Monday, March 08, 2010

Happy Homemaker Monday!

hhm



The weather in my neck of the woods:
Rain and more rain, I am telling you, I have NEVER seen this much rain in Arizona. It's creepy LOL


One of my simple pleasures:
Woodworking, I love spending time with my husband and creating wonderful pieces for our home.


On my bedside table:
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Darcy's Story

On my TV:
Lark Rise to Candleford Season 3
Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee


On the menu for tonight:
Orange Chicken


On my To Do List:
Laundry
Sweep and Mop
Make more bowl fillers


New Recipe I tried last week:

Quick yellow cake and Chocolate Frosting


In the craft basket:
Stars, hearts and stitchery. My decorating style is primitive, colonial, early american and I have tons of projects going right now.


Looking forward to:
Right now? A big cup of hot coffee.


Homemaking Tip for this week:
Align CenterWondering what foods freeze well, and which don't? Here's a quick list:

DON'T FREEZE WELL:

--Greasy foods (they just become greasier)
--Cake icings made with egg whites
--Cream fillings and soft frostings
--Pies made with custard or cream fillings
--Fried foods (they tend to lose their crispness and become soggy)
--Fruit jelly on sandwiches may soak into the bread
--Soft cheese, such as cream cheese (can become watery)
--Mayonnaise (it separates; use salad dressing instead)
--Sour cream (it becomes thin and watery)
--Potatoes cooked in soups and stews (they become mushy and may darken. If using potatoes, cook until barely soft and still firm; then freeze quickly.)

CHANGE DURING FREEZING:

--Gravies and other fat-based sauces may separate and need to be recombined by stirring or processing in the blender
--Thickened sauces may need thinning after freezing; thin with broth or milk
--Seasonings such as onions, herbs and flavorings used in recipes can change during freezing. These are best added during reheating to obtain accurate flavors
--Vegetables, pastas and grains used in cooked recipes usually are softer after freezing and reheating (undercook before freezing, or add when dish is reheated)
--Heavy cream can be frozen if used for cooking, but will not whip
--Some yogurts may suffer texture changes
--Raw vegetables lose their crispness, but can be used for cooking, stews, etc.
--Many cheeses change texture in the freezer. Most hard cheeses turn crumbly (which makes them okay for grating, but not for slicing)


Favorite Blog Post of the week (mine or other):
Didn't get around to any blogs last week, I know I keep saying that but UGH, it's frustrating not having time to read anything. I'm hoping to remedy that this morning.


Favorite photo from last week:


2010_03060002


Lesson learned the past few days:
That google is my best friend and that I wish women in the early days had it at their fingertips too LOL


On my Prayer List:
Mari's daughter Heather
Friends and Family


Devotionals, Scripture Reading, Key Verses:
Where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
James 3:16


6 comments:

Jen said...

I think the reason women back in the 1800's and before had a lot of friends was because they didn't have google! :-)

I love the new look of your blog. Have a great day.

Mary said...

Thanks for the homemaking tip about freezing foods. I have always wondered what the rules were freezing. :) Hope the rain clears up!

Keeper of the Home said...

Well, I'm finally getting back into joining this meme. I really like it but I have had a serious case of laziness. *grin*

So enjoyed the homemaking tip. This is certainly one to print out and hang on the icebox.

~Mrs. M

Keeper of the Home said...

Ok...I guess I need to make sure I READ the stored link that mr. linky has on the system. The link it put on my HHM was for LAST YEAR!!! UUGGHH!!! I didn't pay attention to it but I have added a corrected link to TODAY'S post. **Geeessshhh* Do I feel dumb or what!?! LOL

~Mrs. M

Heart2Heart said...

Sandra,

I see that we are both reading the very same books. I just finished Mother-Daughter Duet and Dancing with My Father as well as Raven's Ladder and Lady Carliss. All excellent reads.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

kortney said...

This is awesome. I'm so participating...just a couple days late!