Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cooking Thursday!


I've been doing the Slow Cooking Thursday for so long now, years actually, and it's had a good run but I've noticed lately that everyone seems to be running out of crockpot recipes to share and I don't want to completely do away with the feature, so I thought it time to change it up a bit.

Cooking Thursday will now replace our weekly crockpot feature to include not only those recipes but also any kind you may wish to share......breakfast, main dishes, desserts etc.

So won't you join me and share with us one of your new recipes, or an old family favorite, you can even throw in a recipe for homemade soaps or detergents (just remember to specify).

For the guidelines, you can go here.

********************************************
2010_02160007

OVEN CHICKEN AND RICE

8 chicken thighs
1 chourico, sliced
1 medium carrot, sliced
garlic
olive oil
salt and pepper
2 tbsp tomato paste
beef stock
rice
sweet peas


In a large skillet, add a little bit of olive oil and the garlic. Cook until the garlic starts crackling, add the chicken thighs and cook for a few minutes on each side until brown.

Add the sliced carrots and chourico, cook for another 5 or so minutes.

Add the tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste and the beef stock. I just eyeball it, you need enough liquid in there to make a good amount of gravy and to cook the rice in. (I made 1 and a half cups of rice, so I added about 3 cups of beef stock).

Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, keep checking the skillet to make sure you don't run out of liquid.

Remove the chicken to a separate dish, then take out the bones and cut it into big chunks.

Add the rice and the peas and cook until the rice is done, add the chicken to the skillet, mix well and then pour everything into a pyrex dish.

Pop in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy!


2010_02160008


9 comments:

Jen said...

This looks SO good. I put my link up but it is not showing up. Just an FYI.

Blessings,
Jen

annies home said...

sounds delicious and filling

Renee said...

This looks so yummy! Thanks for hosting this.

Mari said...

Sounds really good - but what is chourico?

Sandra said...

Mari, chourico is a portuguese smoked sausage, you can also find the spanish version. But you can use any kind of smoked sausage you have around :)

Heart2Heart said...

Sandra,

Just the picture alone when you open this post makes your mouth water. Thanks for sharing this and I can't wait to try it.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Anonymous said...

This is going in my yummy casserole files (the ones that DO NOT need a can of "cream of whatever" soup).


Thanks for sharing and hosting.

YayaOrchid said...

Emeril Lagasse always cooked up something wth chorico. I suspect it's nothing like Mexican chorizo though. Which brings me to a question. YOu're in Arizona, so where do you get your Portuguese or Spanish chorico? I'd love to find a source for it. Ive never tried it, but it must be delicious!

Elenka said...

Just copied and pasted this one, my dear, for future reference. Thanks!