Thursday, January 25, 2024

Let's chat!

2013_01240020
 
It is a rainy, cloudy, foggy morning here in North Texas.  Thankfully the temperatures have gone up a little so we're sitting at a balmy 43 degrees.  I'll take it!

Come on in and sit with me a little, we haven't chatted in a while and I feel like we need to catch up and have a cup of coffee or tea.

First of all, can you believe that we are practically at the end of January of 2024?  What even is that?  

So for the most part, I think that you all know the general gist of what has been happening around my home, I tend to share a little every Monday on my Happy Homemaker Monday.  If you're not following that weekly post, be sure to check it out, I think you may enjoy reading all the ladies contributions.

I guess I'll start with a update on my health.  I mentioned that I got my routine blood work results last week and that everything was fine, except for elevated Triglycerides.  I immediately went into work on what I ate.

I cut out all chips, candies, chocolate, pastries, cakes, juices and sodas, along with my coffee creamer.  I haven't had potatoes, I have switched to wholewheat pasta and rice, and I've upped my vegetables and salads.  I'm also having about 3 or 4 walnuts every day, as a snack.  The bread was the hardest for me because I love my bread, but I've also switched to wholewheat and only have 2 pieces of toast every few days.
 
 
  IMG_5579

I have also been exercising at least 20 minutes a day, mostly walking at home exercises, and I've also been staying busy at home.  

Ladies, nothing like a health scare to get your home organized real quick.  I have been in the kitchen all week, reorganizing every cabinet, for hours on end.  Hahahah

So far, I have lost 7 pounds, I have a ton more energy, I feel better, I feel lighter and I do not have crazy cravings for carbs and sugars like I did before.

It's just crazy how much your body is affected by what you feed it.  I am so happy and have thanked God for these blood test results, because they have me the kick start I needed to get back in shape and eat healthier food.
 
Now, I have a lot of pictures that I've snapped the past few days, so I'm just going to include them in this post, randomly as I think they're pretty self explanatory.
 

IMG_5550

IMG_5558

IMG_5556

 
I started our taxes which is something I just really dislike doing.  No matter how much they deduct, it seems they're never satisfied and we always owe, right? But that's life.  

I've also been watching some Netflix shows and movies, one of which Curt and I watched last night, and it was so good.  The Society of the Snow, which is based on a true story about the airplane crash in 1972, in Uruguay.  The survivors make it through 72 days which is incredible.  It's a wonderful movie but makes you think about what you would do in that situation, and what they had to do to survive the hunger and thirst. 
 
14 of the 16 survivors are still alive today and if you want to read a real account, Time has an article with an interview of one of the survivors, which is very interesting.
 

IMG_5559

IMG_5563

IMG_5566

IMG_5569

IMG_5570

The past week I have spent my days, cleaning, organizing and getting to some projects that need our attention around the house.  If you recall, we bought the house in 2019 and there is a lot that we want to change, but it doesn't depend on us, it depends on our finances and on God's timing.

I believe in letting things play out as they should, and as finances become available, we slowly get through the list.

One of the biggest makeovers will be our dining and den area which has the paneling.  I don't like paneling, it makes the room look very outdated and dark, and I've finally convinced my husband to either pull it down or paint it.  We are also going to stain the brick fireplace, a darker red.  Attach a wooden floating shelf to the mantle, remove the carpet and do wood floor, and add a barn door to the kitchen area.

Nothing is cheap, everything costs money, so it's a big project that will be done slowly, one thing at a time, until it is complete.  I for one can't wait to get in there and begin.

IMG_5580

IMG_5582

IMG_5583

IMG_5592

IMG_5568


I have also been feeling the crochet bug again and I am so happy to say that.  I've missed crocheting but I think that a hobby has to be something that you enjoy, and if you're not feeling it, there's no sense in pushing through it.
 
The truth is that the past 3 or so years, I just haven't had the want to crochet.  I have a lot of unfinished projects, a lot of yarn, but not the motivation, however it's suddenly creeping up inside me again.  I've started by bookmarking a few blankets I want to make, and have been eyeing out my yarn stash to see what I have that could turn into a beautiful crochet work.
 
It may just take off this weekend, who knows.  
 
I am just enjoying this new stage of my life.  I've slowed down a lot, I am no longer running around, constantly busy, constantly saying yes to people and commitments.  Just taking my time, taking my days as they come and loving every minute of being a homemaker.
 
The love I have for my home and for making a cozy warm place for my family to retire home to, after a long day at work, has never left me, but it did get squashed down a bit.  These days I find myself constantly cleaning, organizing, thinking and planning and really trying to get back to that place of a happy homemaker.
 
I believe I'm almost back there.  Maybe that's why the crochet has stirred up within my soul. Maybe that's why I've suddenly also started getting back to watching period dramas and interesting movies and documentaries.

I do still watch my Turkish shows, but definitely not as much as I did last year, those have taken a bit of a backseat for the moment.

Yesterday I also returned to Facebook, with the intention of downloading all my photos and videos, but Facebook has made it so difficult for us to download our own property.  I've had to send a request, and now I'm waiting for THEM to email me a link for me to be allowed to download MY photos.  Does that make any sense?

But while waiting, I said a quick hello and had so many old friends pop in.  I've stayed in touch with many of you through Instagram but there are some that never left Facebook, so I've missed out on their lives.  It's been wonderful reconnecting.

Am I returning for good to Facebook?  I don't think so, my opinion on that website has not changed but I may stick around and pop in every now and then, just chat with old friends.

Anyway, that's basically what has been going on around here.  I know it's been a very long while, since I did a sit down post.  All I've kept up are the Happy Homemaker Mondays and though I love them, and they keep at least some nuance of the old blog going, it's not what I want my blog to consist of.  I'm going to once again give daily posting a chance.  Let's see how it goes.

Well friends, my cup of coffee has but a sip left, and it's no doubt freezing cold, so I'm going to end this post.  Thank you for sitting with me and chatting.  I will be back soon.

Have a blessed Thursday!

1 comment:

Jean said...

Loved seeing all your wonderful photos in this post and hearing a bit more in detail about how things have been going for you.Funny you mentioned taxes, I actually popped over here while taking a break from working on our stuff. Oh, I have so many old photos on Facebook, I'll have to look into getting them off there. At one time, it was fairly simple to download them to a site like Snapfish...not anymore? Hope you have a wonderful weekend!