Thursday, March 28, 2019

{ What I'm currently watching on TV }


It's been a while since I've sat down and shared my current favorites.  Back in January of 2017, I did a post titled Top Shows to Binge Watch on Netflix, and told you about the favorites at that moment.  You can go over and read all about it, if you missed it.

It's been 2 years and since then I've watched numerous shows and found some new favorites to add to my list, but I haven't really sat down and told you what I was enjoying.  I know a lot of you like when I share what is on my TV, and I too like seeing what others are watching, so let's see what I've been up to.

The very first one I have to tell you about is quite new, only 2 episodes in but I'm absolutely LOVING every second.









Jesus:  His Life - History Channel

“Jesus: His Life” explores the story of Jesus Christ through a unique lens: the people in his life who were closest to him. Each of the eight chapters is told from the perspective of different biblical figures, all of whom played a pivotal role in Jesus’ life including Joseph, John the Baptist, Mary Mother of Jesus, Caiaphas, Judas Iscariot, Pontius Pilate, Mary Magdalene and Peter.

It is told in documentary style with numerous biblical scholars, historians, faith leaders and theologians, intermingled with recreations of the story being told.  The series is by Joel Osteen and focuses on Jesus' life from birth to death and all in between.  It is fantastic!







The Act - Hulu

Here we see the story of Dee Dee and Gypsy Blanchard, portrayed on screen, in all it's horrible deplorable glory.  If you don't know about Gypsy Blanchard, you are in for a roller coaster of emotions that will culminate in you sitting there, mouth wide open, in shock, wondering just what on earth some parents are thinking.

It is based on a true story turned murder case, about a mother and daughter duo who on the outside seem to lead a simple and yet sad life.  Gypsy is said to suffer from all sorts of diseases and ailments that have left her bald, unable to walk and in need of a feeding tube.  The mother is supposed to be a devoted loving mom, doing everything in her power to take care of her sick daughter.

What we don't know is that beneath all this is a sick twisted story of a woman suffering from Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy who has basically sentenced her daughter to a life of torture.

It is a hard story to follow, it left me sick to my stomach at times, and the end leaves you in a state of confusion.  I don't condone violence in any way, shape or form, but there are cases where I can understand how a frail mind can break and commit the horrible act of murder.  Anyway, just take a look for yourself.

The Act is going to be a character based seasonal anthology series that will tell stranger than fiction true crime stories. 





Frankie Drake Mysteries - PBS

Set in 1920s Toronto, the series follows the adventures of Frankie Drake (Lauren Lee Smith) and her partner Trudy Clarke (Chantel Riley) at Drake Private Detectives, the city’s only all-female detective agency, as they find themselves fighting crime in the age of flyboys, gangsters, rum-runners, and speakeasies.

 Well you know how I feel about period dramas and series, so this one was on my watch list mainly for that fact, but I do quite enjoy a good mystery series and this one is so enjoyable to watch.  I started it not too long ago so don't have much to say on it, other than if you're looking for a period murder mystery detective kinda of show, this is one to maybe take a look at.




Agatha Christie's Ordeal by Innocence

Here's another great crime, drama, mystery series and of course when it has the wonderful name of Agatha Christie attached to it, you know it's going to be good.

The story follows the Argyll family and particularly Jack Argyll who has been accused of murdering their matriarch.  One day a man shows up on their doorstep claiming he knows for sure that Jack is innocent.  The whole family is turned upside down while they try to figure out who the real killer is and if it is still living among them.



Requiem - BBC One

In 1994, a toddler disappeared from a small Welsh village, never to be seen again.  23 years later, in London, the mother of rising cello star Matilda Gray commits suicide, without apparent reason.  Among her possessions, Matilda discovers tantalizing evidence, linking her mother to the Welsh girl's disappearance all those years ago.

I've only watched the first episode so can't say much, but the story is really interesting and I'm quite looking forward to what is going to come out of it.




The Real War of Thrones

In the turbulent formative centuries of early Europe, power-hungry family dynasties fought for domination of the continent.

I have this one ready to go, haven't started it merely because I'm trying to finish off the others above before adding something else to my schedule.  But, it looks so good and it's right up there with my favorite type of genre.

 



This Farming Life

Documentary series following the struggles and triumphs of five very different farming families in some of Scotland's most beautiful and remote landscapes.

Farming, Scotland, yep, that got me right away.  I've enjoyed watching this series, it gives me an insight perspective into what farming is really life for some families.  I find things like this interesting and I am always learning something new, so definitely one to watch if you also are into this kind of topic.




The Cult of The Family

A three-part investigation that chronicles the rise and fall of Asutralia's most notorious cult, The Family and it's strange but charismatic female leader, Anne Hamilton-Byrne.

I'm also waiting to start this one, but I am pretty sure I'll watch it this weekend because I'm fascinated with the whole family cult topic.  It looks really good, and you all know I like crime shows or documentaries about real life occurrences. 


And that is it, just a few of the shows that I have on my watch list, and am either currently watching or waiting to start as soon as I'm done.

I hope you've enjoyed my little list, and that maybe it gave you some ideas or pointed you in the direction of something new to watch.  We have so many series/movies available and it's often hard to pick just one to go with, so I hope by giving you a few choices, I've helped narrow it down for you a bit.


No comments: