Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Chilly start to the week....

Brrrrrrr!!!

Just a few days ago, I was joking around with my brother back in Idaho and telling him that he should be here in Texas, where it's nice and warm compared to their snowy cold days.

I should have just kept my mouth shut because within a few days, we were hit with the craziest blizzard and cold temperatures.

_MG_1566

The night from Sunday to Monday was filled with loud icy rain pounding on the windows and the roof.  It was ongoing, without a break, just constant from about 11pm to 7am.

As I walked past my living room window I noticed that everything was white, icy and the temperatures had dropped significantly from 70 degrees to high 20's.

_MG_1567

Being the blogger that I am, I instantly grabbed my camera and grabbed these two shots, and I had just finished taking the one above when I noticed something out of the corner of my eye.

It walked from my yard, all the way down the driveway towards the street.

_MG_1560

It took me but a second to realize that I was looking at a coyote.  Not exactly surprised, we've already seen deer in our yard so now a coyote wasn't exactly shocking, I mean we ARE out in the country.

_MG_1561

He or she, just slowly made their way down the street towards the main road.  I lost track of it, and I wasn't exactly going to go out there and follow them.

_MG_1563

How neat is that???

Hubby was home early yesterday and soon after he arrived, the kids asked if we could go to Walmart.  They got some money from their uncle for Christmas and wanted to go and spend it.  Actually we all got money from him so I was quite excited to go and get some things for myself too.

You know as a mom, I tend to buy things for the kids all the time and don't really ever spoil myself, so I was looking forward to some guilt free shopping.

I got myself a few bits and bobs, not a lot at all, but a few things I had been wanting or needing.  

This coffee mug was one of them, I had been eyeing it out for a while but really couldn't justify buying it at any other time.  It was only $3, but I had to have it to add to my collection, it just screams me, the whole mason jar look and the gorgeous robin blue color.  

_MG_1572

I also picked up a Fat Quarter Bundle to make some patchwork potholders for my kitchen.  Even though the walls are yellow (which I really really don't like), most of my kitchen items are blue, so I'm planning to pain the walls soon.  I'm thinking a very light blue would look pretty.

_MG_1573

I needed eyeliner and mascara, but they can be quite pricey, so I waited until I had some money of my own to buy them.  Have never tried this mascara but my sister in law has it and loves it, so I'm sure I'll like it just as much.

_MG_1574

Of course, what would a trip anywhere be without some yarn to add to my stash?  These were less than a dollar so I grabbed 3 colors that caught my eye, not sure yet what I'm going to make but will go through my crochet bookmarks and my books and see what I want to make.

_MG_1576

I was in desperate need of a new cookware set, and the one I currently have is the Paula Deen in the pretty light blue, which I LOVE, but I've had it for so many years.  Curt bought them for me for Christmas back in Arizona, I want to say in 2009 maybe?  So yes, long time and they're all still pretty good, but the pots are getting old and scratched.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I saw this set on sale for $40, down from $60 and nabbed it. 

_MG_1577

Haven't even had a chance to open the box yet, but will be doing that very soon.

Of course I had to grab some new nail polish to feed my obsession.  These were only 90c each.  I love the burgundy/maroon color and the glittery one will be great for accent nails.

_MG_1578

So yeah, not a lot of things, but just a few bits and bobs that I really wanted. 

This morning we woke up to still white grass and pretty cold temperatures.  It does make for some very pretty shots as the sun is rising.

_MG_1570

I don't have much planned for today, aside from the usual homemaking.  I plan on opening up my pots and pans and washing them and of course I'll use them to make dinner tonight.  Also want to try my pressure cooker later.

I need to work on my meal plan so that I am ready to go shopping on Thursday morning. 

_MG_1571

It is now 10:15am and I really need to get cracking with my day.  I've already had my shower and washed my hair, it's still up in a towel though so I need to get it down and brushed etc.

How is your Tuesday going so far?

10 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Glad you are safe in all the crazy Texas weather! I love the fun stuff you bought with your Christmas money. It is always fun to have some "mad money" to spend! That looks like a nice set of pots and pans. We bought a good set of pots and pans at IKEA a few years back and I am surprised at how much I enjoy having good cook ware and what a difference it makes! I love the blue color you have planned for your kitchen. We have coyotes wandering our neighborhood here in Gilbert, AZ frequently - crazy. People don't let their cats and dogs out at night or they are gone! You and your family have a good new year.

Carol said...

I love that shade of blue, too! So calming and pretty. We got freezing rain overnight up here. Winter sure took its time in the Northeast!

Lulu said...

oh i loooooooove those fat quarters, sooo pretty Sandra..Love that cup also..you got some nice things..
love your daily posts...
take care Sandra..

ellen b said...

Sheesh! You really have had some crazy weather in Texas. My brother's family lives in Dallas but they are in Arizona right now and missed all the craziness so far.
Sounds like you had a fun trip to WalMart.
Today I've gotten round to stripping the guest beds to wash the linens and made a return of a duplicate Christmas gift.
Happy New Year to you and yours...

Unknown said...

Love the pictures.. I heard about the crazy weather in Texas, a friend of mine had tornadoes near her house. Thankfully they are safe.

I hope you have a great rest of of your Tuesday.

Stacey Minter said...

Pictures are awesome. I am glad that you were able to buy a few things at WalMart. I got some gift cards to that I need to use up. I don't buy anything for me usually anymore it all goes to Luke or food and bills and what hubby needs so I may spend it on me this time. Hope you enjoy your new pans.
Hope you guys stay safe during the ceazy weather there. Have a great day and wishing you a happy new year.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

That was a lovely visit with you. Love the yarn colors. We had over 8 inches of rain this past weekend. Lots of flooding.

Mary said...

Please keep watch on your little dogs when they are outside, even here in Massachusetts we have coyotes and they attack cats, small dogs and even children.

Christy said...

Hi Sandra, well, I turned over our king size mattress all by myself today. Just took some Alleve, lol.

Tasha said...

I done my year review on my blog