Tuesday, January 10, 2017

{ Top Shows to binge watch on Netflix }


We've all done it, sat up until the wee hours of the morning on the premise of just "one more episode", and then another and then another and before you know it you've binge watched a whole season.

But what exactly are we watching and which are those shows that you can't just watch one of?

I thought it would be fun to tell you all about my top shows to binge watch on Netflix.  It might be that you watch the same I do, or it might be that you find a new favorite.

Whichever the case, if you haven't yet watched these, you need to be adding them to your list.

When it comes to watching TV, I have a top favorite genre, which I'm sure you all already know.  Period Dramas.

But, I also love Sci Fi, I love Drama, I love a good Psychological Thriller and some Family shows etc.  So I'm going to share with you my list of those shows that I could not stop watching, the ones I binged on and didn't rest until the very last episode was watched, and all because I had to know what came next.



#1 -  FRINGE

People, you don't understand.  When I came across Fringe a few years ago, while still stationed in Arizona, I watched the whole 5 Seasons in 3 days.  I slept, ate, breathed Fringe.  I had it on my laptop and everywhere I went, it followed.  I cooked dinner while watching, I ironed, I did laundry, I cleaned, I homeschooled, I crocheted, I took it to bed.  Many countless sleepless nights, but by golly I was going to watch it all.  Fantastic show, and if you love Sci Fi and haven't yet watched this one, you have no idea what you're missing.



#2 - THE TUDORS

What can I say, for a history obsessed fan like I am, this was the ultimate in ultimate series to watch.  And can we just take a moment to appreciate the beauty that is Jonathan Rhys Meyers???  Good grief.
This show had it all, and I could not stop watching, matter of fact I may very well rewatch it all again, it was that good.




#3 - THE BORGIAS

This was my guilty pleasure and it was one of those that I couldn't stop binge watching either.  It is absolutely fantastic, the costumes, the settings, the storyline, even though I felt super dirty for loving the two main characters together seeing as they were siblings.  Yeah I know, so if you can't get past that little fact, you may not want to watch this show, but for me, it ranks right up there with some of the very best. 



#4 - ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK

Everyone and their mother was talking about this show.  At first I wasn't sure it would be something I would enjoy, I don't think I need to explain why because if you know anything about the show you will know what I'm talking about.  I put off watching as long as I could, and then I gave in, and then I sat on my couch for 2 days and every free moment I had, I was watching and loving it.  It quickly became another top show in my list. 



#5 - STRANGER THINGS

So this was another one that everyone on social media was talking about, last year.  It is such a good show, it makes you feel like you're back in the 80's, which by the way were my favorite years EVER.  It's got all the elements of an interesting binge watching series.  It's very Sci Fi, crazy things happening, suspense, but it really does have the feel of an 80's show which for me was I guess one of the best parts of it.  Hubby and I binge watched this one together.



#6 - MAKING A MURDERER

 So another well worth the binge watching.  And another that everyone and their mother was talking about.  This show had me glued from the very first few minutes and I couldn't stop watching, because I needed to know what happened next and how it all ended.  If you are into documentaries, police, killers, justice system and what happens in a murder investigation, then you need to add this one to your list.



#7 - CALL THE MIDWIFE

This right here falls into my favorite genre.  It's such a beautiful, fantastic show bringing to the forefront the midwives in England, the births, the complications, human element at it's best.  I did follow along as it aired on live TV in the UK, but if you've never watched a single episode, then it's one you'll be binge watching on Netflix, for sure.



#8 - THE FALL

If you enjoy Psychological Thrillers, then you have to watch The Fall.  We follow the story of the female detective working the case of a serial killer, and the serial killer himself who is this family man, hiding in plain sight.  Really good show.



#9 - THE LAST KINGDOM

Saxons, period drama, historical, beautiful scenery and costumes.  My kind of show all wrapped up in one gorgeous package.  There is one season available on Netflix and I believe the second season is being filmed. 



#10 - WHEN CALLS THE HEART

Because you knew I had to mention this one.  I don't think there's much I can say about it, other than if you loved all the Love Comes Softly movies and books, this one is very much along those lines for me.  I couldn't stop watching, it's everything a period drama should be and more. 




#11 - THE CROWN

 One of the very best shows of 2016.  I've always been fascinated by the Royals, by England and by it's history, so this one compiled all of those in one single amazing, truly binge worthy show. 



And now for those older shows, the ones we kind of grew up watching, the ones you catch every singe rerun of on TV.  These are some of my absolute favorites.  Some we own on DVD and binge watched, some are on Netflix, others you can catch on TV still to this day.

Here they are:



#1 - STARGATE SG1, STARGATE ATLANTIS, STARGATE UNIVERSE

We love this series so much.  We actually own every single season for every single series and we've binge watched them many times.  I never get tired of the Stargate series.  For those Sci Fi fans out there, if you've never come across any of the Stargates, you are missing some of the best Sci Fi work out there.  Truly!!!



