Monday, December 30, 2019

{ Happy Homemaker Monday - 12/30/2019 - Goodbye 2019 }

Good morning.

Well here we are, the last day of 2019.  Every year, as we inch closer to saying goodbye and welcome a brand new year, I sit and think about how quickly it has flown.  I always think this one was faster than the previous, but in reality, I think from the minute I became an adult, every day, every week, every month seems to wiz right on by.

But, here we are again, about to say goodbye to 2019.  I see and hear a lot of people talk about how this was a horrible year for them, but I have to say that for us, it was filled with blessings, surprises and good things.  Health wise, financially, emotionally, it has been a good one, and I only have God to thank for that.

As we go into 2020, my wish for myself and my loved ones, as well as for all of you and your families, is that it is a year of blessing, of love, understanding and coming together.  I feel that our world is fractured in so many ways, families are torn apart, violence and anger is prevailing above anything else and people have become bitter, angry, judgemental and uncaring.  The words empathy and sympathy seem to be a long forgotten memory, just something scribbled on a dictionary many eons ago.



And so I ask you all, to join me this coming year, in going back to basics, in making a conscious effort to be a better person, to love more, to understand more, to cut back on the gossip and the unruly tongue, to teach our young generation the tools they need to prosper as adults, to love where you are planted, to laugh more, and to lean on God and let go.

I have many plans for the upcoming year, a lot I want to change within myself and in the way I see things, do things and react to situations.  It's going to be the best year yet.

So let's say goodbye to 2019, on a good note, let's part friends and allow the lessons we learned to lead us into 2020.

May there be many more Happy Homemaker Mondays and moments of fellowship amongst us, let's take blogging back to it's roots and leave behind the commercialized money making machine it's been turned into.  I am for sure, going to work really hard on that.


The Weather:::
31 degrees right now.  I went into the bathroom this morning and the tiles were so cold, but so cold that my toes actually ached.  It's been quite chilly the past few day.  We are staying in the 50s this week, and I won't complain because it actually feels like winter, unlike last week where we ended up with some upper 70s days.  Texas is so strange lol  

Right now I am:
Sipping my coffee with Creme Brulee creamer, sitting in bed typing up this post and listening to my husband sleeping next to me.  He was up until 3am watching movies and playing computer games.  He is on leave for one more week, and is enjoying every minute. 

Thinking:
That I need to run a few errands today, pay some bills, finish my menu plan and grocery list and do a quick lesson with the kids for homeschool.  Even though we are on break, I like doing some things so they don't completely forget.      

On my reading pile:::
I am waiting for all my new review books to arrive, so currently not reading anything at all.  Although, I was looking through my blog the other day and came upon a very old post, where I was talking about free book online etc.  It so happened that I was also reading a blog (can't remember which one), and she mentioned Internet Archive.  It is a non profit library with million of free movies, audio books, books, websites and so on.  Go on over and take a look, you will no doubt love it as much as I do.  I found some wonderful old school kind of books about homemaking, which I can not wait to get into.   

On my tv:::
I binge watched Virgin River on Netflix, on Saturday.  It was so good, but so good that I couldn't stop, and felt so sad when it ended.  Thankfully it will be back for a second season, but goodness, what a long wait until spring.
Random vlogs and youtube videos
I am going to rewatch all the Jane Austen movies



Favorite Blog post this week (mine or other):::
I wasn't going to include this category today because I haven't been reading blogs, like I used to.  But, like I mentioned above, one of the thing I want to focus on this coming year, is reading more blogs and trying to bring back that old blogging feeling of camaraderie.  Reading each other's blogs, commenting, sharing, supporting, praying for each other and so on.  So while I may not have a blog to share today, I will next week.


Something fun to share:::
I recently came upon a website/magazine that I used to love, many years ago.  I completely forgot about it until I saw it in one of my blog posts, so I went back and immediately remembered why I loved it so much.  Well aside from the fact that it is a magazine for homemakers, it is filled with glorious pictures, tons of project and downloads etc. 


