Friday, February 18, 2022

{ Grocery shopping was interesting }

IMG_2644


I've tried to be nice about this weather, but I'm now over it.  Today was much colder than Thursday, we woke up to ice all over the cars and lawn, and a bitter cold that really cut to the bone.

It was 18 degrees.  I know I probably have no right to complain about the cold, because I think some of you are in much colder areas and still dealing with a ton of snow, but as bad as I feel for you all, I still dislike this cold we're having over here.  

Cold weather usually calls for a bowl of hot oatmeal, and the one I always make in my instant pot, always hits the spot.  I don't think I've ever made a creamier oatmeal, so good.
 
IMG_2633

I added in a chopped banana that I had in the fridge, it was already super ripe and no one was going to eat it.  

I got my bed made, got dressed and ready for the day, and then headed out to drop Jasmine off, and head to the commissary.

I hadn't been to a grocery store for a while, I've been using the Walmart pick up, but I missed the actual shopping in person, and was very excited to get in the store.

IMG_2634

It was an interesting grocery trip.  I think it was the first time that I really struggled to get what I needed, lots of empty shelves, and the prices seem to have doubled and tripled.  My first reaction was to get a bit worried, you can't but feel a bit scared.  

But I quickly felt a peace come over me.  It was as if God was telling me to stop and not let it scare me, to remember that He is in control and that He is our provider.

I was also quickly reminded that this is when I thrive.  That sounds a bit strange to say, but what I mean is, I love cooking and love a challenge, and trying to figure out what meals to make with what I have on hand is quite exciting for me.

So, the way to get through this is to pray on it, leave it in God's hands and then get to work being creative, and making meals that are inexpensive but still delicious.  At least that's what we are hoping for, right?

Ok, so for groceries today, I think this was the most I've paid in many many years.  My total came to $332.  

 

IMG_2635

I am so glad that I've always menu planned, because it does help a lot when trying to stay on track and not overspend or impulse buy at the store.
 
I got just what I needed for the next two week's meals, although there were a few items that I had to buy because we were completely out of.  Things like toothpaste, deodorants and then some spices that were empty as well.  Those things are not things I buy on a regular basis, but it just so happened that today was the day I had to replenish them. 

IMG_2636

I noticed that the fridge with the coffee creamers , was quite empty.  There were only a few in there, and they were so expensive.  I just grabbed a French Vanilla and walked away.  
 
The big Great Value Vanilla creamer you see on the shelf above, is from my last grocery run.  I've been making it last.  I also never make coffee with just creamer, because it's too sweet and it will finish really quickly.  I always do milk and then a splash of the creamer.

Do we love our creamer in the coffee?  Yes.  Is it absolutely a need to have?  No.  I grew up drinking coffee with just milk, and if need be, it will go back to that.  It's all about adjusting and going with the flow.

We need to start looking at grocery shopping, as wants and needs.  Some things are needs, of course, but a lot of our groceries are sometimes wants or splurges.  Extras so to speak, and if we need to go without those for a while, then we do.

IMG_2637

Perfect example of a want and not a need, is this bag of salad.  I make salad at home all the time, but this one looked good and I've never tried it, so grabbed a bag.  Thankfully, it was only $2, so not a splurge per say.

IMG_2639

Fresh vegetables is something I always pick up as well.  This time I got some carrots, zucchini, and bean sprouts for some egg rolls I'll be making next week. 

Also picked up tomatoes, and I always pick the roma tomatoes because they're cheaper.  I am not at all a person who has to pick the best brand or the best of this or that, I've always tried to be very thrifty when I shop.

Onions, broccoli and some peppers.

IMG_2640

IMG_2638

Got some sliced cheese, the Freedom's Choice brand which is the military commissary brand.  It is usually a lot cheaper than other brands.  

IMG_2641

IMG_2642

IMG_2643

Got some of the cheaper ham and shredded cheese as well.  One thing I did notice is that the shelves with the pillsbury products was completely empty, save for a can or two of biscuits, and thankfully some crescent rolls which I actually needed for tonight's dinner.  Everything else was completely bare.
 

IMG_2647

I got some ground beef, chicken and pork, and then some soups, canned tomatoes and spaghetti sauce, pasta, coffee, oil, butter and such. Nothing really out of the ordinary, just my usual groceries. 
 
