Tuesday, January 07, 2020

{ Homemaking Routine that I love }

_MG_7084

I am eternally grateful to God, for blessing me with the opportunity to be a homemaker.

This week I have been able to get back to the homemaking routine that I so love, and nothing makes me happier.  Even the mere act of folding clean kitchen towels, brings a smile to my lips.



_MG_7058

The moment my feet hit the ground, this morning, I knew it would be a busy one, but I also told myself that once everything on my to do list was finished, I would sit down and relax.

First thing early this morning, I had to run and get gas in my car before taking Jasmine to work.  It was cold outside, like really cold, I was waiting for the car to fill up and was standing there shaking.

Came back home, got dishwasher emptied and reloaded, made breakfast for Jasmine and made sure her lunch was ready for work.  Jasmine is 20 years old and perfectly capable of making her own lunch and getting her own things ready, but I don't mind doing it for her, it helps the morning go faster, and gets us out the door on time.

After dropping her off, I ran into Aldi for some milk.  That was all I needed, milk and potatoes which I had run out of, but let's be honestly, no one ever walks into Aldi for just one or two thing.  I ended up picking up 3 dozen eggs, they were on sale for 48 cents, you can't beat that price.  I also grabbed 2 gallons of milk which was on sale as well for a little over 2 dollars.  Grabbed a pineapple, some seeded bread for me and some snacks for the kid.

I then stopped at Dollar General closer to home for some drinks, and also grabbed my Suavitel laundry softener and some more laundry pods as well.  It is cheaper than at the commissary, and since I'm going grocery shopping on Friday anyway, this will just come off the grocery budget.

_MG_7061

_MG_7064

Back home I fixed some breakfast,  before getting stuck into the homemaking chores. There were beds to be made, laundry to wash, living room couches to be tidied and pillows to be fluffed.

Most of these tasks are repetitive and when you do them every single day, they can start to become boring, or quite frankly, annoying.  However, I don't feel that way about my job at home, and I am so used to my routine and schedule that I actually get a little out of sorts when I'm plunged into a different setting.

_MG_7067

When everything was done, I quickly made a simple lemon mousse dessert for my husband.  Well, for all of us obviously, but my husband loves anything lemon flavored, so it was made with him in mind.

It's these small gestures that we as wives and homemakers, may not think much of, but my husband appreciates it and is very thankful anytime I do something like this for him.  Honestly, it doesn't take much effort on our part and it makes our husbands happy, so why not?

_MG_7071

_MG_7074

_MG_7075

_MG_7076

An aspect of homemaking that is often overlooked, in the craziness of everything that needs doing around the house, is that of taking a few moments to ourselves to indulge in something we enjoy.

For me it's always been crochet and I've missed it terribly.  So much so, that I grabbed a few colors today, threw them in a basket and got started with a new project.  Yes, I know, the past year or two, I tend to start crochet projects and then they lay in a corner of the room, never to be picked up again. 

_MG_7098

Mainly the problem has been that I've started projects that require a lot of time, a lot of quiet, a lot of stitch counting, and frankly, I haven't had the time to devote to that.

But I do want to get back to crocheting, so the project I've picked this time is probably what you would call a beginner project.  A simple, easy blanket with no crazy stitches, just a plain forward double crochet that I can pick up at any time and work on, without having to stop everything else. 

I've often stolen moments in the kitchen, while cooking, to work a row here and there, and I totally plan on doing that again, hence the basket I carry it all in.  If you don't have a basket for your crochet or knitting works in progress, I highly recommend one.  It goes with you from room to room and everything stays in one place.

You know what I've just realized?

That when you look from the outside in, my life probably looks incredibly boring, monotonous or repetitive, and it may well be, but I still really love doing the same things over and over, day in and day out.  I guess I'm a creature of habit.

I got all the housework finished this morning, and then took the afternoon off to relax and catch up on Sanditon.  If you haven't yet watched it, and you love period dramas and more specifically Jane Austen, you will really enjoy it.

In case you didn't know, Sanditon was Jane Austen's unfinished novel, so seeing it come to life on the screen is truly remarkable.

Well my friends, I am headed to bed.  Before I do so, I would like to ask you all to please pray for our troops overseas.  We just heard the breaking news and I honestly have no idea what is going to happen with the whole Iran thing, but I do know that again, this is the Lord's battle and not ours, and what we can do is pray and let Him do His work.

We may never understand why some acts are allowed to happen, and frankly it's not up to me to question God's way, but I do pray for our men and women currently overseas, as well as the ones that will undoubtedly be deployed and even the ones back home who may be called back into Active Duty.  My husband is one of those and I know that if he were called upon, he would step right back into active duty and fight for his country.  It is one of the reasons I love him so much.

Anyway, we need to pray incessantly, now more than ever.

Have a wonderful blessed night!

3 comments:

Pamela said...

Lovely post, Sandra, praying without ceasing for the situation in the Middle East.

Jean said...

Really enjoyed your post, yearning to find a bit of a homemaking routine myself this year. Definitely, praying and thinking of the situation in the Middle East.

Rachel said...

I love this post. You have been such an inspiration to me and I am sure to others. Definitely praying for everything going on in the Middle East.