Monday, January 22, 2024

Happy Homemaker Monday - 01/22/2024


Good morning from a very cold and icy Texas.  
 
There is a thin sheet of ice covering everything outside, and though it looks quite pretty, it's not very safe to drive on.  Giving thanks to God that I don't need to go out this week, but if you're out there, please be careful.
 
I hope you've all had a restful, relaxing weekend, and I wish you a blessed and productive week ahead.  
 
 
 
 *** The Weather *** 
We've been in a winter warning with icy rain and very cold temps.  It's supposed to end by noon today, but the rain will continue on and off throughout the week. 
 
Monday - Showers, 41
Tuesday - Rain, 46
Wednesday - Showers, 50
Thursday - Partly cloudy, 60
Friday- Showers, 60
Saturday - Am showers, 52
Sunday - Sunny, 56 
 
 
*** Right now I am *** 
Sitting in bed and working on this post.  I have Julie Green Ministries on the TV, and Kaia and Elliott are both fast asleep next to me.  
 
 
*** Thinking and pondering *** 
I got my routine blood work results last week.  Everything is fine, but my Triglycerides are slightly elevated.  I have to return in 3 months to do the blood test again to see what the levels are at.  
 
In the meantime, I have to cut all junk food, all sugary stuff, cut back on carbs and increase my exercise.  Although I knew this was something that could show up (it is genetic and runs in my family, high triglycerides, high cholesterol, diabetes), I was a little taken back.  You guys know how much I love food and cooking, so this is a challenge.  However, I am turning 50 this year, and I've been wanting to get healthier, so this was the push I needed.  Since Wednesday, I have cut all sugary treats, and have also cut out white bread, white pasta, rice and potatoes.  I've upped my veggies and protein, upped my exercise, and I've so far lost 5 pounds.  It's not easy, but it's doable and I am determined to drop those triglycerides levels and get healthier.  
 
If any of you deal with this too, and have any advice on what to eat and what not to eat etc., please leave it down in the comments.  I would really appreciate it :)
 
 
*** How I am feeling ***
Aside from being cold, I'm doing surprisingly well.  I've stopped having cravings for carbs and sugar, I've lost weight, I have more energy.  Amazing how the bad food affects you without you even noticing.  
 
 
*** On the breakfast plate *** 
I've just had a cup of coffee.  I've cut out creamer, so just been using a sprinkle of either pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, and some 2% milk. 
 
 
*** On the lunch plate *** 
Steamed Broccoli, Tuna, diced onion and tomato with a drizzle of olive oil.  
 
 
*** On the dinner plate ***
Baked Fish Fillets with tomato, onion and peppers, served with wholewheat rice and a Brussel sprouts salad.  
 
 
*** On the menu *** 
I have to change the way I eat, and I told my family I would continue cooking the same way, but change things slightly.  They have all jumped in with me and said they will eat whatever I make.  So basically, there will be meals I make that will remain the same, and where they eat the carbs, I will opt for the salad and veggies along with the meat.  Some meals, I will make using wholewheat pasta or rice, and they will eat that as well.   

With that in mind, I am changing the way I show you my menu, just slightly, to include breakfast and lunch.  It is a way for me to keep track as well of what I am eating.
 
Monday
Breakfast - 2 egg spinach omelet
Lunch - Steamed Broccoli, Tuna, diced tomato and onion with a drizzle of olive oil
Dinner - Baked Fish Fillets with tomato, onion and peppers, wholewheat rice, Brussel sprouts salad  
Tuesday 
Breakfast - Oatmeal with cinnamon and a drizzle of honey
Lunch - Chicken, Bean and Kale soup
Dinner - Turkey Meatball Subs (I will do lettuce wraps instead of the buns)  
Wednesday 
Breakfast - Egg Veggie Bites
Lunch - Wholewheat Toast with Avocado, salt and pepper
Dinner - Chicken a la King, Couscous, Salad 
Thursday 
Breakfast - Greek Yogurt with blueberries, chia seeds and walnuts
Lunch - Leftover salad from dinner
Dinner - Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats, Broccoli
Friday 
Breakfast - Egg Veggie Bites
Lunch - Chickpea Salmon salad, onion, tomato, garlic, cilantro and parsley and little drizzle of olive oil
Dinner - Upside Down Pizza (Cauliflower Veggie Pizza for me)
Saturday 
Breakfast - Wholewheat toast
Lunch - Spicy Chicken Sandwich (lettuce wrap instead of bun, for me)
Dinner - Roast Pork, Mashed Potatoes, Spinach Salad (I will eat this meal, but will have a boiled potato instead)
Sunday 
Breakfast - Oatmeal
Lunch - Chicken Salad
Dinner - Cheesy Beef Mexican Rice, Roasted Brussel sprouts
 
 
*** What I am wearing *** 
Still in my pajamas. 
 
 
*** On my reading pile *** 
The Tale of Hilltop Farm by Susan Wittig Albert 
 
 
*** On my TV this week ***
Youtube - Brazilian and Portuguese Homemaking Vlogs  
Turkish shows - Hudutsuz Sevda  
Netflix - All the light we cannot see
Period dramas
 
 
*** Looking around the house *** 
Both Kaia and Elliott are shedding, so there's a constant need to vacuum around here.  The house itself is cozy and warm, we've kept the fire going for 5 days now.  There's just something about a fire going, low lights, and a warmth that just makes a home so inviting. 
 
