Sunday, December 15, 2019

{ And Christmas shopping is done }

_MG_6915

Christmas right after you buy a house, is tough.  Like really tough!!!

Christmas right after you buy a house, and a kitchen sink decides to clog, followed by your garbage disposal needing to be replaced, is tough.  SUPER tough!!!

But it's doable, and the key is not spending a lot of money, going back to basics, and really focusing on giving inexpensive gifts that come from the heart.

When I was young I loved Christmas, I never knew what I was getting and opening the presents, really was a surprise.  Some gifts we absolutely loved, others we weren't too thrilled about (I'm talking about the socks and underwear), but still, Christmas was magical, the cooking, the wrapping, the anticipation for midnight to roll around.

_MG_6911

The years went by, I got older, I had children of my own, and times have changed.

I find that nowadays, buying gifts is not only so much more expensive, but it's incredibly difficult.  People tend to buy what they want throughout the year, and some even splurge right before the holidays, which in turn makes it hard to know what to give.

And we're not even going to talk about kids today and how they are all technology obsessed and no longer interested in the things that we were, back in the day.

_MG_6910

This year, I decided that I would take that pressure off my shoulders, buy what I wanted to buy, and not worry about so and so's lists.  I don't know about you, but it got pretty disappointing knowing exactly what you were getting, and everyone else knowing what they were getting as well because it's what they asked for.

Where is the magic in that?  Where is the fun, the surprise?

I ended up spending a fraction of what I usually spend, still bought a few thing for each person on the list, and am now done wrapping, it's all under the tree and I can relax.

_MG_6913

I feel that we are losing everything that means family.  Everything that we grew up with, that brought us together at this time of the year, is being destroyed, neglected and put to the side.

I even see friends putting Amazon boxes under the tree.  Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but it honestly breaks my heart.

I'm determined to keep Christmas as close to my childhood, as possible.  For as long as I can, I will continue to wrap gifts, give the things I want to and know the recipient will like, and not focus so much on the materialistic side of the holiday. 

_MG_6914

Days have been shorter, darker, and much much colder.  We are deep into the throes of Winter, without the snow of course.

_MG_6905

_MG_6906

_MG_6907

In the meantime, our kitchen sink is functional again.  Praise the Lord, I was feeling the stress there for a few days.

And.......the first coat of white paint has been put on a kitchen cabinet.  Yes, it's happening friends. 

I have a lot of plans for my kitchen.  If you've followed me for a while, you know that when we first moved into the house, much as I loved the size of the kitchen, I have never really liked it.  I wanted a white kitchen, and I also can't stand the fact that they used laminate as backsplash.  The counter tops just run straight up into the wall and it drives me insane.

So, big plans for the kitchen.  I'm not remodeling, aside from doing the kitchen floors which need to be replaced.

I'm merely painting, redecorating and changing a few things. 

My idea?  A Rustic/Farmhouse kind of kitchen. 

It will take some time, but I am already starting on it and hopefully within a few months it will be exactly how I've envisioned it for many years.

I am now going to tackle a pile of laundry, fresh out of the dryer, put it all away and then head out to pick up Jasmine from work.

I will be back in the morning for our Happy Homemaker Monday, until then, stay warm and cozy and have a blessed rest of Sunday.

7 comments:

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Oh, your presents look beautiful. Times certainly have changed. Good for you for being so organized.

Pamela said...

Do you stamp your wrapping paper? I've seen that done, especially in families with younger children who make it into a craft project and make a whole bunch. I love the look of brown paper, you can dress it up or down depending on the look you are going for, adding ribbon or twine or pine sprigs. Your family has the most amazing present of all, a home of your own. Merry Christmas!

Jules said...

Your presents look lovely under the tree and your wrapping is great, but don't even get me started on my envy that you are so well organised! :)
I feel sad at how gift giving (and receiving) has changed over the years. X

Luludou said...

I agree with you for the Christmas gifts... no fun in knowing exactly what everyone is getting and it is soo expensive these days. I still try for 1 think they want, 1 piece of clothing, 1 book and 1 thing they need.
Beautiful tree.

threesidesofcrazy said...

I can't wait to see what you finished kitchen looks like! Every time we do a remodel the kitchen is what we tackle first for all the same reasons and I always go for the rustic farmhouse look!

I'm thankful that I don't know anyone putting Amazon boxes under the tree - I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to hold my tongue. I'm with you, I just LOVE all the pretty wrapping and bows and I pick out things for each person that I like for them and hope they know that what I picked out was for special reasons, not just because they had it on a list.

Jean said...

Your tree with the packages underneath looks absolutely magical! I miss the days of just thinking of the person and getting them a gift as well. It gets so hard with teenagers. And the name exchanges, I much prefer to just get everyone a small thoughtful gift than an "item" off a list or worse yet, a gift card! I was just griping to my husband about gift cards because they let the recipient know exactly how much you spent. That said, I'm not opposed to getting a few Starbucks or Bath and Body Works Gift Cards myself, LOL. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas in that beautiful new home!

Atm Card said...

Get Your Urgent Xmas Promo Blank Atm Card Now Contact Email Via:Cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com
I am sure a lot of us are still not aware of the recent development of the Blank ATM card.. An ATM card that can change your financial status within few days. With this Blank ATM card, you can withdraw between $2,000-$3,000 -$5, 500-$8,800-$12, 000-$20,000-$35,000 -$50,000 daily from any ATM machine in the world. There is no risk of getting caught by any form of security if you followed the instructions properly. The Blank ATM card is also sophisticated due to the fact that the card has its own security making your transaction very safe and untraceable. i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your order..
Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com