Sunday, August 20, 2006

Crafts, Cries and other Crazy Things!!!!

Well Good Morning everyone, are you at all distracted by the title of this post???

I think the title describes perfectly my day yesterday. Want to know why??? Well the crafts is me (obviously), the cries belong to Jasmine and other Crazy things I, well, I guess I don't know, I just put it in there to stick with the flow of C's coming out of my mouth.

Seems that this little cold is sticking around, and hey, who am I to complain, I just say "come on in, hurry up and get what you need and then move along for school is starting and I have NO time to entertain you". Who knows, maybe it will actually listen to me this time.

So while feeling miserable yesterday afternoon, and actually running a fever, I sat around on the couch. BORED!!! Yes, there is such a thing as a SAHM being bored, but not for the reasons some may think, it's not that I was being lazy, it's that I was feeling so sick and miserable that I couldn't DO anything, and THAT for a mom is really annoying. My hubby likes laughing at me about it cause he says "You always complain that you're so busy and never have time for yourself, but yet when you are forced to take some time, you complain that you're bored". He's right, it makes no sense, don't even try to decipher the whole meaning of it, because it's bound to drive you nutty.

But anyway, I was determined to do something, anything, so I remembered that I wanted to get my Candlewicking Pillows (the ones for my bed) started. I cut out the fabric and sat down, and within 30 minutes, this is where I'm at.....almost done, I have one tiny butterfly left, then it's wash, iron, sew and VOILA!!!! Beautiful Candlewicked Pillows for my bed.
Want to see???

This is when I started.....
And this is where I'm at right now.....almost done and I'm LOVING it.

I actually bought another book of patterns on Ebay for just $1.99. Yeah, how neat is that????

So today, I'm hoping to finish that little last butterfly and at least get it washed and ironed. I just can't wait to get the pillow finished so I can show you all :)

But anyway, I got done with my needlework and then it was time for dinner, and I was supposed to make one thing, but ended up making something different, I pretty much just switched one meal (on the menu) with another from another day. Let me tell you, you have GOT to try the Chicken Cordon Bleu Calzones......I couldn't believe how big they turned out, and goodness, how yummy. I've posted the recipe on "Full Bellies, Happy Kids" so go check it out.


Now I'm sure by now you're wondering what the CRIES were about. Well since it was saturday (the one day Jasmine is allowed to stay up late), Nicholas and I had already gone to bed, he was asleep and I was reading "Saved by the Light". It was around 11:30pm and the next thing I know, I hear a blood curdling scream from Jasmine followed by loud cries. I jump out of bed, run downstairs and see her sitting on a computer chair, with Curt holding her left foot up and trying to calm her down. Seems that there was a flashlight on the computer desk, it got knocked down accidently and landed right on her big toe.

Just so you know, Jasmine is a BIG drama queen and when she gets hurt it's like the whole world is coming to an end. Not to say that she wasn't hurt and in pain, her whole toe nail is blue, her toe is swelling and is bruised badly. So now we're trying to assess the situation, trying to make sure her toe isn't broken and that we don't need to take her to the ER, but she's just not cooperating. We ask her if she can move her toe at all and all she keeps saying, well screaming at us is "STOP IT, STOP IT". Yeah, not helping at all.

She did manage to move her toe, but we had to give her some pain medicine because she couldn't get to sleep with the throbbing on her toe. It looks horrible this morning, and she's hopping around and says it only hurts if she touches it......well, why don't you quit poking the darn thing then??? That's all I'm saying!!!

Now here's an announcement to you all......yes it's a major thing, earth shattering, call the media kind of thing. Actually, it's so not interesting, but whatever, I'm throwing it out there anyway LOL
I'm a sloppy book reader!!! There I said it.....I'm so organized and methodical with everything else, but when it comes to books, I can't just pick one and read it and be done with it, so I usually end up with a book in each room of the house. I DO read them all, and it doesn't seem to bother me or confuse me, I don't get the stories mixed up or anything. I guess I just like having a bunch of different storylines floating around.


I was reading "The Englischer" by Beverly Lewis, and then set it down and picked up "Saved by the Light" by Dannion Brinkley. It tells the story of a man (Mr Brinkley) who back in 1975 was struck by lightning and on the way to the hospital in the ambulance he died. He then found himself travelling through the dark tunnel towards the bright light, yes he was having a near death experience. He was met by a Being of Light and was shown a review of his life, the things he's done and how it affects others and then those affect others etc etc. BUT, he got to experience not only what he did, but how it felt to be in the other shoes. WOW is all I can say!!!

It got me to thinking about my own life and what I've done and accomplished, and most importantly how I've treated others around me. Can I really say that when I die, if I do indeed see a review of my life, I will be happy with what I've done??? It's a really scary thought, those times when you've been mean to someone, said an unkind word, acted in an unfair or unjust way, gossiped about someone.....come on, I know we've all done it, we've all at some point or another caused someone else pain.

