Friday, July 20, 2018

{ Burnt Toast }

_MG_2399

There are moments in life, that immediately take us back to another time.  Maybe it's a memory from adulthood, or as most often it occurs, our childhood.

Burnt Toast!!!

_MG_2389

I was making some breakfast for myself this morning, and I used a bread roll in the toaster.  Because it was thicker than the usual sliced bread, some of it caught and burned.

I pulled it from the toaster, grabbed the butter knife and instinctively started scraping the burned edges.  Without even realizing, I was transported back to my childhood.

_MG_2390

Standing at the kitchen door, I see my greatgrandmother making toast, and scraping off the burned edges with a butter knife.  The scraping sound and the smell of burning was deeply ingrained in my memory and I hadn't even thought of it until this very moment.

_MG_2366

Take for example this cereal above.  When I visited the Portuguese store in San Diego, one thing my eyes caught on was this cereal that I remember eating as a child, in Portugal.

I could almost taste it.

Yesterday for breakfast, I made a bowl and as soon as I took a bite, I knew that this was it.  I closed my eyes and again, was back in Portugal, eating a bowl at the kitchen table, getting ready to head to school.  Mind you, I was 5 years old, so to be able to still remember exactly where I was and what I felt, is a blessing.

Funny enough, I had this conversation with my Nicholas yesterday.  He always comes out of his bedroom and chats with me when I'm preparing dinner.  It's such a small gesture, but it's something I absolutely love and will treasure for many many years to come.  I'm quite certain that in years to come, he will find himself transported back in time to this kitchen too.

_MG_2367

The past two days I've been homemaking at full speed.  One of the things I've been catching up on, is laundry, and since it's been so incredibly hot here in Texas, I've been making full use of the wash line to hang the clothes out to dry.

_MG_2376

And when the homemaking is done, I always take an hour or two to sit on the couch, catch up on some shows and crochet.

I've completely caught up on Call the Midwife, and am almost done catching up with Poldark, next on the list is When Calls the Heart.  After that, I think I may start watching Anne with an E on Netflix.  I know there have been mixed reviews on it, but I always prefer to watch for myself and make my own opinion, so I'll give it a go.

_MG_2388

Life is made of little moments.  Every single thing we do is a potential memory maker not only for us, but for those around us.  Choose wisely how you spend your time and influence those around you.

You could be someone's fond memory, or worst nightmare.  Just think about that for a second.

I had never really thought of it like that, and then realized that just as I have such wonderful memories that take me back in time to my childhood, I could have easily had awful things to block out.  So with that in mind, I'm determined to give my children nothing but wonderful moments to reflect back on when they leave home.

I'll close this with a question because I am quite curious.....do you ever have those moments where you're also taken back in time?  I would love to know :)

3 comments:

Pamela said...

I can't believe that something like burnt toast is a memory for you, too. My aunt in England had an eye level grill so you would think that toast would never get to the stage where it was burnt but no, I think she burnt it every time. Every time I burn a piece of toast, I am transported to my child and early adulthood and find myself right back in her kitchen, a precious memory.

Susanne said...

Funny you should mention that but the smell of laundry rinsed in Downey and dried on the line because that is what my mom did for years before she ever got a dryer. And in the summer, just like you, she'd still hang it out to dry.

Helena Dias said...

Sandra, was it a Seabras store you visited in San Diego?