And some cat treats and food.  Oh and a downy ball for my washer.  I've never used one but it was only $2 and I'm having the worst time with my washer leaving stains on my clothes from the softener, so hopefully this eliminates that issue while leaving my clothes smelling good.

I do love pulling the laundry out and having it smell wonderful.  I'm not a big fan of dryer sheets, but I've been making do for a few week with those.  Will have to see how I like the downy ball.

IMG_2648

I don't feel like I got a lot, but my wallet surely felt it.  I wasn't the only one taken back with the prices of everything and the bare shelves, there was quite a few shoppers complaining to the cashiers and the manager.

Goodness!

But as I said, I refuse to let this get me down or worry me.  I am leaving it in God's hands and I'm just moving on, and concentrating on my home and family.

IMG_2645

I've started planting and regrowing some of my veg, in preparation to get them in the ground, as soon as the last frost is done.  Which I'm hoping is soon, considering we are supposed to get another snow storm next week.  

At least inside it looks like Spring.  I already have lettuce, green onions, 4 avocados that are rooting at the moment, and I even grew a cactus from seed.

IMG_2646

Also, I promised  to share with you my teas every day, and this morning's tea was,  A Bronze Dragon's Brew.

It is a caffeine free Rooibos tea.  So good!!!

IMG_2649

IMG_2650

IMG_2651

The rest of the day, I paid bills, got some housework done and then fixed us a yummy dinner.  I try to do quick meals on Fridays and Sundays, it's usually either pizza or sandwiches, chili dogs, just simple meals like that.
 
Today I made French Dip Squares.  They are so good, and a fun dinner to have.  I'll have the recipe up tomorrow.
 
I've kept the food blog updated, been trying to add at least a recipe a day, so if you're interested in any of the food I show here on my main blog, be sure to head over to Full Bellies, Happy Kids and check those out.
 

IMG_2659

And with that said, I am going to call it a night.  Thank you all so much for the sweet comments, and the excitement over the fact that I'm daily blogging.  It means the world to me.

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to try to come and see you all, I'll also start replying to your comments here on the blog too, so we can interact and chat back and forth.

Have a wonderful night friends.
xoxoxo

8 comments:

collettakay said...

$332 isn't really that bad for 2 weeks worth of food. I went for groceries last evening and the meat has skyrocketed in price. I have beef stew on the menu for this week and it was $9.51 for a package of stew meat! I almost didn't buy it but then I would have had to figure something else out for dinner that night... What a problem to have! Here in my little area of Pennsylvania we haven't had to deal with empty shelves too much. At least not like the toilet paper fiasco of 2020!

As you said we just have to focus on God and trust Him to take care of us and our families. He is in control.

I'm off to bed also. I hope you have a peaceful, restful night!

Colletta

Billie Jo said...

I am indeed so happy to see you blogging daily! We share so many of the same ideas and thoughts. I am actually planning our menu out today for the upcoming week, and trying to make use of things we have, rather than shopping for things to fit a recipe.Have a cozy Saturday!

Cheryl said...

First time reader and enjoying your blog. Can't wait for the recipe for the French dip sandwiches. I live in PA and it seems winter will never end. It is so cold today with the wind but tomorrow is suppose to be in the 40's.

Mellie said...

Groceries sure are through the roof. Like you said, we just need to determine needs vs. wants and not panic. I managed to keep January just under $400 but February is seeking like more of a challenge. We've been eating a ton of beans. I need to get some meat soon. Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Sandra said...

I guess it isn't that bad, but for me it is lol I'm used to paying just under $250, so it's a bit crazy to pay this much. I know what you mean about the stew meat, funny enough I was telling my son that I wanted to make beef curry but when I saw the price of the stew meat I changed my mind.

Sandra said...

Awww thank you so much Billie Jo, I'm so glad :)

Sandra said...

Hi Cheryl and welcome to my blog :) So glad I have a new reader, it always makes me happy to see new faces around here. I will have the recipe for the French Dip Sandwiches this afternoon, actually typing it up at the moment.

Sandra said...

It's insane how expensive they are right now. I have a lot of beans as well, and I've been trying to make meals that are not too expensive, buying cheaper cuts of meat and so on.