Sunday, July 17, 2022

{ Drought and old books }

IMG_3160

My phone just dinged, informing me of a heat advisory.  I appreciate the thought, but I think I knew that without being told about it.  It's hot, and I mean HOT!

Hubby and I were just sitting at the table for lunch and talking about, how our grass is all yellow and dying.  We are dealing with a drought here in Texas, at the moment, 46% of the state is experiencing a drought, and it's been quite awful for the vegetation, rivers and animals.  Our Governor has issued a Drought Disaster Declaration, hundreds of ranchers are selling all their livestock, it's just a bleak situation.

Unfortunately, we are also experiencing a heat wave, pushing the temperatures to triple digits and not easing up at all.  It's quite hard, so we're all doing the best we can, using as little water as we can, and trying to water the gardens and trees minimally.

Please keep our State in your prayers, along with any other State going through the same situation.
 

IMG_3150

IMG_3151

IMG_3152

IMG_3153

IMG_3154

IMG_3155

IMG_3156

IMG_3158

I'm just really hoping and praying, that we don't lose our garden and our fruit trees. 

IMG_3161

Miss Kaia is getting so big.  She is now 7 months old, and on the 26th goes in for her spaying.  I'm dreading it, especially since we have to leave her overnight.  If you've had your dog spayed, and have any advice or tips for the after care, please share them with below.  
 
We've decided we would rather do the onesie method instead of the collar.  Knowing her, she will get very irritated with it and won't rest until it's off.
 
I just pray she heals quickly.
 
Yesterday, I had my usual pottering around the house, getting things done.  One of the chores I've been putting off, was cleaning and conditioning our wooden doors.  When we moved into this house, some of the doors had dog scratches on them, and then with our dogs, they added on to them, and over the years I've had to try and fix those.
 

IMG_3145

IMG_3146

One of the easiest ways to do that, is by using our favorite Old English product.  It polishes, cleans and gets rid of those unsightly scratches, so that is what I did.

And I just realized I ended up not taking a picture of the finished product.  Why?  I have no clue!  

I also gave all the wooden bookshelves a good cleaning and polishing too, and while doing that, admired some of my favorite books, which are the older vintage looking ones.
 
 IMG_3163

IMG_3164

I bought this one, one year when we were at the Arizona Renaissance Festival.  They always had a book store with really cool and interesting books, full of wonderful information.  I grabbed it because I love all sorts of flowers and plants and herbs, and I think it's interesting to learn what they do, and how to use them.

God has provided us all these amazing plants at our fingertips, ways to heal our bodies and minds, without having to resort to chemicals.  It's up to us to study them and use them wisely.  It's something I would absolutely love to do one day, to be knowledgeable enough to identify them and know immediately what they're for.

One day.......

IMG_3165

Another thing that I love about purchasing old books, is that I never know what I'm going to find inside.  This time, it was a bookmark someone left in, from a book shop in New Orleans.  How neat is that?

It peaked my interest, so I looked up the bookshops online, and found pictures for you.....
 
 

Makes me want to take a trip, just to visit these book shops and spend an hour or two, walking around, lost in all the wonderful books.

It is now 3pm and I'm sitting on my bed with my furry babies, who are fast asleep next to me.  And I just thought, why not take a nap along with them?  Maybe.  I'm going to start by laying down with a fluffy blanket, because even if the temperature is extreme outside, I still need to be under a blanket.  Anyone else?

I'll watch some youtube homemaking videos and if I nap, great, if not, that's fine too.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your Sunday, and I'll see you all back here tomorrow for our Happy Homemaker Monday!

No comments: