Thursday, December 22, 2016

BLOGMAS 2016 - Day 21 and 22

I missed yesterday, AGAIN hahaha


I am trying, I really am, but life is busy as heck and I think I bit off more than I can chew.  Have a lot to do and not quite sure how I'm going to get it all done, but nonetheless I will try my best and by the time the clock strikes midnight on Christmas Eve, I WILL have everything done, and I'll be sitting with a glass of wine watching the family open their gifts :)


Anyway, I'm combining the two days into one, they kind of go together.  I've talked about our family traditions in a previous blogmas post so there is no need to repeat.


I'll just talk about what I've been doing to get ready for the big day. 


#1 LISTS.....yes lists of Christmas presents and places to go and get them etc.  I am super late with gifts this year and as I've said before, I have to get everything done tomorrow.  It's going to be insane out there so I plan on knowing exactly what I'm getting who and which store to head to so we can get in and get out as fast as possible.


#2......grocery list and menu planning for the next 2 weeks.  Yes, because even though it's Christmas, it has fallen right in the middle of my two week grocery plan.  I actually think I may try to do shopping for one week at a time again and see how I do.  If it doesn't work, I'll go right back to the usual two weeks.


#3......baking and more baking.  I've been in the kitchen for days getting things done, I plan on having most of the food ready before Saturday.  I won't have time to do anything tomorrow and Saturday I need to wrap, wrap, and wrap.




This takes me right back to my childhood.  I was thinking a few weeks back, that I would love to make this Meat Bread for Christmas, but I couldn't remember the recipe.  About a week ago, I was cleaning and reorganizing and found one of my folders with old recipes, some handwritten.  In it was my dad's recipe for this Bola de Carne.  It is a bread that has ham, bacon and chourico inside.  It came out exactly like my dad's and I couldn't be happier.  I'm planning on making another one either tomorrow night or Saturday morning.


Here's the recipe if you want to try, it's super simple.


Dad's Bola de Carne - Meat Bread

4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 cup of milk
Chopped ham, chourico and bacon

In a bowl mix together the eggs and oil until well incorporated.  In a smaller bowl, mix the flour and baking powder.  Add to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk.  Mix well until everything is combined.

This is not going to be your typical bread dough, it is a wet mushy dough.  Add in the chopped ham, chopped bacon and chopped chourico. Stir to combine.

Pour into a greased dish and bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Enjoy!!!





A Portuguese Christmas wouldn't be real without a Bolo Rei - King's Cake on the table.  I made two smaller ones this year, but they are fantastic.  Another dish that takes me back to my childhood. :)


I've also made my usual Fruit Cakes, the Rissois are all made and frozen just ready to fry.  I am currently in the process of making some South African Koeksisters


2010_11180026


I have a house to clean to be ready for guests, and more baking and cooking.


Just a really busy time for me.  How are you all preparing for the holidays?




BLOGMAS 2016 PROMPTS


Day 1 - The Christmas Tag
Day 2 - Christmas Movies on the Must Watch List
Day 3 - Christmas Wishlist
Day 4 - Christmas Playlist
Day 5 - Pictures and Memories of Christmas Past
Day 6 - Pot Simmer Recipes
Day 7 - Cookies to be Baked (can be a recipe you make every year, or some you want to try)
Day 8 - Favorite Family Christmas Recipe
Day 9 - How do you decorate?
Day 10 - Real Tree or Artificial Tree
Day 11 - Stocking Stuffer Ideas
Day 12 - Quiet Christmas or Family Filled Loud Party Christmas?
Day 13 - Christmas Cards (do you send them, show us your favorites this year, or tells your favorite cards to send whether vintage, or bright and colorful)
Day 14 - Advent Calendar
Day 15 - Christmas Party Food Ideas
Day 16 - Winter Tag
Day 17 - Christmas Wishes
Day 18 - Homemade or Store Bought (What are you giving this year)
Day 19 - Recap of Christmas 2015 in pictures
Day 20 -  Christmas Decorations Reveal (show us your tree, your home decor, your mantle, anything you want)
Day 21 - Holiday Family Traditions
Day 22 - Preparing for the big day (show us your wrapping skills, are you making lists, getting the house ready for guests?)
Day 23 - Post whatever you wish
Day 24 - Christmas Eve (Are you opening presents tonight, is this your big celebration, what are you doing)

3 comments:

GranthamLynn said...

Merry Christmas.

Daniela said...

Thanks most sincerely for hosting me today !
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, I'm sending blessings on your days to come

Xx Daniela at - My little old world -

Pamela said...

I loved reading your BLOGMAS posts and I hope you plan to do it again in 2017. My whole blog suffered greatly from my husband's return (finally!) from a seven-month deployment, a rush to see as much as we could in Washington while we still had time, and a cross-country move in late November culminating in a move into our new house and the delivery of our household goods at the beginning of December. Just as all the boxes were unpacked and everything was organized, it was time to decorate for Christmas. Crazy is an understatement!

My goal for 2017 is to blog regularly. Wish me luck! Happy New Year!