Monday, January 30, 2012

Period Drama TV Series

Over the years I can say that I have watched hundreds of Period Drama series and movies and I thought that it would be a good idea to have a running list of what I've watched or am watching, just to see all the great shows :)

I am so extremely fascinated with anything Edwardian, Victorian, Pioneer, Colonial etc.  So I'm dividing this list, and adding documentaries which I have watched over the years and think any period fan will enjoy.  


Titles including ***  can be watched on Netflix.

You can easily find this list up on the linkbar anytime you visit :)




#

1066 The Battle for Middle Earth (1066)

A
Anne of Green Gables (new modernized version coming to CBC Canada)
Anne of Green Gables
Aristocrats
Anne of Avonlea
A Harlot's Progress
A Town like Alice
A Place to Call Home
And then there were none
Alias Grace

B
Berkeley Square
Bramwell
Bomb Girls (Series)
Beowulf
Britannia
Banished
Bleak House

C
Christy
Cranford
Casualty 1900's
City of Vice
Cousin Bette
Courage, New Hampshire
Close to the Enemy
Charles II - The Power and the Passion
Charite

D
Downton Abbey
Dr Quinn Medicine Woman
Dancing on the Edge (1930's)
Defiance (1940's)
Duchess of Duke Street
Dracula
Doctor Thorne
Dickensian
Dark Angel
Decline and Fall
Daniel Deronda
Desperate Romantics

E
Endeavour

F
The Forsyte Saga
Foyle's War
Father Brown (About a Roman Catholic Priest who solves crimes)
Five Mile Creek
Fleming:  The Man who would be Bond
Frontier

G
Garrow's Law
Gosford
Greayre - A Woman of Substance
Gran Hotel (Considered the Downton Abbey of Spain...this one is in Spanish)
Gunpowder

H
Home Fires
Hetty Feather
Howards End

I
Island at War
In Plain Sight

J
Jamaica Inn
Jericho
Jamestown

K
Knightfall

L
Lark Rise to Candleford
Little House on the Prairie
Little House Miniseries
Little Men
Land Girls
Lightfields 


M
Murdoch Mysteries
Mr. Selfridge (Series)
Mercy Street
My Mother and other strangers
Medici:  Masters of Florence

N
North and South


O
Outlander (series)


P
Parade's End
Peaky Blinders
Poldark

Q


R
Road to Avonlea
Return to Cranford
Ripper Street 
Reign
Rillington Place
Roots

S
Sarah Plain and Tall
Spies of Warsaw (Set around 1914)
Servants


T
The Cazalets
The Pillars of the Earth
Titanic Julian Fellowes
Titanic Blood and Steel
The Three Musketeers 
 

U
Upstairs Downstairs
Underground

V
Victoria
Versailles

W
Wind at my back
War and Remembrance (World War II)
Wives and Daughters
When Calls the Heart (Based on Janette Oke's Canadian West book series)
Wolf Hall

X


Y

 

12 comments:

Amy said...

I am so in trouble now!

Kristy Jensen said...

We have the same taste in movies! I love all of these. I just got rid of Netflix b/c it didn't work for us. This makes me sad. I wonder how I can watch some of these. I can't wait to look for them elsewhere!!

Kim said...

I have a feeling that I will be refering to this list often. Thanks so much.

Kim

Liz said...

I can't wait to get started watching these. The best part is that my husband likes period dramas too so I have a buddy to watch it all with.

Eclecticity said...

Great list. I love period films, too! Two that I have seen and recommend are "Wide Sargasso Sea" (the story of the crazy woman in the attic in Jane Eyre met and married Rochester and what drove her to madness) and A Room with a View"

Elise said...

I love this list! I'm going to have to watch these. I just read Cranford so I'd like to see it.

Downton Abbey is FANTASTIC!!! It's on Netflix so I highly recommend watching it.

Heather said...

i love period dramas! great list! i will have to check some of them out that i haven't seen.

Lois Christensen said...

Love your list. I love period drama as well! Hope you had a great day!

Pamela said...

The Grand.

Treasures By Brenda said...

Great idea to create a list! So many good movies, so little time!

Sherri B. said...

Sandra, thank you so much for taking the time to make this list. My daughter and I often talk of all of the interesting shows that you speak of so this will make it so easy to enjoy along with you. xo

librarylady64 said...

Thanks for posting, I love all the links and info.