Friday, July 16, 2021

{ Faith and Food Friday #2 }


 
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Matthew 11:28 
 
 
The past two weeks have been so difficult.  After Marley's diagnosis of  Lymphoma, Curt and I have been living almost holding our breath, not knowing if or when he is leaving us.  Trying our best to keep him comfortable, all the while trying to keep ourselves busy so as not to fret about the situation.
 
I've thanked God innumerous times for giving us more time with him, for taking care of him, for making sure he is here and not in pain.

But to reconcile my mind with what is happening, I've had to change the way I think.

I was holding my breath constantly.  

Each time I looked into his eyes, I broke down into tears.  He looks fine, but inside he has this horrible disease killing him.  How can this be?  Why?  He doesn't deserve it, he is only 4 years old.

Why and why and why!

Those whys wreaked havoc on my mind.  It was almost overwhelming at times.  But as we've navigated this diagnosis, I've leaned more into God.  More into His word, more into His promises, and my heart has softened, my worries have fled and my joy has returned.

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." - 1 Peter 5:7

1 Peter 5:7 is my favorite verse of the Bible.  It's always been one I've looked to in times of trouble.  But let's be honest, it's easier said than done, right?

It seems so simple, just a small statement to cast all our cares on God, because He cares for us.  He will take all our troubles and worries and fears, and He will carry them through, while we just let go and embrace joy and each day.

If it only were that easy, at least for me, I struggle with that concept, always have and I probably always will.  Though truth be told, I hope not.

So what are you carrying in your heart today that you need to let go of, cast to God, put in His hands?

Bang Bang Chicken Kabobs

Bang Bang Chicken Kabobs 
 
 
 
Ingredients 
Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tbsp mayonnaise
4 tbsp sour cream 
1 tsp mustard 
1/3 cup sweet chili sauce 
1/2 tsp sriracha 
1 tsp honey 
Wooden skewers
 
 
 
Instructions 
Soak the wooden skewers for at least 10 minutes, to prevent burning.
 
In a big bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, sweet chili sauce, sriracha and honey.  
Add the chicken cubes, and stir well to combine.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about an hour.  
 
Add the chicken pieces to the wooden skewers.  Preheat your grill, make sure to brush on some oil on the grates so the chicken won't stick.  
 
Cook about 5 or 6 minutes on each side, until cooked through.  
 
Drizzle on any remaining sauce over the chicken, and serve immediately. 
 
 
Recipe adapted from:  4 Sons 'R' Us


3 comments:

threesidesofcrazy said...

I'm still keeping all of you in my heart and prayers. It is so difficult for a fur child especially when they can't express themself to you or truly understand that what they are going through treatment wuse is meant to make them better. All you can do is comfort them and be their rock. I'm glad he's responding and seeming to feel better. Stay positive. I did Hawaiian Chicken for today which pairs well with your Bang Bang Chicken Kabobs. http://chasingmylife.com/2021/07/16/hawaiian-chicken/

Lisa K Thomasson Jung said...

You are both in our prayers. Fur babies are a big part of our lives and always hurts to love one.

Carol said...

So truly sorry to hear of Marley's diagnosis. I can't imagine the pain that you are in , but God is with you and will be the entire time.