Wednesday, October 04, 2023

{ Hello October, I am back }

IMG_5189

 
The temperatures have dropped, days are getting shorter, and there is a feeling of coziness and warmth, that is slowly spreading across my home.

My favorite time of year, has descended upon us, and with it, it has brought a slowness that I was desperately needing.  I have been waiting with baited breath.  I sometimes feel that I hold my breath during summer, because instead of it being a lazy, relaxing time, it usually is a terribly busy, chaotic, constant on the go time of year.  At least for me and my family.

So here I am.....I am back!  Back where I belong, back where I want to be and so incredibly thankful and grateful, to be sitting with at this computer, and typing up a blog post.

IMG_5155

IMG_5157

 
We've had visitors, we've had family get togethers, we've had some issues with different family members, and the usual attacks from the enemy.  There have been days this past summer, that I went to bed with a heavy heart, sad, feeling discouraged and just wanting life to slow down.

It didn't help that we had an excruciatingly hot summer, with no rain and temperatures that would leave me gasping for air, just by stepping outside for 5 minutes.  It was awful, and I'm glad it's over.  I guess it's taken me many years to accept that I am not a summer girl....AT ALL.

IMG_5158

IMG_5159

 
Because I had such a busy schedule the past few months, the time that I did have to be at home, I spent it inside, doing my usual homemaking.  Although our schedules and routines changed a bit, the chores that comprise the up keeping of a home, never change.
 
While my stepmom was here, Curt and I chose to give her our bedroom, and we slept on an air mattress in the living room.  That was an adventure in itself.  Now, we know what it's like to sleep on air mattresses, you can't be a military family and not know what it's like to wake up in the middle of the night to air up a mattress that has gone flat.  Always, right?
 
It wasn't easy at first, and my sciatica was telling me in no uncertain terms, that I am getting too old for that kind of bed.  However, can I tell you that now there are days, that I miss sleeping in the living room?
 
Am I crazy?  Probably, but I guess it was almost like a constant sleepover, and our animals just loved that too.  I told Curt that maybe this weekend, I need to pull out the mattress and sleep in the living room again.  Hahah 

IMG_5160

 
The babies are doing well.  Kaia is turning 2 years old in December.  She's come into our lives, and has filled my heart with so much love and joy.  She has healed me from Marley's loss.  I will never forget my boy, and if I talk about him or see a photo of him, I still cry, 2 years later.  He was so special to me.
 
Kaia is a lot like Marley, and she even does things that remind us of him.  What a sweet girl!
 
Elliott is 3 years old, and the sweetest boy , although he is a cat through and through.  If you have cats you know what I'm trying to say.  He is very specific about when he wants to be loved and when he doesn't.  He is naughty, he makes us laugh, he tries to play with Kaia but sometimes ends up terrorizing her by stalking, hiding and jumping out as she walks by.

I just wouldn't trade this for anything in the world.  

The chickens are good.  Henry our rooster, has decided that he hates us, so anytime we go in the coop, he charges and tries to fight us.  It's frustrating, although I still love his crazy attitude. 

IMG_5173

IMG_5174 

 
The eggs have been constant and I no longer have to buy from the store, which makes me so happy.  Only our Penny is laying.  Our Puffy, which is the fluffy Black Cochin Bantam, laid 2 eggs then stopped.  I'm not sure why, she may be broody or I don't know.  But she is my favorite.  Oh my goodness, she loves being held and loved on and comes running the minute she hears my voice.  

We do want to get more chickens next spring, but for now, the 3 we have are ok.  I just wish this rooster would knock his nonsense off.  It's one of the reasons I didn't want roosters, but when you get them from your local store, you don't have much choice in what they are.  Lesson learned!

IMG_5175

IMG_5178

 
I've definitely been enjoying the slower start to my days.  Not having to run around and drive anyone, has allowed me to really enjoy my home again.  Opening the curtains, letting the sun come in, having a cup of coffee and a piece of toast slathered in butter without shoving it down my throat as quick as I can so I can run out the door.

The slowness of Autumn is what I most enjoy.

IMG_5196

 
I've also looked through my books, because I've felt a pull to read something Autumnal, something that truly inspires and gets me into the full spirit of the season.  With that in mind, one of the first I grabbed, that caught my attention immediately was Susan Wittig Albert's The Tale of Applebeck Orchard.

All of Susan Wittig Albert's books, are a joy to read, if you've never read one of hers, maybe this is the time to start.  I promise you will love them.

IMG_5199

 
Something else I have been enjoying a lot lately, is getting back in the kitchen and making delicious food, baking cakes and bread and filling our tummies with all sorts of goodies.

I was in a bit of a slump for a while, I think of course due to the routine being changed, and always having a place to be, or people visiting, or just not having time to cook anything other than some quick family favorites.

But the past 2 months I have started not only making more of my Portuguese food, but also looking into different cultures, different countries and the food they eat.  I tell you the food that we consume here in the States is not good.  I hate saying that because I live here, but when I look at other cuisines, I am in awe of the freshness, the healthy ingredients and the myriad of different dishes they enjoy.

It's kicked me into a whole new level of enjoyment in the kitchen, and I can't wait to start sharing these recipes with you.

IMG_5186

IMG_5181

IMG_5172

From delicious chicken dishes, to Turkish street food pizzas known as Pide, and even some of my favorite childhood treats, Pataniscas de Sardinha (Sardine Cakes).  I also just took out of the oven, an Apple Cider Donut Cake which has made the house smell, soooooo good.  

All of these I will start adding to the food blog, just be patient with me as a I wade my way back into full time blogging again.  Also, typing up the recipes and taking photos and editing, it all takes a lot of time, so I'm trying to slowly ease my way back and not overwhelm myself from the get go.  That's never a good thing for me.

Anyway, I just wanted to come in and say hi, let you all know that I am here, I am ok, we are all doing well, and I am back here in my little corner of blogland.  I hope you're all doing well, again, thank you for always being here, for leaving comments and for following my life and what I have to share.  

I have to end this post now, because I have bread in the oven that is about to be ready to pull out and I certainly don't want to leave it in there longer than it needs.

Have a blessed Wednesday my dear friends, and a very happy Autumn to you all.

3 comments:

Mellie said...

I'm so happy all is well there and you are back!!!! I've missed your posts.

Jean said...

Enjoyed reading your post. Glad you are back to being able to do the things you love. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Michael White said...

Happy to see you again!






Do My Assignment For Me