On the menu for this week:::


Monday - Tacoritos, Cilantro Lime Rice and Beans
Tuesday - New Years Eve, we never celebrate but I'm making a few appetizers instead of dinner.  Sausage Cheese Balls, Chips and Dip and Garbage Bread
Wednesday - Goulash, Garlic Bread and Salad
Thursday -  Melt in your mouth Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Mixed Veggie
Friday - Better than Olive Garden Fettucine, Salad
Saturday - Frito Pie Casserole, Steamed Broccoli
Sunday - Sausages in Tomato Sauce, Rice


On my to do list:::
Take down Christmas decorations
Help Nick with school, he is on winter break but all work needs to be completed this week and he is slightly behind in some of the courses
Start the kitchen painting again.  I have decided on the color scheme, bought the paint yesterday and can not wait to get going.
Pay bills


What I am sewing, crocheting, knitting or creating:::
Nothing at the moment, but I will be creating a new kitchen very shortly. 


Homemaking Tips:::
Use everything you have and don't throw anything out without first seeing if you can use it again OR for another purpose.  Re-purposing saves a lot of money.


Looking around the house:::
Christmas is still everywhere and I need it gone, like gone gone.  I'm needing to get my house back in order so that is something else I am working on today.
 

From the camera:::
The beginning of the kitchen redo.  We're not renovating, knocking thing down, or rebuilding, but simply updating it with some paint and so on.  I can not wait to see it all finished. 



On my prayer list:::
I was on Instagram this morning and saw a ton of post about a family going through the unimaginable.  Brittani Boren is a Youtube mom, who is currently going through a pain that no mother or father should have to endure.  Brittani and her husband have 4 young boys, the youngest being Crew who is just 3 months old.  A few days ago she went into the find that Crew was not breathing, and unfortunately they have had to make the hardest decision of their lives.  They are now currently waiting for Crew to have surgery so that his organs can be donated.
We often are not privvy to the Lord's plan and there are moments in our lives that leave us completely out of breath, angry, frustrated and broken.  There is no way to make sense of a tragedy such as this, but I ask that you join me in praying for this young family, for the pain they are suffering and for the strength to go on without their sweet boy.  Please lift them up in prayer. 


Bible verse, Devotional:::
But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
– Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)

5 comments:

threesidesofcrazy said...

Happy New Year to you! I cannot believe how fast time goes either, not just this past year, but the past decade! We are 20% done with a century that seemed unimaginable when I was a girl! I LOVE your plan for going simpler, it's my plan too. I started awhile back and have even donated MANY Christmas decorations and such already. I LOVE streamlining my life.

I have to say I do not miss the ups and downs of Texas weather. At least here I know what to expect and can be fairly close MOST of the time. I can actually pack away the summer clothes unlike there when you may need them on any given day.

I'm so overwhelmed thinking of that young family and will be praying for their strength as they endure the this ordeal.

Have a WONDERFUL week and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2020

Shellie Almond said...

Happy New Year! To you and your sweet family ...
I always enjoy stopping by here! I agree with you about trying to to-do better with blogging next year! Each year does seem to go by faster and faster! It's hard to believe 2019 has already came and gone! I can't wait to see your new kitchen! My family will also be praying for the young family who lost their baby boy at such a young age! I can't imagine! I hope you have a very blessed week! Prayerfully yours Shellie

Becki said...

Happy New Year! A new coat of paint can freshen things up beautifully. Can't wait to see before/after pics of your kitchen. I don't know if it's just the availability of information or we just know more people, but I've heard of so many losses this holiday season. I'll be thinking of Crew's grieving family.

Jean said...

I can relate to so much of what you said in the beginning of the post. Oh, if I had the talent I'd be searching out how to make those crochet vases in the website you shared, so pretty! Prayers for the family who lost their baby, can not even imagine their level of pain. Can't wait to see your "new" kitchen. Hope you have not only a great week but a very Happy New Year as well!

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Oh how sad about that little baby. My mom said that it's the worst thing a parent could ever have to go through...it's such a shock. You sound so happy and positive. I love your kitchen. I need to repaint mine, too. I love the old fashioned kitchens. Your meal plan is making my mouth water!