Wednesday, December 06, 2017

{ Decorating for Christmas }


Last year, I had no Christmas mojo.

I felt like I stumbled onto the holiday season, right at the end and figured it was no use decorating.  So I didn't, and I felt bad about it because it didn't quite look like Christmas in my house.

_MG_9825

This year, I'm way ahead of the game, and decided that I needed to get going with decorations as soon as possible.

_MG_9827

It's no secret that the minute November comes around, I start watching Christmas movies, especially those on the Hallmark Channel.  TV is turned on in the morning and it's a Christmas movie fest all day long.  I absolutely love it.

_MG_9829

Last week I pulled out my Christmas boxes and had them just sitting in the corner, waiting for me to get to work.   So, after breakfast yesterday, I turned on the TV to the current movie, and got into the boxes.

It was so much fun decorating and working on the house.  I hadn't felt like that in a long time.  I mentioned on my Happy Homemaker Monday post, that I feel like I don't know who I am anymore because a lot of the things I had so much fun doing, weren't making me happy anymore.

But doing this yesterday, was like going back to the old me and I can't tell you how much I loved every single minute of it.

_MG_9830

I took some photos and thought I would show you a little of what I've done so far.

_MG_9831

_MG_9832

This is one of my favorite pictures :)

_MG_9833

_MG_9834

My nativity scene is one of my favorite Christmas decorations.  I got the manger many years ago, from Precious Moments, and the little ceramic figurines we bought, I don't even remember where.

_MG_9837

For the window treatments, I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do, but while looking through my boxes I found a ton of garland, so I used that and then placed some of my cinnamon scented pine cones on top, and little red bow in the middle.

_MG_9839

_MG_9841

Love the result and I didn't have to spend any money, just used what I already had on hand :)

_MG_9842

_MG_9845

My Christmas village is once again on the fireplace.  It's funny, before we moved to this house I always thought I had nowhere too many buildings because every place I tried to put them in, in our previous homes, always seemed too cluttered.

_MG_9848

Here with this fireplace, I feel like I don't have nowhere near enough, so I guess it's a good excuse to purchase a few more pieces right?

_MG_9849

The house is definitely feeling very festive and it's keeping me in the holiday spirit.

Earlier today I did our white Christmas tree in the living room, and then next weekend we will get a real tree for the den.  I'll take pictures tomorrow morning and show you in a new post. 

I hope you enjoyed a little sneak peek at my home and I would love to see yours, so if you've already decorated, let me know in the comments so I can come by :)

I'm off to start on dinner, which tonight is going to be Meatball subs.  Have a wonderful night friends.

7 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Beautiful! I am in the mood to bake or make candies today. I can't wait to start cookies too. I love your fireplace. We have a wood stove, so I miss decorating a mantle.

Susanne said...

Beautiful, Sandra! I'm down and out with the flu so decorating has been tough. But I'm getting there. We don't have a mantle anymore and it always kinda makes me sad at Christmas.

Row. said...

Looks wonderful! I'm still working on it. We have our tree up but are waiting till our daughter comes home from college to decorate it. What takes me the longest is fluffing the tree and garlands. I like your idea of putting them over windows-I now have an excuse to buy a couple more after the holidays Ha Ha. I think your houses on fireplace look perfect-not to cluttered and oh so cozy. I feel the same about mine and didn't bring them out last year. I'll try to post photos when we are done.

Simply Quaint said...

Looks beautiful......it’s hard when children have grown to keep the spirit going, but I told my husband this year, we are still alive, we need to embrace each day and holiday as if it was the last....I started out feeling like a Scrooge but I snapped out of it, tree is up, decorations done and shopping is completed a few handmade gifts to finish and baking to do....so happy to see that you got your mojo back too.....Blessings ......

Theresa said...

2017 has been the worst year of my life. I have yet to put up the tree and in all honesty want to skip the season altogether. I know if I don't put up the tree however my 19 year old daughter will likely slide into depression. Tonight I am forcing myself to put up the tree. God will have to help me through the rest of the month.

Theresa said...

P.S., your home looks cozy and inviting.

Sandra said...

Awww Theresa, I'm so sorry and I completely relate. 2017 hasn't been very good to us either so I'm hoping for a good one next year. My 18 year old suffers with depression and anxiety and this time of year is especially hard on her. She's super excited for Christmas though so I've been going along and putting all the decorations up and pretty much acting like they're still little. :) Wishing you a good new year :)