So here's what I'm determined to do. I can't go back and change my past, I can't change the things I've done, but what I can and do have the ability to do, from now on, is change the way I am with others. I'm not saying that I'll never unintentionally hurt someone's feelings, but I can try my hardest to think before I talk and act (better get some Mouth Guards set up). Who knows, maybe when it's my turn to go back in time and see what kind of person I was.....I can at least be comforted in the fact that I know I DID do some good!!!

And with that said, I better get going. I would love nothing more than to sit here all day and visit with you all, wouldn't that be wonderful if we could get together, have lunch, a few drinks and just chat all afternoon??? *sigh* I can dream can't I??

13 comments:

mom of 2 said...

Hope you get to feeling better very soon!! Also hope your little girl's toe is better, too...that sounded very painful!!

The pillow is beautiful! I wish I had the patience to do crafts like that! I'm more of a 5 minute crafter...lol!

I'm with you on treating other people with kindness. I really try to instill this in the kids. I tell them that at school if there is a kid that maybe they don't like too much or is a mean kid or whatever the situation may be that they still have to treat this person with kindness and respect! I think that is so important!!

Christina said...

I hope your cold goes away and I hope your kids don't get it especially with school starting. That happened to my 3 year old this year, but what can you do. I will pray for you to feel better.
The pillow is awesome. You are so artisctiaclly inclined. I need to make more time for me to do some crafts now that the kiddos are in school.
I read the book by Dannion Brinkley years ago and it was a real good book. I couldn't believe what detail he described everything in.
I hope Jasmine's toe feels better, she needs to feel better for school.
I was just over at your food blog and can't wait to try the chicken cordon bleu calzones. I loved your rice pudding recipe and this one looks good too. You must be an awesome cook, it your ever living in my neck of the woods or me in yours I would love a dinner invite. The pictures are great too. It's like looking at an online cookbook. I am also going to try the egg rolls. I guess I should be posting at your food blog.
I am like you with books. People always ask how can I read so many books at once and I say it's like watching more than one show on tv and everyone does that.
I am checking out some of your new links and they are so fun to read except that now I have more blogs to check out every day. I do it in bits and pieces so thats ok.
Happy blog driving.

Barb said...

Well Sandra, if you'd told me off like that, I'd go away so maybe your cold will too.

Can't believe I've never tried candlewicking. It's French knots, right? Those cases are lovely. I'm going to have to try this. Please tell me it's french knots. Those I can do!

Her poor little toe. You do know, don't you, if it's broken they're not going to do anything about it. They never do with toes. Evidently they're self-healing.

Ahhh. Sounds like a perfectly normal Saturday to me!

someone else said...

I love your candlewicking! I've done a lot of needle work over the years but I never did that. Really pretty!

Poor Jasmine! I dropped a glass pop bottle on my big toe when I was a kid, so I know EXACTLY how she feels. My toenail actually came off and had to grow a new one. Poor baby!

Michelle said...

I bet your pillows are going to look great; can't wait to see the finished product!

Poor Jasmine! sounds like it was a heavy flashlight that landed directly on her toe - ouch! Hope she's feeling better soon - and you too!

Going over to check out the food blog. I love chicken cordon bleu, so I bet the calzones would taste delicious!

Michelle said...

I love the pillows. i haven't done that in so many years. I think the last thing I did was a quilt for my son while I was pregnant. He is now 10 years old. LOL

I hope Jasmine's toe feels better. I have had some kind of cold too so hopefully yours will go away and then mine too!

Courtney said...

I love the pillows & this crafty mood your in. Your getting me into these things too. LoL!
I hope Jasmine's toe feels better. I have the same drama queen attitude here. I have now nicknamed her Betty Davis...lol!
Love ya,
Court ♥

Beck said...

That pillow is beautiful. I can't do anything crafty... I always have a book in every room, too! You never know when you're going to need a book is MY theory.

Kelli said...

Hi Sandra!
I'm so sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. For me, fevers are the worst! No fun. Here are some get well ((HUGS)).
Poor Jasmine!! Isn't it amazing how something so small can hurt so bad. :0( I hope it heals quickly!

The pillow is gorgeous!!! I have never heard of candlewicking but I did some googling on it and I'm now the proud owner of a new hobby!!! ;0)
I can't wait to see them all finished!!

Talk to you soon,
Kelli

Melany aka Supermom said...

OUch, that toe must have hurt. The food sounds yum and I like the work you did on the cushion

MaR said...

Hope you are feeling well soon, as well as your little girl's toe (ouch!). I am amazed about your pretty needlework...while running a fever, sheezzz, can't do it even on my brightest day, it's wonderful! good morning to you too!

Jen said...

Yes.....you can be bored and be a SAHM....I was bored yesterday too....that is funny.
And,,,,yes you can dream.....
Jen

Laurie said...

I hope you are feeling better, and I love the pillow!! What you said about not being able to change the past but to look to the future on how we treat others and the things we say. That is so true, I just wish I could do better, I have good intentions, but sometimes (especially *that* time of month) the things that come out of my mouth..!