Wednesday, December 23, 2020

{ Elliott got neutered, ready for Christmas and some bread baking }

IMG_0218 

We are inching ever so close to Christmas day. 

My word, has this year flown by. 

I don't think anyone is complaining because it definitely has been one for the history books.  But through all the chaos, grief, craziness, obstacles thrown our way, it has also brought my family abundant blessings and a huge growth spiritually.

IMG_0214

I am still not quite there with the Christmas spirit, but I do remind myself daily that the reason we celebrate, is not one to let slip by unnoticed.  So for that reason alone, I am pushing on and trying my best to embrace the season.

IMG_0216

The days have slowed down, the temperatures have been true to winter, well, somewhat, because the past two days we've hit the 70s.  Go figure!

I have been spending time in the kitchen, organizing and changing things around a bit.  I don't know about you all, but I feel that things are never quiet like I want them to be.  I think it should be one way, this drawer for that thing, or that shelf for this and that, and then as I go about my day, I realize that it's not working.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that, even 5 years into living in this house, I don't think I've yet figured out exactly where I want my kitchen things to go.  Hahahah 

Maybe one day I'll get there.

 

IMG_0217

My Christmas shopping is completely done, everything is wrapped and under the tree.  Actually, I do have my brother's present still arriving, hopefully today.  That will be the last one to wrap and then yes, I can say I am officially done. 

We are spending Christmas Eve at my brother's house, and then Christmas day at home, as we always do, eating leftovers and enjoying all the new gifts we receive.

I will show you what I get in a post after Christmas, probably this coming weekend.

  IMG_0220

I've done quite a bit of baking, Portuguese rolls, Italian Bread and some amazing butter swim biscuits.  I really need to get these all on the food blog, but I just haven't had the time.

Switching gears a bit because I want to show you my Philodendron.  Remember I got her back in the summer?

IMG_0232

She has grown sooooooo much.  She is actually now resting on my Peace Lily, crazy.

I have trimmed her, I have also propagated her and now have a new one growing.  I will take pictures of that one and show you as well.  Once it rooted, I transplanted it to a pot with soil and she is very happy in there.

  IMG_0233

 Our little Elliott got neutered yesterday morning.  It broke my heart to leave him at the vet, I always feel so bad leaving them with strangers.  I would like to say that I didn't cry, but that would be a lie hahah

I was counting down the minutes until we could pick him up.  When we did, the nurse asked us to go back with her because he was not happy at all.  He was still coming out of anesthesia, his pupils were dilated and obviously he didn't know anyone around him, so he was hissing and growling at the nurses.

As soon as we walked in, I called his name and starting talking to him like I do, and he gave out the sweetest meow and calmed down.  Curt got him from the cage and wrapped him in his blanket.  I held him all the way home and he just either stared up at me, or closed his eyes and burrowed his face into my chest.  Poor baby.

  IMG_0235 

I will say, this was the easiest neutering ever.  He came home with no pain, no sutures and no cone.  He was starving, so was very happy to get his food and then even though he was slightly drowsy still, he started playing with his toys, jumping off and on things (much to my distress, but you can't really control a cat from jumping).

We opted to do a laser treatment on his incision, which was done right after surgery and closed up the incision, there was no need for sutures and it also means no risk of infection etc.  For $25, I think it is well worth it.  He hasn't licked at the area, he hasn't messed with it, he is already acting like his old self.  It is great.

  IMG_0241

 He has been quite sleepy though.  They gave us some pain meds for the next two days, and I gave him one this morning.  He has been sleeping since then, which is wonderful to see, it means he is healing and not jumping up and down on things.

  IMG_0237

 I have also been enjoying my time with God.  I never thought I would enjoy reading the Bible as much as I have.  I will say, getting the right version makes all the difference in the world.  This is my first NIV version and I wish all my other Bibles were the same, it makes reading the word a breeze, I understand it, which is a great thing especially when you're moving through the Old Testament. 

  IMG_0236

Another thing I've been busy with, is creating a new recipe folder for myself.  I love old folders.  I won't say I don't like having recipes online, I mean,  I have a food blog for goodness sake, but I really enjoy having a folder with printed or hand written recipes.

So, been printing a lot of yummy recipes, some favorites that I want to have on hand, other new ones that I tried and have enjoyed too.  It's been a lot of fun.

Today I plan on going through my hand written recipes, I have some with my grandmothers handwriting, that I want to put in this folder too.

  IMG_0238

Also received some amazing Gooseberry Patch Christmas books from my sweet friend Tina.  She is such a sweetheart and knows how much I love Gooseberry Patch.  Thank you Tina :)

So there you have it, that is what has been going on here at home.

I am looking forward to the beginning of a new year, and to really get back to blogging.  If 2020 taught me something, is that life is short and time is precious, and we need to do what we love and enjoy, and stop focusing on things that don't matter.

It was a hard lesson to learn but it sure has changed my perspective on many things.

Anyway, I think I have talked for long enough, if you've made it all the way to the bottom here, thank you and God bless you hahah

I'm off to get dressed, start a load of laundry and then run to Walmart with Curt, I'm not sure what he needs but he wants to run by there quick.

Have a wonderful Wednesday friends.  Hope you are all ready for Christmas.

3 comments:

Tina said...

We finished with the pecan harvest Two Days before Christmas. Danny took Luke to work with him and I was able to buy his Christmas last Friday morning and then he kept him outside Saturday so I got it all wrapped and hid. Had family over Wednesday until yesterday evening. We simplified our Christmas meal a few years ago so now we have standing prime rib, mashed potatoes, green beans, roll and apple pie and ice cream. I put up pies in the fall. So, easy-peasy! Do you know what I’m doing now...nothin! Lol! Sitting in front of the fire. The house is clean, there are plenty of leftovers to eat, I’m watching Doc Martin and reading a Bella Grace magazine that I’ve had no time before to read. Actually, this moment I’m all alone!! Praise the Lord! I’m so glad Elliot’s surgery is done and he’s done so well! That’s awesome! Everything sounds nice and peaceful there. Looks beautiful and cozy. Praying 2021 will be better for us all. Love you sister!

Mom of 12 said...

Love your fun blog! Thanks for following me.
Sandy

Morena flor said...

O fim do ano é sempre um bom momento para pensarmos um pouco sobre a vida, lembrar das maravilhas que temos a agradecer e também de tudo aquilo que nunca mais voltaremos a fazer. Toda nova etapa deve ser comemorada, ganhamos uma ótima oportunidade de eliminar tudo que já não traz felicidade para nossas vidas e assim obtemos mais espaço para vivermos novas alegrias! Vamos nos cercar de pensamentos positivos e continuar a dar o nosso melhor sempre que possível. Que este novo ano chegue primeiramente com muita saúde e coragem, pois assim já temos o suficiente para conseguirmos todo o resto. Um forte abraço ! Elisabete.