Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Homemaker Monday #20

What a beautiful morning.  Yet again, I am up early instead of sleeping in  Hahahah

Anyway, come on in, I have cinnamon coffee, it's hot, it's yummy and it will start your day off right.

I wasn't sure if I was going to put up the Happy Homemaker Monday post today being that it's Memorial Day, but I figured I would anyway :)



Happy Homemaker Monday
If you want to save and use the new button, just click here.


The weather:::

Hasn't been as hot the past few days but by Wednesday we are back up to the triple digits.  Oh boy!
It's nice right now, only 60 degrees outside so it feels wonderful.  .

 
On my reading pile:::  

Lots of books, if you want a detailed list check out my Spring Reading Thing 2012.  I am actually adding one more book to the list, which I bought yesterday while at the Base BX.  It's the new Sophie Kinsella "Mini Shopaholic".  I LOVE her books and have all of them, so this was a cute surprise to find on the shelf. 
 


On my TV:::

- Watching the third episode of  "Starlings".

- Tonight on the History Channel, I'll be watching "Hatfields & McCoys".  It is a 3 part special about the true American story of a legendary family feud that nearly launched a war between Kentucky and West Virginia.   Click here to watch a preview.

-  Tomorrow my DVR is working overtime, there are so many shows on that I want to watch.
Heads up on a new one on the National Geographic Channel, it's called "American Colony:  Meet the Hutterites".  Looks very interesting.
This weekend, the hubster and I also watched "Jericho".  It's a series that used to be on TV, and we're really enjoying it, so much so that I finished my ripply pillow during our little marathon of the first season :) 




On the menu for this week:::
My husband is going to be on a TDY, which means that I won't be cooking big meals like I usually do.  One way of making the kids feel better and helping them through this time where they miss daddy, is to let them pick the meals they're going to have.  We end up just eating really simple things, and though I'll still cook, the meals are all kid friendly, picked BY them :) 

 Monday -   Zucchini Casserole (recipe will be up on the blog later)
Tuesday -   Portuguese Chicken and Rice
Wednesday -  Zippy Hotdogs
Thursday -   Grilled Cheese and Ham, Veggies
Friday -  Homemade Mac and Cheese
Saturday -   Tuna Salad
Sunday -   Beef pot pies, yogurt, fruit
 


On my to do list:::

Laundry as usual
Last minute stuff that needs to be done before hubby leaves


What I am sewing, crocheting, knitting or creating:::

Working on a project that I set aside a long time ago, just want to get it finished now.  It's my African Flowers Lap Blanket.

African Flowers Lap Blanket


Summer Fun::: (this one will take over for the homeschooling until school starts up again.  You can share an activity, or a recipe, or a photo, or anything you wish to show us what your family is doing for summer)

Hubby is going to be gone for most of the summer and the kids are not happy about it at all.  So to keep them entertained in order for the time to pass faster, we picked up the Dangerous Book for Boys for Nicholas, and for Jasmine, I already had the Double Daring Book for Girls which I received for a review back in 2009.  
They've been going through the books and have found so many interesting things to do while daddy is gone, it's fun seeing them so excited :)



Looking around the house:::

I'm at the kitchen table typing this entry.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, including the pugs, is still in bed asleep.
I have two loaves of Artisan Bread rising on the counter right now, so we'll have some fresh hot bread for breakfast.
The house is actually clean, I did that yesterday so there's nothing to pick up or straighten up right now :)

From the camera:::

Getting the artisan bread dough ready last night.  It has to sit on the counter for 12 hours :)  

Night time




Something fun to share:::

I guess the fact that I'm back to blogging and back to my old self is something fun to share, right???  
I've also returned to my old food blog, or rather, my real food blog, the Wordpress one never really felt like home to me.  
I'm trying to turn my blog into a book and though there are several websites out there who will do it, it's actually quite expensive.  The mere size of my blog means that I have to split it not only into years, but months.  I was only able to fit 3 months of 2006 into one book and it would cost me $89 for the color, or $49 for black and white.  Yikes.  
So I'm trying to go a different route with a real homemade book.  I'm setting up the pages as I want, copying the posts one by one etc.  Then I'll print them out and bind them by hand and also make a leather cover for it.  It's going to take me a very long time, but I think it's a project well worth undertaking :)


On my prayer list:::

My husband as he prepares for the TDY, I pray for a safe trip.  Please keep him and the rest of the guys going with, in your prayers. 
Praying for you all out there, whatever it may be that you need prayers for, that the Lord comfort you and Bless you.


Bible verse, Devotional::: 

But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.
Romans 3:21-24


9 comments:

Dianna Kennedy said...

This is my first time stopping by -- love this link up! Looking forward to trying the zippy hotdogs with my children!

Kathy Skinner (Kat) said...

I wasn't sure how to link my post but you can view it at http://katsretirementjourney.blogspot.com/2012/06/happy-homemaker-monday-21.html. I enjoy your blog and look forward to the next Homemaker Monday:)

Sandra said...

So glad that you're back in the "blogging groove" Sandra!! :) Your recipes are simply fabulous & your "regular" blog posts are inspiring and I always look forward to reading them! Your African flowers blanket is beautiful!! Please post a photo when its completed for us to see!

Sandra said...

If you wanted to go the eBook route you should check out Smashwords.

Sandra said...

The kids' books sound like fun.  What is TDY?  I'll be praying for you whilst your hubby is away. xx

Sandra said...

will keep your family in my prayers as you face TDY and separation this summer ...

we too have the Daring books for girls and boys too - they are so fun!!  :)

Sandra said...

I saw a commercial for the Hatfields & McCoys and wanted to see it, but we don't have cable. I had to settle for a little internet research on the subject. Your blanket makes me want to crochet again.

Sandra said...

Thank you for reminding me about the Hatfield's and McCoy's.  I've been so excited for that and couldn't remember when it was to be on.  I need to catch the repeat of last night's tonight as well.  Also, the Meet the Hutterites show.  I can't wait for that one either.

I love the shopaholic series.  I say that those books are groan worthy.  You get so attached to Rebecca that when she does something she shouldn't you can't help but groan.  I have not read all of the books, but maybe I should add them to my summer reading list.

That's so exciting about turning your blog into a book.  It's a great idea.  I've seen all those websites for it, but doing it your self is probably best, even if money wasn't an issue.  It's your life in a book, and you have a vision for how you want it to be.  If you do it yourself, it will turn out more true to how you want it to be and just more true to you in general.

Sandra said...

HA!  I woke up this morning thinking it was Monday, and thinking that it was maybe too early for your Homemaker post (you are 2 hours earlier than me), but it's here anyway because I missed logging in yesterday to see it!  What a happy surprize!  I enjoy reading about your days very much.   So good to hear that Nicholas and Jasmine love to pursue their own crafts (the books you got them for summer fun)....of course they have a great role model in you!

Sending gentle thoughts your way as you prepare for hubby's TDY.  Thank him for me for all that he does in his military life...Memorial Day is very special, and I appreciate the sacrifices that you all as a military family make...because of your blog, Sandra, I understand it all much better.

Lizzie in Mississippi