Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Thing about Great White Sharks - TLC Book Tour


Title: The Thing About Great White Sharks
Author: Rebecca Adams Wright
Publisher: Little A (Amazon Publishing)
Release Date: February 10, 2015
Acquired Via: TLC Book Tours

In this collection’s richly imagined title story, our brutal and resourceful protagonist is determined to protect her family from a murderous, shark-ridden world—at any cost. Elsewhere, an old woman uncovers a sinister plot while looking after a friend’s plants (“Orchids”), and a girl in the war-torn countryside befriends an unlikely creature (“Keeper of the Glass”). In “Barnstormers,” a futuristic flying circus tries to forestall bankruptcy with one last memorable show. At the heart of “Sheila” is the terrible choice a retired judge must make when faced with the destruction of his beloved robotic dog, and “Yuri, in a Blue Dress” follows one of the last survivors of an alien invasion as she seeks help.

Extending from World War II to the far future, these fifteen stories offer a gorgeously observed perspective on our desire for connection and what it means to have compassion—for ourselves, for one another, for our past…and for whatever lies beyond.

********************************************

My thoughts:

Though I love long novels, I have to say that I have a special affinity for short stories.  Maybe because I'm a busy mom and sometimes don't have the time to sit and read a book without having to put it down, which becomes frustrating because I tend to lose track of the story.

Short stories are perfect for those moments when I have a bit of free time but can set it down and walk away knowing that I've finished that particular story, and the next time I open the book up it will be something new.

I really enjoyed this book, there was a mix of everything which made every single story unique and totally different from the one before.

Orchids, Keeper of the Glass and Yuri in a Blue Dress were some of my favorites.  Aliens, ghosts, WWII, some of the things I most love reading about, all compiled into one neat little book.

Loved, loved it. 


Thank you to TLC Book Tours for providing me with a review copy.

3 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

Short stories are great for busy people for dipping in and out of aren't they! xx

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Short stories are so fun - and these sure sound very imaginative!
Thanks for sharing and happy weekend dear Lady! xo

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I love short stories but I often forget to keep them handy. I need to get better at having a collection on hand at all time.

Thanks for being a part of the tour!