#2 - EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND

I can't even begin to tell you how I adore this show.  I own every season, every stand alone episode, everything.  AND I watch it every single night on the TV Land channel when I head to bed.  Curt and I love this show so much, it is one of those classic family comedies that has us in stitches every time.


#3 - BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER

Show of hands those of us who were totally in love with Buffy and Angel??  Or even Buffy and Spike?? 
I didn't watch this show until about 5 years ago, when my sister in law kept talking about it to me and how she and my brother had binged the entire 7 seasons.  She kept telling me to watch it and I kept putting it off, and then one day I had nothing to watch and decided to give it a go. 
People.......I was up at 4am trying to watch just one more episode.  I can't even tell you how long it took, I think about a week or two for me, but I binged the 7 seasons in one go and was heartbroken when it ended.  I tried watching Angel but it wasn't the same for me.



# 4 - FULLER HOUSE

Ok I put Fuller House here, not because it's old but it IS connected to an old show that we all grew up watching, Full House.  When this one dropped on Netflix, I think half of America stopped in their tracks and watched it all.  I know I was one of those people.  It's such a feel good, family, cute show that I had to add it to this list. 


And that my friends, are my top picks for binge worthy shows on Netflix.  I hope you enjoyed this post, I hope it gave you some good ideas and if nothing else, made you remember some of your very own favorites.

Tell me do you binge watch certain shows as well, which ones have been your favorites?

14 comments:

Pamela said...

You have some of my favorites on this list - The Tudors, Call the Midwife, When Calls the Heart. I'm saving The Crown for my husband's first business trip - when he's gone, I can stay up all night because I know I'm going to watch every episode, one after the other! My binge watch favorites include Rosemary & Thyme, Midsomer Murders, and Cedar Cove.

Jean said...

Fringe is my absolute all-time favorite show! Sadly, Netflix took it off its menu in the late fall. Fuller House is a good one as well. My husband and I are thinking of watching The Crown. I might add if you happen to have Amazon Prime, be sure to check out Man In The High Castle! My husband watched it twice so we could watch it together and I may go and watch it again just to see things I might have missed. It is slightly reminiscent of Fringe except with a completely different subject matter. If you have any super hero fans around, the CW shows on Netflix are worth a watch, Arrow, The Flash, and DC Legends of Tomorrow (the last one has a fun, campy feel to it).

Sew Very Me said...

I guess I will be spending more time in my sewing room now. Thanks for the list. Some of my favourites are on here, but some new ones that I'd love to try.

Row. said...

Great List...My Favorite was The Crown and also Stranger things.

Gail said...

Broadchurch... made myself only watch when I was doing cardio at the gym. I never did so much in that week! :)
Also Doctor Foster, Happy Valley, Marcella. I love a good mystery that doesn't resolve itself in one hour. Happy Watching!

Thank you so much for continuing your blog... I really do love it!

Heather said...

I binged on When Calls The Heart. I am dying for them to bring out a new release! The Crown is at the top of my list to try soon. :)

Melissa The Geek said...

I have watched numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 & started #8. I'm gonna check out the other shows listed, since we have similar taste ;)

Mari said...

Thanks for the list! I love Call the Midwife and want to start watching The Crown.

Anne in the kitchen said...

I just finished watching TheTravelers and thought is was a lot of fun to watch. If I had realized it was just released in December I would have waited a bit before beginning it because now I have to wait a year for the next season.

Kbrown said...

I enjoyed binge watching The Crown, but my real guilty pleasure is Longmire, about a Wyoming sheriff Walt Longmire (Robert Taylor) and the cases he solves with his deputies Ferg & Victoria (the actress was in Battlestar Gallactica) his friend a Cheyenne named Henry Standing Bear ( Lou Diamond Phillips) & others who are performed by an outstanding ensemble cast.

Dawn Marie said...

The shows I binged watched on Netflix was Parenthood (I didn't see that while it was on), Fuller House and The Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life. I was thinking of checking out Orange is The New Black. My friends love the show. The new show I am into is This Is Us. My husband doesn't like it so I usually watch it the day after it's aired on Hulu. I have both Netflix and Hulu.

Dawn Marie said...

Oh, and I have to add I LOVE Everybody Loves Raymond. I hate to admit it but Frank and Marie remind me of my grandparents. My dad's starting to act like Frank too but he doesn't see it. It also takes place on Long Island where I was born and raised until the age of 14. That is definitely one of my faves.

Ravenna said...

I loved Fringe, until the last season. :/ Tell me it is worth finishing, please! :)

Unknown said...

Hey! This is awesome. I have saved the list and I am planning to share it with all my friends. We are crazy about series on Netflix and this is a treasure. Thanks a ton for sharing this wonderful post here. I would also like to add series by Andy Yeatman to it if you really want kids to enjoy and grow well.