Wednesday, October 28, 2020

{ Winter Storm.....what?!?! }

_MG_9274 

Sunday, the weather started getting cold. Not the usual October in Texas cold, where it gets to the high 60s and 70s, but I mean cold as in 30 degrees. 

_MG_9286 _MG_9289 _MG_9291 

The rain started coming down, and I remember sitting back and thinking "Oh this is perfect Fall weather, rainy, dark, just perfect to stay in, watch movies and snuggle under a blanket." 
 
And then Monday morning rolled around, and the minute I stepped out of bed, I knew that it was not only cold but freezing cold. 
 
The temperature was 24, with a real feel of 18. WHAT?!?!?!? 
 
The weather warnings started coming in, but honestly I didn't think it would get that bad.  I know, I'm one of those who doesn't really believe the meteorologists and thinks they often get it wrong.
 
 It kept getting colder, the rain kept coming down, and then by Monday afternoon it had switched to freezing rain.

By Tuesday morning, we woke up to a winter wonderland.

Beautiful, but, wow, everything was iced over.  We have so many broken trees on our property, I guess the weight of the ice was too much for the branches.  We will be out there this weekend chopping wood for the fireplace.

_MG_9294 

One thing we weren't counting on was the damage to our veggie garden. I knew that we would eventually face frost, later in the year, and we had planned on winterizing the garden, covering the veggie beds and such, but this winter storm came out of nowhere. 

My tomato plants are now completely gone, and it's sad because I had so many tomatoes on there still. Curt went out yesterday afternoon and harvested all the tomatoes. Of course they're still green, but I wasn't about to let them go to waste. I made a Green Tomato Sauce this morning, in the pressure cooker. 

I got two pint jars out of it, one I will can later today or tomorrow, and the other I will use for dinner tonight, since I'm making pasta anyway. 

_MG_9295 

  _MG_9302 

My husband's work got cancelled, and thankfully Jasmine wasn't working yesterday either, but I guess everything just shut down, including schools. 

The roads were really bad, so much so that even our driveway was impossible to drive in. 

_MG_9303 

  _MG_9307 

I've been loving these days when my whole family is home. I know it can get a little crazy at times, but I really love having my whole family around. 

I lock the door, make yummy food, bake good stuff and we just relax all day long. 

_MG_9309 

  _MG_9314

So that is what happened yesterday. Did school with Nick, Jasmine did her own thing, Curt did his school work and I just pottered around the house, made some burgers for dinner and some Portuguese donuts, which are called Bollinhos de Chuva. 
 
If I had to translate exactly it would be Rain Cakes. But they're just Rainy Day Donuts. 
 
They are very easy to make, but boy are they delicious and very dangerous to have around. Guess that explains why we don't have many left. Hahah 
 

_MG_9316 

 I will have the recipe on the food blog today. 
 
By the way, I've been trying to keep the blog updated, I know I don't really get comments over there, but that's fine, I understand. If I'm not updating and keeping up with the recipes, it's normal that traffic will eventually disappear. So I'm trying, my life is so busy lately and nothing like it used to be a few years ago. 
 
 I think when Curt was still active duty and we were stationed in Arizona, things were easier, which is so strange if you think about it, because both kids were little and in school. Usually that means a busier life, and I kept thinking once they are older I'll have more time. Nope! 
 
Their needs just change, so in some ways I feel like I have less time now than I did back then, which also means all the time I had to blog and try new recipes, upload the and so forth, is just gone. Maybe one day I'll get back to it, but maybe not. Only God knows the future right? 
 
Anyway, Curt is off to work today, the ice is completely gone, we just have rain right now, and the temperatures have raised slightly. We are at 48 degrees, which is cold but not that bad. 
 
It is now almost 11:30 in the morning, so I'm going to make another cup of coffee and a cheese and ham sandwich for lunch.  Then back at the computer to reply to some emails, and work on the new menu plan for the next two weeks.
 
I got some new of home Fall recipe magazines, and there are tons of yummy meals in there I want to make.  I actually have a huge list that I wrote down when I first looked through the magazines.  
 
The rest of the day is just more homeschooling, oh and laundry, I'm busy with laundry as always.
 
I hope you all have a blessed Wednesday, stay safe and stay warm wherever you are.   
xoxoxoxo

1 comment:

Jean said...

The ice is beautiful in photographs but no fun for anyone who needs to get out. So glad your family was able to stay home and be safe. Sorry about your garden, reminds me I should go see what happened to my attempt at a fall green bean harvest. Wonder if the plants will bounce back as it warms up next week? Hope you have a wonderful day. Going to check out your recipe for rainy day donuts, sounds yummy!