 
 *** To do list *** 
I have some laundry to iron
Exercise
Clean around fireplace, all the ashes 
Take photos for a blog post 
 
 
*** From the camera *** 
I love winter, not so much the ice, but winter itself.  It's magical and creepy and wonderful, all packaged into one.  
 
 
 
 *** Devotional, Prayers, Bible Verses *** 
Our church has been talking about the importance of fasting in our lives, as Christians.  I have only very recently started fasting once in a while, but it definitely does help get closer to God.  
 
Do you fast? 


12 comments:

Stacy said...

Thank you so much for hosting! I loved your menu, thank you for sharing! I cut carbs almost completely last October and since then I'm down about 14 lbs. The holiday seasons were tough, and I failed some which is probably why I'm not down more. It's been HARD. I have also been checking my blood sugar to see what caused spikes, other than carbs. I was surprised to find that milk does, as well as some snacks I didn't think, like cashews. It's strange but good to learn more about your body. Cheese doesn't have much affect on blood sugar, so if I'm hungry I'll cut a piece of sharp cheddar. I try not to snack as much, and if I do try to go for carrots or cucumbers. It's been a HUGE adjustment, but I've grown fond of unsweet tea! Its a total lifestyle change, but I'm with you, I feel SO much better.
I hope you have a nice week and that your weather is more tolerable!

Victoria said...

sounds like you’re off to a great start!! As Mary Poppins says, “well begun is half done!!”

Jodi said...

Hi Sandra! Its been a while, but I think I am back again... lol. I need to start making some changes in our diets as well. Got to get on a better health route for the hubs and I. Stay safe with all the icy conditions!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I have to keep our menu low carb/sugar free as possible. My husband is diabetic. It helps me cut my calories too, so it's a win-win.

Rooted Gramma said...

I have had high triglycerides for many years, and am now diabetic. I was taking Niacin but I had a bad reaction to it. Now I take Omega3 capsules daily, and watch my diet of course. I was eating ground flax seeds in yoguart and that helped too. I also take a statin daily. Mostly now I watch my sugar intake, but it is difficult because I LOVE sweets!

Jean said...

So glad your family is being so supportive of your lifestyle changes. Sounds like your off to a great start. Hope you stay safe and warm in this icy weather (we have it as well) and have a wonderful week!

Deanna said...

Health issues seem to be ongoing with us as well. The latest info that I can share is that being deficient in vitamins causes huge health challenges that the main stream docs avoid talking about. You may be prescribed Vitamin D3 without Vitamin K2 for a Vit. D deficiency which is a no-no. Vit. D alone does a number on the arteries which causes more health issues. Taking it with Vit. K2 is needed to make sure the bones absorb the D instead of the arteries. All the best to you. I am type 2 diabetic now and I am managing it with vitamins and supplements that are good for lowering high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. Good ole Apple Cider vinegar tablets, Ceylon Cinnamon and Berberine are all fantastic for what ails you with high blood glucose. God bless and keep the faith.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I hope you stay safe with that crazy weather too! So weird because I never pictured anyone worrying about that stuff living in TX. I'm with you on the health front to my Sister! I have my wedding this year which is motivating me greatly to want to look and feel better. Definitely adopting a lifestyle change - not a moment. So living in reality I know I'm going to cook and bake and want treats. So we let ourselves indulge a bit more on the weekends - but during the week (even if going out to eat with friends or something) we choose smarter choices. And we cut down on potato side dishes, carb and sugar fully during the week. Getting regular exercise, upping our water etc. You got this Lady! Blessings on your week. xo

Mrs.T said...

Your menus even though they are different to you sound very good. Good for your family jumping on board with you! We tend to eat low-carb (me more than my husband) and very little sugar. We are eating more meat, butter, cheese and eggs and low=carb vegetables. I've had a lot of success substituting turnips for potatoes in some recipes, and using cauliflower rice. We've been doing this, along with intermittent fasting, for over a year and we have both lost weight and feel better in general. I do miss bread but only have it very occasionally.

Aritha V. said...

Thank you for hosting Sandra.I am so glad you are doing surprisingly well. Lieve groet van mij uit Nederland.

threesidesofcrazy said...

Stay warm and away from the icy conditions the best you can.

As for tips for cutting out the sugars etc... you know I've had my challenges also with these things and the best advice I can give you is to NOT go cold turkey. I can't tolerate the sugars, pastas, rices and potatoes either, BUT ABSOLUTELY LOVE them. So I up the veggies, but keep small and I mean miniscule amounts of pastas and potatoes just for the flavor and tiny taste that makes me feel satisfied. For example, I make a sheet pan chicken with carrots, asparagus, green beans and onions with a couple (2-3 for me) of fingerling potatoes thrown in. Or when I make spaghetti and meatballs, I eat mine over green beans with a strand or two of spaghetti while hubby has lots of spaghetti...

I hope you have a wonderful and productive week.

Luludou said...

Stay safe on the ice. Our posts were both about test results for things that run in the family this week! I have to cut down on all kinds of things too and up the exercise.
Have a great week