Thursday, February 09, 2017

{ Bit of an off day, and some Paperwork Organization }

Does anyone else have those off days where you don't feel like doing anything, nothing seems interesting, you're bored but also don't have the motivation to actually get up and do anything?

I absolutely hate when I feel like that, I just want to slap myself out of it and get going.

February 9, 2017

Today started off this way.

I got up this morning and immediately knew that my day was not going to be a good one.  I felt off, I felt cranky and annoyed and couldn't pin point what exactly the issue was.  Truth be told, I still don't know what the issue is, it's just one of them days for me.

February 9, 2017

I did my usual morning chores, dishes, cleaning up, tidying, opening curtains and windows and so forth.  Then sat down for a few minutes to answer some emails, pay some bills and work on our taxes.

February 9, 2017

I got a book for review in the mail, I didn't even hear the mailman come the night before.  I opened the front door this morning and found the envelope on the ground.  Glad it didn't rain!!!

February 9, 2017

Then I sat for a few minutes and just paged through my Little House Cookbook.  I didn't feel like watching anything, I didn't feel like being on my laptop.  I think this point I was getting quite irritated with myself.

My husband came home for lunch and as we ate,  I told him how I was feeling.  You know I have a wonderful husband who is very understanding, who listens and doesn't judge me.  He simply stated that we all have those days and for me not to read too much into it or put too much energy into feeling that way.  He even told me to just relax for the rest of the day and do nothing.  Bless his heart, but I couldn't oblige.

The minute he went back to work I decided that I needed to sort myself out, get up, and get something done.  I have a pretty extensive To Do List of projects and goals and tasks I want to get done in and outside of the house.  So I forced myself to pick one project and get to it, no more whining or complaining about how I didn't feel like it.



Ok, so let's talk Paperwork.  You know like bills, and invoices, statements, taxes, medical stuff, school records and so forth.

I will tell you that as good as I am with other parts of my household, the paperwork is one I neglect, and when I say neglect I mean *neglect badly*.

February 9, 2017

I almost didn't want to share this photo because that basket was full, and even bursting at the seams with paperwork to be filed.  How embarrassing!!!!

I had papers falling out, dangling from the side, crammed in there.  Basically, when mail comes in, I throw out any junk mail, open anything important and then just shove it in the basket which is usually on top of my fridge, and completely forget about it.

February 9, 2017

I don't have a file cabinet, or rather, I don't have one anymore.  We used to many years ago and then on our last move from Arizona to Idaho it got broken and we never got around to getting a new one, but it's something I definitely want to get within the next few months.  I think it will make it so much easier.

For now I have this metal file box that I keep all my paperwork in.  See those files?  I have to laugh, I did those I would say 10 years ago or more.  Literally just threw everything in there, gave it a trashy label and moved on.

OH joy!!!

February 9, 2017

I spent close to 3 hours going through everything, sorting, dividing into piles to File, Shred, Trash, Keep Somewhere Else.

February 9, 2017

Empty, I emptied every single folder of it's contents and went through all the documents to see if I needed them or I could throw them out.

I am ashamed to tell you that I sound paperwork in there from 2002.  I mean, seriously????  What the heck was I thinking?

February 9, 2017

That's my shred file....ridiculous!!!

February 9, 2017

Got everything reorganized and into their rightful and updated folders.  These are temporary, I'm going to buy proper labels, a proper filing cabinet and get these looking nice and tidy.  For now though, it will work.

February 9, 2017

And that my friends, is my shred bag.  Holy Canoli!!!! 

That is pathetic, I can't believe I let my paperwork go this long.  But I tell you, I wasn't in the mood for this at all, and was trying to avoid it, but now I'm thrilled to have taken the time to do it.  I got rid of trash we didn't need and am left only with what is needed and important.

February 9, 2017

My basket is empty of bills and paperwork, it has a few empty folders, some labels, some takeout menus and my Planner.  I will move all of these to the office later and will be left with an empty basket which I plan on placing on my one of my counters in the kitchen.

February 9, 2017

Task accomplished, fresh cup of Chai Tea, and now to watch some TV and knit a little.  I'm taking a smidgen of a break from crochet to knit something up as a special surprise for someone.

So there you have it, that was my day, surrounded by papers and files and folders.

Tell me do you have a good system for filing your paperwork?
How long do you keep paperwork for before shredding it?
Do you use a file system within a cabinet or a box?

4 comments:

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

Sandra,

I have had to tackle that task in the past. It is a TASK. I currently have a decent system and I was planning on sharing it next week. Nothing fancy. Hope you have a super evening.

Pamela said...

I have this on my to-do list. I will, I will, I will get it done. I'm with Mrs. Chrissy T - post coming on how I conquered the giant!

Lulu said...

i needed this..i got tons of paper stuff i dont know what to do with..papers from 20 or more years ago..i need to trash it or put it in a bin and close it off ...i also need to go through drawers and get rid of crap..
have a good friday Sandra..

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I have those days of the grumpies and nothing seems right or good! Huggles.