Saturday, May 22, 2021

{ Sandra's Saturday Surfing }

Back in 2006, I had started a feature on my blog called Sandra's Saturday Surfing.  I just wanted to share the websites I had visited, blogs I was enjoying, or any other internet site I had come across that I found interesting.

While looking through old blog posts earlier today, I came across it again and thought "Oh, how neat, and it is Saturday, maybe I can put one up today, that would be fun."

I looked through some of the old sites I shared, and let's just say that 90% of them are no longer available.  Makes sense, since they were linked back in 2006.  

This is the graphic I used, I had made it and was so proud of myself for putting it together.  


I have to smile at that.  It is so reminiscent of the kind of graphic I made and used back in the day.  Actually makes me miss my early blogging days even more.

However, times have changed, and I love using my own photos now.  I find it keeps at bay the usual copyright issues that you can run into, when using someone else's photo or a graphic that you find through Google.


I love this photo.  I think I took it back in 2017 or 2018, not quite sure.  I still had my desk at the living room window, and by the way, I loved having that little spot.  I have a beautiful view from my big windows, and found it so calming sitting there at the computer, typing away, while enjoying the trees, the field, the birds and the wildlife around.

Anyway, it is a rainy morning, it's cloudy and pouring it down outside.  It is also my husband's birthday, he turns 48 today.

We were just talking about how crazy it is to think that we are inching ever so close to 50.  Still feel like little kids, who just got married last year and have had our first baby.  Reality though is that we are middle aged, with a 22 and an 18 year old.  

We have no plans for today, but tomorrow the entire family, including my brother and his family, are attending church.  That was the only thing my husband wanted for his birthday, no gifts, no parties or get togethers, just for the family to attend church with him in the morning.  And that is what we will do.

Now, onto our Saturday Surfing.  Let's see where I've been this week, you ready?
 

Paperbackswap - I've talked about this one site many times, I ordered some new books with the credits I had available, and was even lucky enough to be gifted a free book from another member.  
 

Thrift Books - We use this site to look for textbooks for Curt's college course.  There are so many wonderful books available for really good prices.
 

YouTube - of course, I am on there every single day, watching vlogs, slow living videos and all sorts of documentaries.  Speaking of which, I am currently watching British History's Biggest Fibs with Lucy Worsley.
 

Mennonite Girls Can Cook - I have followed this blog since 2009, and unfortunately they stopped sharing recipes in 2018, but they still have over 3000 recipes available.  Some of the best, home cooked, simple, belly filling recipes you could wish for.


MapCrunch - Ok this website is so cool.  Basically every day you visit, there is a new location that Google Maps has brought you to.  All you do is explore the area, look around and enjoy the scenery.  It's a fun way to visit a little corner of the world, every single day, from the comfort of your home.


Wayback Machine - Oh wow.  I accidentally found this internet archive, and I've had the best time looking back on some websites and my own blog.  Just enter it a web address and it will show you which years you can pop back into.  I guess it saves your address a bunch of times, over years, and you can go back and see exactly what your website looked like.  It's been a trip down memory lane, for sure.  I actually got teary eyed looking at some of my old templates, blogs I followed, and even found some widgets that I had lost a long time ago, that I can now bring back to life on the blog.


Radio Garden - This is such a fun website.  I use it to listen to radio from Portugal and South Africa, but you can search any location in the world.  Do you want to listen to radio stations in England, Poland, Japan.  Any country, city, you can listen to instant radio.   It is amazing, give it a try.


So there you go, my Saturday Surfing.  I will probably keep this feature going every week, it will be fun to share new sites with you.

Have a blessed Saturday friends!

No comments: