Monday, August 04, 2008

The Simple Woman Daybook - August 4th

Hi everyone, come on in and see what's in my daybook!

If you want to join in, just got visit Peggy over at The Simple Woman, read the guidelines here and then add your name to Mr Linky. There are so many other participants sharing their day, I'm sure you'll enjoy looking through them :)





FOR TODAY



Outside my Window
...thunder, lightning and rain. The perfect day to stay inside :)

I am thinking...that I'm so proud of myself for sticking to the diet and for having lost 2 lbs this past week

I am thankful for...the wonderful husband and children I have, they make me laugh every day and show me more love than I could ever imagine

From the kitchen...Chicken Alfredo Pizza for dinner tonight and this afternoon I'm making a batch of Homemade Caramels

I am creating...Fabric purses with some fun summer fabric I have laying around

I am going... to get my driver's licence renewed today

I am wearing...jean shorts, white tank top, slippers

I am reading...just finished Breaking Dawn on saturday night and LOVED it, I also finished "Where Yesterday Lives" by Karen Kingsbury. It was a tear jerker. Now I'm starting "Fame" also by Karen Kingsbury and I have that whole series here at home to read, can'tw ait.

I am hoping...I am actually able to sit at the sewing machine today and get something done

I am hearing... thunder outside, Jasmine playing her game on the computer, Nicholas laughing as he blows bubbles in the living room

Around the house...the dishwasher ready to unload, beds to be made and windows that were supposed to be washed, but with the rain, why bother? LOL

One of my favorite things...Lavender....lavender linen water, lavender body lotion, lavender candles, lavender soap, lavender ANYTHING

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week... Just my driver's licence today, the rest of the week we're taking it easy and doing nothing, we're enjoying our last week of summer before kids head to school on the 11th

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...my favorite cake, going to bake it for my birthday on sunday and I thought I would share the recipe with you too. If you've never tried it before, you just HAVE to. Think of it as a birthday celebration with me LOL



TRES LECHES CAKE

1 package white cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk

1 cup milk

1 cup (1/2 pint) whipping cream

1 container (8 ounces) whipped topping, thawed


Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Bake about 35 to 40 minutes or until cake is firm to the touch. Remove cake from oven; cool 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine sweetened condensed milk, milk and whipping cream in a 4-cup measure. Poke holes all around the warm cake, using a wooden skewer or toothpick. Slowly pour milk mixutre evenly over top of holes on cake. Let cake cool 10 to 15 minutes more to absorb all the liquid. Cover and refrigerate cake in pan at least 1 hour.

When cake is completely cool, spread whipped topping evenly on top. Cut into pieces and serve with fresh fruit. Keep cake covered and refrigerated.

28 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi, Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I was curious so I had to visit yours also!! It is wonderful!! I love great recipes, you seem to have so many!!
Please come by anytime. So nice to meet you by way of the "Daybook"!
Beautiful Blessing to you and yours~ Kelly Maria

the said...

I just gained 20 pounds looking at that recipe! Im drooling :)
Thanks for another great recipe!!
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Love your daybook, now I want cake though,

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Wonderful daybook. But you just had to show a picture of a cake lol. It's funny my birthday was last month and I posted my cake too. I don't know why I don't make it more often. I guess because then it wouldn't be as special. Oh and you commented on the book I was reading...If you look at last months post near the end of the month I actually did a book review on it so you can take a peek at it if you would like. It's a great book.
Have a great day!
Blessings,
Kim

Mozi Esme said...

Congrats on the weight loss! You almost inspired me, until I saw the cake!

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some leftover guava cake I need to go eat . . .

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Rain sounds wonderful! We've actually had a little the last day or so which has been a blessing. It's been so dry here. Supposed to be 97 today, with a heat index of 105. Ugh.

That's awesome that you've lost 2 pounds! I wish I had some motivation. I like to eat too much :) That cake looks wonderful - happy almost birthday!!

Enjoy the Firstborn series. I liked them, and am waiting on her to finish the Sunrise series before I start on those :)

Have a wonderful day!

GranthamLynn said...

I wish I was where you are rain and yummy food and that cake looks too yummy! I love that kind of pizza but I add fresh spinach to it too. It is yummy just tell the kids it is Popeye spinach (and the hubby too) Do they know who Popeye is? We love old really old cartoons around here.
Well thanks for stopping in. I haven't been by in a couple of days I had trouble with the inter-net Friday and couldn't log onto favorites. It was kind of weird. But it is fixed now.
Have a great week. And smile really pretty for the camera!

Ellie said...

Oh that cake looks great, I may just have to try making that when I have a minute! Also, congrats on the weight loss, that is great! I enjoyed your daybook!
Blessings,
Ellie

Jen said...

Your cake looks awesome. I love birthday cakes..I hope your birthday is a great one. I wish it would thunder and rain here. We need it. Enjoy this last week it will fly by and then its back to school.

Susanne said...

I'll have to surprise hubby with this cake. He loves sweetened condensed milk anything!

Yeah for you and 2 lbs. lost! I really, really need to get going on a program.

Anonymous said...

Sandra, Just thought that i'd stop by to say,I hope that you are having a great day! Hugs and God's Blessings-Mike G. said that!(It's an A.A.Thing)

Anonymous said...

wow that cake looks good. I hope it won't crash your diet!
Toni

DebD said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. Wow, that cake looks awesome and the recipe seems very easy. Must try soon!

Lisa Cobler said...

That cake looks yummy !

Anonymous said...

Your birthday is the day after mine!!!

Allison said...

Hi Sandra! Nice to "see" you on my blog today.

This is another beautiful post but how can you lose 2 pounds with all this yummy food? You must exercise a lot.

My 2nd son's birthday is Sunday too!

Happy early birthday, may it be your best year yet!

La Dolce Vita with LeAnn said...

Dang...I was so proud of you for losing 2 lbs...then I read this awesome...just look at gain weight recipe. Can't wait to try it!

La Dolce Vita with LeAnn said...

oops forgot to tell you I'll be reading the Karen Kingbury books also. See my AAADD is real!

threesidesofcrazy said...

Sounds like a great relaxing week with the kids! Enjoy it.

Hill upon Hill said...

I agree lavender is wonderful. Happy birthday.

SimplyMe said...

Happy Birthday. I hope to try that cake in the near future. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

How'd you like the book? dd2 finished it last night, and i hope to get it started tonight.

Michelle said...

You're tempting me with the carmels and the cake ;-) I love the simple woman daybook,maybe I'll try it next week...have a great week..

Angela's Kitchen said...

Happy Birthday to you! Your blog always makes me smile. It always seems restful, or funny, or has a tip or just a thought on life that blesses me. Just thought you should know... Thank you for sharing all you do.

"See" you Thursday for slow cooking!

Brenda said...

cake looks yummy! :)

Jen said...

I've made that cake before, it is very good! A bit sweet but still good at that. We really enjoy going to the museum, my husband especially loves it when we go because I always get in a rustic cooking mode after our visits. Even in the summer.

Christina said...

Karen Kingsbury is one of my favorite authors.

I thought I was the only one who let my kid blow bubbles in the house.

A few years back my daughters friend showed us how to make Tres Leches Cake. All I can say is yumm-o!

Mrs. H. said...

We love Tres Leches at my house! Thank you so much for such a wonderfully easy sounding recipe! I can't wait to try it. :-)

Karen said...

The cake looks scrumptious. Have a wonderful birthday! (I love lavendar too:)