it when it's gone. Get ready.

Melissa said...

Wow.....that was really uncalled for.

Good luck to you Sandra as you face changes and decisions in the coming months. All will be as it should be when the dust settles. :)

Melissa

Robbyn said...

Sandra,

No one knows what it is like to walk in your shoes. Know one knows what it is like to walk in mine. Some comments, however they were intended, can sting and can interpreted as downright mean. All you need to remember is what these upcoming changes mean to your family and how it will affect you and yours. Putting one's feelings on a blog opens it up to various responses--what you need to concentrate on are the comments that make you feel supported and loved. Most of us support you and your family and I know that I have enjoyed your blog immensely. These positive comments are the ones that will add value to your life. I look forward to hearing about your upcoming adventures and I will be praying for your family. God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

I generally make it a point to ignore asinine comments by idiots online. But after reading Heidi's comment, I'm going to break my own rule.



Heidi, you are unbelievably rude. I'm guessing that you have never been in the military, and you don't know anyone in the military. It's not an easy life, not for the family member in the military and not for the spouses and children. Calling the life of a military wife a "comfy life".... that is, quite simply, ignorant. The military doesn't pay terribly - you're going to make more than you would at some place like, oh, McDonald's - but you're certainly not going to get rich on military pay. It's enough to live on, but that's about it. Retirement pay is not enough to live on, especially if you have a family. It's not a matter of being "greedy" or not wanting to get out in the "real world"... It's a matter of choosing between the job you don't really want but pays the bills or loosing a huge chunk of your income and trying to find a job in an economic climate that isn't particularly full of decent paying jobs. You say that Sandra's "going to find out how really hard it is for us regular folks"... news flash! All those "regular folks" could sure go join the military if they wanted. But most of them don't want to, because being in the military is hard, it requires a lot of work and a lot of sacrifice. Personally, I find your attitude completely disgusting, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.


End of rant. :-)


Oh, and Sandra? You rock.

NITA said...

Heidi,
Surprisingly the Military workers do NOT get what they are due...they work hard hours and with little pay..you need to pray for the Military instead of being so critical..
If you cannot post something uplifting then don't post at all..

~Carla~ said...

WOW.. Sandra, do NOT take nasty comments to heart my dear!! I get them too... people who are hurt, tend to hurt other people I find.

I pray you find your way and trust that it'll all work out the way it's supposed to. :) I love the cookbooks you have... i'd love them even more if you were sending me freezer meals out of them.. haha! ;) I cook a lot, but don't love it like you do, maybe you can rub some of that off on me? lol! Keep on keepin' on, you're doing awesome and will continue to do so because you have Him leading the way!