Saturday, March 16, 2024

My week in review

IMG_5842

 
It's been a bit of a.....I don't even know how to put it week?  I've felt a bit unmotivated and frustrated with my new diet.  Let me say, that is completely normal, when you're used to eating a certain way, with no restraints, for almost 50 years, and then have to change dramatically, it takes a bit of getting used to.
 
For the most part I've been fine, but I won't lie and say that every day is great.  There are days that my rebellious body starts craving things I know I can't have, and then I feel miserable, and then  I'm frustrated, and then I'm hungry and frustrated and angry and miserable.  You get the picture.
 
I merely want to be completely honest here on the blog.  If you're on the same health journey that I am, you will no doubt understand the ups and downs.
 
It's often hard to get out of that slump, but I've pushed myself to do it, and I find that when I need to break out of a slump, I gravitate towards something that I really enjoy doing.  It lifts my mood and helps me feel better.
 
For me, it's been reading.  I have this crazy love and hate relationship with reading, not books in themselves, I adore books and am always buying booking even if they sit on my shelves for months waiting to be picked up again.  But the reading, I go through phases where I devour books and phases where I don't touch a single page.  Crazy!!!
 

IMG_5807

 
If you're stuck in a reading slump, the best advice I can give you from my own experience, is to get yourself some favorites, and create a little reading pile of maybe 4 or 5 books that you've been wanting to ready for a long time, then go from there.  

I am currently reading, and almost finished, with Trials of the Earth.  It reminds me a bit of my all time favorite book These is my Words by Nancy E. Turner, so I'm enjoying it.

Next on the list will probably be Anne of Green Gables, to welcome in Spring.
 
 
IMG_5826

IMG_5794

 
So this week I finished organizing and cleaning up the bookshelves, and have made a little pile to post on Paperbackswap (if you don't know what it is, and you love books, you need to check it out). I also grabbed one of my baskets to pop in a few books that will potentially be in my Spring reading list. We will see! 
 
 
IMG_5797

 
Crocheting has also kept me sane this week.  I don't think I've enjoyed crocheting a blanket as much as I'm enjoying this one.  Don't get me wrong, I love all my crochet blankets, and some were quite fun to make, but they did require a lot of stitch counting and pulling apart and redoing and sometimes, I felt like the project was never ending.

This one works up so quick and every section is a new design I have never done, plus I'm learning and getting better at reading and following a crochet chart.  It's just been a lovely experience all around.


IMG_5798

IMG_5799

IMG_5801

 
I've also been preparing for Spring in the garden, and inside.  My house plants are loving my bedroom windows, and so it's become an area for them to converge, and also a little nursery.  I recently purchased a Basil plant from the store, and I will tell you immediately that I have zero luck with keeping Basil alive in my house.  It just doesn't want to live, no matter what.

That is until I decided to put it on my bedroom windowsill, and wouldn't you know it, it is loving this spot.  It's ready to be planted in a bigger pot, and moved out to the patio with the rosemary and mint, which also were brought to my bedroom first to grow and thrive, before being moved to a bigger planter.

Guess that will be what I do from now on.  Whatever, if it works, it works right?
 

IMG_5802

IMG_5806

I've also gone through my current works in progress, to know exactly what I am working on.  The bag above was part of my Advent Calendar, and it contains all the projects that came with it.  I did post a bit on it back in December, so be sure to go back and see that if you're wondering what I got each day.

The bag itself makes me smile so big, it's beautiful, and I love the whole Woodland animal vibe.

Of course mixed in between all those fun things, is the continuous homemaking that a woman has to contend with, on a daily basis. 

IMG_5817

IMG_5820

A lot of washing, folding and ironing.  Good thing I love ironing and find it calming and relaxing, or I would have been in a bit of a pickle, and no doubt adding to my unmotivated, frustrating mood of a week.

I just pop in a movie and go for it. 

IMG_5828

IMG_5835

Last week's movies were Damsel from Netflix, which was just a sweet movie with dragons and princesses and such.  The kind of fantasy movie I always enjoy.

I also started watching (haven't yet finished) Roald and Beatrix: The Tale of the curious mouse.  Beatrix Potter and anything related just screams Spring to me, so that was a must.  

I am compiling a blog post with the Spring books I will be reading, and also suggestions for movies and tv shows to help welcome in the Spring season.  

IMG_5825

IMG_5824

IMG_5823

For now though, I am going to sign off, watch a homemaking vlog or two and then get started with yard work, because we are expecting quite heavy rain for the rest of the day.  It's best to get this all mowed and taken care of before the rain comes down, and grows it all back up another inch or two.

I hope you all have a blessed Saturday, and I'll see you back tomorrow with that Spring post.
 

2 comments:

Katerinas Blog said...

In your post Sandra I noticed how similar people are no matter where they live. As much as we housewives do the same things, I also like reading and ironing relaxes me. Have a nice week!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I very much relate to your comments on the diet frustrations. Kudos to you for sticking with it.I want to lose weight and have tried a couple that worked very well, but then gradually went back to my old ways.