Monday, November 09, 2015

Water on the Moon - TLC Book Tour


Paperback: 244 pages
Publisher: She Writes Press (June 3, 2014)

Acclaimed Debut Novel, Winner of the 2015 Independent Publishers Book Award for Contemporary Fiction

When her husband comes out as gay and an airplane crash inexplicably destroys her home, the mother of teenage twin daughters must rethink everything she knows.


In her debut novel Water on the Moon, Jean P. Moore introduces readers to Lidia Raven, whose life begins taking seemingly endless wrong turns. Lidia and her girls miraculously survive the plane crash that destroys their home and are taken in by Lidia’s friend Polly, a neighbor with a robust collection of first-edition books who lives alone on a sprawling estate.

Struggling to cope with each of these life-changing events, Lidia discovers a connection between herself and Tina Calderara, the pilot who crashed into her home. In the months that follow, Lidia plunges into a mystery that upends every aspect of her life.

Rife with age-old dilemmas, this contemporary novel explores the relationships between mothers and daughters and the trials and triumphs of women’s friendships. As Lidia learns to reconcile her pain with her need to be true to herself and to accept that need in others, she discovers that while life has the power to unhinge her, it also has the power to open her to new ways of being in the world.

*********************************************


Connect with Jean

Jean P. Moore began her professional life as an English teacher, later becoming a telecommunications executive. She and her husband, Steve, and Sly, their black Lab, divide their time between Greenwich, Connecticut and the Berkshires in Massachusetts, where Jean teaches yoga in the summers.

Her work has appeared in newspapers, magazines, and literary journals such as upstreet, SN Review, Adanna, Distillery, Skirt, Long Island Woman, the Hartford Courant, Greenwich Time, and the Philadelphia Inquirer. Water on the Moon was published in June of 2014 and won the 2015 Independent Publishers Book Award for Contemporary Fiction.

*********************************************

My Thoughts:

I have to be completely honest, and I just don't know that this story appealed to me.  It was well written, it was interesting but I always felt like something was missing, like I wasn't completely gelling with the characters or the story, or the plot, or something.  I can't quite put my finger on it.

Lidia's husband recently left her for another man, and just when she thinks that her life can't get any worse, a plane crashes into the home she shares with her twin teenage daughters. 

In the aftermath of what seems like never ending bad incidents in her life, Lidia finds the silver lining and learns to look at life in a different way.

I know it makes no sense for me to give you this short blurb because in all actuality it sounds like the makings of a phenomenal story, but while it was ok for me, it wasn't something that kept my attention.  It might be that it's just not the right story for me at this point in my life and I know that sometimes when we're having certain things happening around us it can influence the way we enjoy everything around us.  Maybe it's that, I don't know.

I do think the author did a brilliant job of pulling in all these characters and weaving a story of grief, heartache and overcoming obstacles.



Thank you to TLC Book Tours for providing me with a review copy.

1 comment:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

Thanks for being a part of the tour.