The heat is blistering outside, and inside the air conditioning is struggling to keep up. It is a daily fight between the two extremes and we are in the middle of this battle, just hoping it lets up. Honestly, I am hoping the heat is the one to let go and leave.
Mornings are bearable, afternoons are horrid, making me stay indoors as much as possible. I remember when I was younger, the minute the summer would come around I wanted to be outdoors in the sun, having fun, playing, enjoying life and soaking up the warmth. I always had a nice tan going. This year, and actually the past few years? I don't really care about any of that.
The heat comes up and this lady hides indoors, forget about tanning, being outside, nope, none of that. Maybe I really am getting old!
I spent a homey day, meaning, just pottering around. It's actually funny that anytime family comes by, they tend to say the same thing "Oh....you've changed things. AGAIN!". LOL
Yes, I have and next time they come by it will probably be different once again. I don't know about you, but I love changing rooms, moving things from room to room and trying to decorate here and there.
I am no expert, my home is kind of a mix of what I love and what I feel represents me and my feelings. Funny enough though, anytime my family or even AI describes my home, the same terms come up "cozy, country, lodge, farmhouse". I didn't even know I was achieving all that without even thinking, I guess our way of being really does project itself in our homes.
I worked on my dining room. it is a work in progress, and never seems to be finished or to my liking, so I'm constantly moving and shifting things around. I had a huge bookshelf in my hallway that I moved into the dining area, and it fit perfectly between the two black bookshelves.
You know one thing I have realized over the years? I am not into minimalism. It was all the rage, people getting rid of things, de cluttering, living in spaces that had bare essentials. I thought at first that it might be a good idea, but the more I looked into it and the more I debated hopping on that train, the more I realized that I much prefer rooms that hold all sorts of treasures and knick knacks.
I want to walk into a room and feel at home, feel like I'm being hugged, like I want to sit with a cup of tea or coffee and just relax. Maybe it's just me and my constant need to go against the grain. I'm the girl that if everyone is into something, I immediately hate it. If the whole world says yellow is the new color, I will hate yellow and go for a different color altogether. If everyone is doing viral food or drinks, I want nothing to do with it.
I don't know why I am like this, but I tend to march to the beat of my own drums. Hence why my home is lived in, filled with coziness and warmth and lived in spaces.
After tackling those rooms, I sat down to start working on the new meal plan. I have so many wonderful cookbooks that often sit collecting dust because I don't even touch them. I stopped using most of them when I switched to healthy eating, though truth be told, I have not been very good at healthy eating the past two months.
The carbs I was avoiding, have been consumed. The sweets? Have been consumed. I need to get a hold of my nutrition again and get back on track, but that doesn't mean that I can't still use my cookbooks. It's just a matter of adapting certain recipes to my needs. Just because I make carbs for my boys doesn't mean I have to eat them, right?
So at the moment I am juggling going back to healthy, but also going back to making use of all my wonderful cookbooks.
Definitely a work in progress. We will get there though. My mind is also starting to shift to Fall and I am fighting myself not to grab any decorations yet. It's a battle I tell you. We're still in the throes of summer yet my brain is saying "let's fight the heat with some Fall decorations, just a little pumpkin here and there."
So far, I have managed to keep these thoughts at bay, though I am very very tempted.
And so life goes on. The usual hum drums of homemaking, sprinkled in with some decorating and painting here and there, lots of book reading, copious amounts of coffee, a cheeky naughty chocolate thrown here and there, and some enjoyable television watching.
Oh and for some reason I have had this idea going on around my mind, about having an old fashioned 80's kind of Christmas this year. I want to go back to the basics, to the best years for the holidays. Again I think that combative go against the grain girl, is rearing her head.
I just don't want to have a modern holiday like we do each year. I find that the meaning of Christmas, and the spirit, and the whole vibe is so different nowadays. So yes, that is going around in my mind and I'm already collecting ideas to see how I can recreate it. Wish me luck!











1 comment:
I am hoping to do more homey stuff this year too. I am looking forward to the grands both being in school and my days are a bit freer.
Post a Comment