Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Exceptionals by Erin Cashman - TLC Book Tour


In a famous family of exceptionally talented people, fifteen-year-old Claire Walker is ordinary . . . or so she leads everyone to believe. Yet the minute she steps out of line, her parents transfer her to Cambial Academy: the prestigious boarding school that her great-grandfather founded for students with supernatural abilities, or “specials”. Although Claire can’t see ghosts or move objects with her mind like the other students, she does have a special she considers too lame to admit: she can hear the thoughts of animals.

Just as she is settling in, one by one the most talented students – the Exceptionals – go missing. In an attempt to find out what happened to them, Claire uncovers a dark prophecy involving a plot to destroy Cambial and a mysterious girl who can communicate with a hawk. Could she be that girl? Does the gorgeous but secretive boy she meets in the woods know more than he is letting on? After years of ignoring her special gift, Claire decides the time has come to embrace her ability . . . before it’s too late.

******************************

Now this was another fun read for me.

Though I do admit to liking supernatural shows, movies and books, it's not the only reason that this book appealed to me, or rather, I shouldn't say that is the only reason I liked it.

I think the book as itself, is a great read, it's a fun story, it's one of those that you start off not quite sure what to expect and within a few pages are completely immersed into the setting, the feel, the atmosphere and the characters. 

It's almost like you completely block out everything around you and become one with the book.

As a Yound Adult Fiction, I think this one rates right up there with some of the most popular, it features a young heroine, a strong willed girl but yet vulnerable.

I like that her talent and ability has to do with animals, with understanding them, with reading their thoughts, I guess you could call her an animal whisperer of sorts.  It's not much focused on ghosts, or magic or anything of that kind and I think that was a breath of fresh air.

I'm passing it on to my 13 year old daughter to read as I think she would really enjoy it.

Thursday, May 17th: Sara’s Organized Chaos
Sunday, May 20th: Reading Lark
Monday, May 21st: Life is Short. Read Fast.
Tuesday, May 22nd: Just Joanna
Wednesday, May 23rd: Peeking Between the Pages
Thursday, May 24th: Broken Teepee
Monday, May 28th: Reviews From the Heart
Tuesday, May 29th: Brandi Reads
Wednesday, May 30th: Book Him Danno!
Thursday, May 31st: A Soul Unsung
Friday, June 1st: A Novel Source





Thank you to TLC Book Tours for providing me with a review copy.

2 comments:

Erin Cashman said...

Hi Sandra,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review The Exceptionals. I am so glad that you enjoyed it! I hope your daughter does as well.

Erin

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'd love to see what your daughter thinks of this one once she has a chance to read it!

Thanks for being a part of the tour.